Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Overland UK to Italy

Overland UK to Italy

Old Jun 11th 2020, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all
Default Re: Overland UK to Italy

Originally Posted by Jake.White
As far as I can tell from the info available on the Austrian embassy website the same situation applies, or will apply from the 16th June, to transit travellers where you may enter the country provided you travel through without stopping. I could get away with that as my stretch through Austria is about 60-70 miles or thereabouts and takes only slightly longer than an hour. The problem with France as I see it is that you might have a bit of a tough time driving all the way to the Swiss border from Calais without a fuel stop, (what is the mileage for that anyway..?) and as soon as you get out of your vehicle and start interacting with others all the implications of spreading the disease and enforced quarantine start to raise their ugly heads.. I don’t know how you would get around that as things currently stand.. Maybe carrying a current medical certificate with a negative covid test result would help..
We cut across country to Belgium and refuel in Luxembourg which is the cheapest fuel in Europe.We go back into France at Metz.and skirt Strasbourg into Swiss at Basle.The only tolls are from Metz to Strasbourg about 14 euro.Do a few dummy routes on a sat nav,you'll see all the options.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian12
We cut across country to Belgium and refuel in Luxembourg which is the cheapest fuel in Europe.We go back into France at Metz.and skirt Strasbourg into Swiss at Basle.The only tolls are from Metz to Strasbourg about 14 euro.Do a few dummy routes on a sat nav,you'll see all the options.
Yup, that's the way to do it. Cheapest and fastest. If you can be bothered to get CHF40 in cash when you cross the border to Switzerland you save a few quid on the cost of the vignette.
Driving south, through Luxembourg, the fuel stop has a few decent options for food. Coming back north you only get McDonalds. No fair!
Old Jun 11th 2020, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Accetturese
Yup, that's the way to do it. Cheapest and fastest. If you can be bothered to get CHF40 in cash when you cross the border to Switzerland you save a few quid on the cost of the vignette.
Driving south, through Luxembourg, the fuel stop has a few decent options for food. Coming back north you only get McDonalds. No fair!
You get what you deserve..
Old Jun 11th 2020, 9:52 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Accetturese
Originally Posted by Geordieborn
You get what you deserve..
There are two service areas when traversing LX by motorway, Capellen on the Belgian side, Berchem on the French side.

So, when heading north, if you still have a few litres in the tank and don't fancy McDonalds, don't pit at Berchem, push on for Capellen.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Luxembourg is quite small,the first time we drove North,we blinked and ended up in Belgium not realising we had left LB until we saw the fuel prices,lol.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Well if this is to be believed then it is looking hopeful for Monday

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...pe-from-Monday

and according to the article they are quoting the French touirsm minister.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
I always buy mine at the border it only takes a couple of minutes, they are very efficient. DFDS have upped the price of a ferry crossing on the 22nd. June from £65 to £80 in line with P and O. Either they know something or they are guessing, either way I am not booking ahead of an official announcement but it's looking hopeful.
I checked and it's only 20 odd quid extra by train.Mind you if in no rush,I like to have my last full English on the ferry,lol.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Overland UK to Italy

I checked and it's only 20 odd quid extra by train.Mind you if in no rush,I like to have my last full English on the ferry,lol.
That is a very good point. I normally take the ferry because it is so much cheaper but if P and O and DFDS are price hiking then I think for the extra money the train looks very good, less hassle and much quicker. I just hope they don't decide to join in the price hike jamboree.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

That is a very good point. I normally take the ferry because it is so much cheaper but if P and O and DFDS are price hiking then I think for the extra money the train looks very good, less hassle and much quicker. I just hope they don't decide to join in the price hike jamboree.
Bottom line,the train and then the toll road to Metz is a bit quicker but a lot more expensive with tolls and full price fuel.We go to Dunkirk now because the road we use into Belgium and Luxembourg via Lille starts at Dunkirk and it's a half hour drive from Calais to Dunkirk anyway.We've tried all the routes and found that suits us,good luck,cheers,Brian.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bottom line,the train and then the toll road to Metz is a bit quicker but a lot more expensive with tolls and full price fuel.We go to Dunkirk now because the road we use into Belgium and Luxembourg via Lille starts at Dunkirk and it's a half hour drive from Calais to Dunkirk anyway.We've tried all the routes and found that suits us,good luck,cheers,Brian.
Hi Brian

I am taken with your idea. Do you take the ferry to Dunkirk or drive from Calais? Where do you enter Switzerland? Which towns do you go through? Sorry but I would like to research this route. .
Old Jun 13th 2020, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Brian

I am taken with your idea. Do you take the ferry to Dunkirk or drive from Calais? Where do you enter Switzerland? Which towns do you go through? Sorry but I would like to research this route. .
Hi,we take the ferry to Dunkirk because the road we use starts from there,the sailing takes a bit longer but it is an extra half hour drive from Calais.We cut across into Belgium via Lille avoiding Brussels which has a time wasting ringroad.After refuelling in Luxembourg it's turn right towards Metz and heading towards Strasbourg.Thats the area we normally overnight.There are lots of medieval towns in the Alsace area like Colmar and Obernai.From there it's only a short hop to Basle into Swiss,the vignette lasts over a year so should be ok for a return journey.We exit Swiss at Como. If you do a dummy route on your sat nav Dunkirk to Metz avoiding tolls and Calais to Metz with tolls you can compare.Our way is still dual carriageway.We use Expedia and Booking.com for hotels.Make sure you use the filters on these sites to confirm there is parking.Feel free to ask any more questions,We're retired so no problem.Where do you live in Italy.Cheers,Brian.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

,Hi again,I don't know where you live in the UK so if that leg is too long, Thionville has a few budget hotels only 5 hrs or so from the ferries.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Yes to Calais - Metz being the quicker. But also the easier, in my opinion. The motorways in eastern side of France from Calais down to the Swiss border at Mulhouse are so easy with little traffic as to make the additional expense worth it for a stress-free trip.

Today's Times has this interactive link showing what is possible or what restrictions are current in most countries in Europe (hope the link works).
Old Jun 15th 2020, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Plan B
Yes to Calais - Metz being the quicker. But also the easier, in my opinion. The motorways in eastern side of France from Calais down to the Swiss border at Mulhouse are so easy with little traffic as to make the additional expense worth it for a stress-free trip.

Today's Times has this interactive link showing what is possible or what restrictions are current in most countries in Europe (hope the link works).
Logistics and circumstances vary.We live 80 miles from Dover and at least a 12 hr drive South of you in Italy.My Mrs doesn't drive so the extra half hour on our route to our first stopover in the Alsace suits us financially with the fuel and little tolls.We have 2 more stopovers after, normally just South of Milan and Orvieto or Frascati.I used to do the journey in 2 stops,but getting old now,lol.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Logistics and circumstances vary.We live 80 miles from Dover and at least a 12 hr drive South of you in Italy.My Mrs doesn't drive so the extra half hour on our route to our first stopover in the Alsace suits us financially with the fuel and little tolls.We have 2 more stopovers after, normally just South of Milan and Orvieto or Frascati.I used to do the journey in 2 stops,but getting old now,lol.
Morning all, that Times link given above takes me to a subscription page...🤔

Three stopovers Brian eh.... I must admit I like to get the drive over and done with as quickly as possible and usually do it with only the one stop, and that’s usually for 6 or 7 hours crashed out in the back of my van. I used to stop in Hotels but decided it was a waste of money as well as time if I have to hang around in the morning till 8.30 or whatever waiting for breakfast. My trip goes from Amsterdam to Ostuni and if I set off at around 10am say on a Tuesday morning I’m normally able to get there by mid afternoon on Wednesday. I usually stop somewhere south of Innsbruck for a short overnight stop and do the rest of the drive in a one-er the next day. It’s a bit of a grueller but I find I’ve become quite used to it over the years. I confess I’ve recently been thinking about slowing it down a bit and maybe making two stops but I’m not quite there yet...

Last edited by Jake.White; Jun 15th 2020 at 11:24 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.