Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Overland UK to Italy

Overland UK to Italy

Old Jun 10th 2020, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overland UK to Italy

From what I have read I think it may be possible to go through France and Switzerland from the 15th. June. We would have to self quarantine for a night in France and prove our address in Italy to pass through Switzerland. The question I have is am I being over optimistic? I know the devil is in the detail and I am nervous that I may have missed something. I don't want to book the whole trip and then get told at Dover that we are not allowed to enter France. Anybody have an idea?
Old Jun 10th 2020, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overland UK to Italy

Currently I’m looking at making the overland attempt on 16th June, but not via France or Switzerland. I think trying to navigate through France could still be very problematic with all the infantile tit for tat political nonsense which is still going on, and I’ve never heard of having to quarantine for only one night but I don’t ever look at France as a real travel option anyway so maybe I missed it..🤔. My planned route as of today (could be different by tomorrow) is by Stena line ferry from Harwich to Hoek of Holland then down through Germany and Austria. According to a Reuters article yesterday, Austria (which was always going to be the final stumbling block) will open it’s borders fully and with no restrictions from next week, as will Germany, and that should allow a direct and hassle free route. But who can say for sure as it’s all still ongoing and can change every day... I definitely wouldn’t consider the route you suggest at the moment as France always comes across to me as an erratic and unknown quantity but it’s up to you...

Last edited by Jake.White; Jun 10th 2020 at 9:29 am.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Friends came back to the UK from Italy Sunday and went via France. Not too sure what documents they had to have for France, but they downloaded and completed them before leaving. They emailed to say at the border they were simply waved on! Siffice to say they will NOT be going back to their house in Italy again this year....
Old Jun 10th 2020, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your responses, I am aiming at the 22nd. at the moment as I think it might be wise to give it a week to see how things settle down. In theory there should not be a problem and I don't forsee a huge demand initially for ferry bookings though I note that P and O have already hiked their prices in anticipation. After three months locked down in a rented cottage I guess I am a little nervous at the prospect of heading off into a post Covid world.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

P&O have hiked their prices have they..? That’s a good business move I’m sure given that they’ll likely have minimal demand at best... quite unbelievable really.. I was looking at DFDS prices for when they get started again on the Newcastle Amsterdam route and they seem to be pretty much in line with seasonal demand expectations although I think they’ll struggle to fill the ship for a while too. My advice to these companies would be to lower the prices for a while to make travel a bit more attractive to the herd but what do I know huh...Stena Line prices from Harwich look to be reasonable enough but the downside for me is the 300 mile hike along speed camera infested smart motorways to get there. I hate driving in England grrr. Anyway, good luck to you and I hope you make it
Old Jun 10th 2020, 11:24 am
Just Joined

jesnj is an unknown quantity at this point

We are planning a trip on 4th July. Our normal route; Eurotunnel, night in Reimes, night near to Gotthard tunnel then through to Marche region. I've booked the hotels with no cancellation charge upto 24 hours before eta and will book eurotunnel a couple of day before departure. I have read on a Swiss news site that their borders will be open and can find nothing on Eurotunnel site indicating we will not be able to enter France.

Can I ask where you read about the overnight quarantine in France please?

Best of luck with your trip.

Old Jun 10th 2020, 11:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
From what I have read I think it may be possible to go through France and Switzerland from the 15th. June. We would have to self quarantine for a night in France and prove our address in Italy to pass through Switzerland. The question I have is am I being over optimistic? I know the devil is in the detail and I am nervous that I may have missed something. I don't want to book the whole trip and then get told at Dover that we are not allowed to enter France. Anybody have an idea?
Hi from the France forum where you might do well to post on all aspects of arriving in and driving through France.
Official declarations can change from one day to the next, but I believe the next "date" is 15th June, as to whether the opening of internal European borders will be decided upon (although some, e.g. Italy, have already opened) and whether there'll be any quarantine.
If you haven't booked your passage yet, I'd wait awhile, as it's impossible to know what France's Health Restrictions will be. They're waiting for the incubation period to end before knowing whether the "deconfinement" at the beginning of June will have led to another wave....
HTH but those on the France forum who are in the same boat will know more.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 12:02 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Also don't forget to have a vignette when using Swiss motorways.

https://en.comparis.ch/carfinder/rec...nvignette-2020
Old Jun 10th 2020, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

As far as the quarantine goes my understanding is that the French are adopting a tit-for-tat approach and so for travellers arriving from France and Spain there will be a 14 day voluntary quarantine requirement. For me that would mean just one day as the following day I would arrive in Italy. I have no idea how this would be implemented presumably our table for dinner would have to be separate? Really it is all nonsense but it is their bat, their ball and their game so I just want to follow the rules if only I knew what they were! I do agree that leaving bookings close to the departure date seems sensible as does having free cancellation options.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 3:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the quarantine goes my understanding is that the French are adopting a tit-for-tat approach and so for travellers arriving from France and Spain there will be a 14 day voluntary quarantine requirement. For me that would mean just one day as the following day I would arrive in Italy. I have no idea how this would be implemented presumably our table for dinner would have to be separate? Really it is all nonsense but it is their bat, their ball and their game so I just want to follow the rules if only I knew what they were! I do agree that leaving bookings close to the departure date seems sensible as does having free cancellation options.
As said, the France forum will be posting official info as and when, but probably not before there's an official European Decision on 15th June..
Old Jun 11th 2020, 6:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
As said, the France forum will be posting official info as and when, but probably not before there's an official European Decision on 15th June..
Prés. Macron will be making an Announcement on the TV on Sunday. About police violence, but also the Health Situation in France.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

I have found a document from the French consulate which states you are exempt from quarantine if you are in transit to another country. It does not mention overnight stays in France but I am guessing they would be permitted providing you can prove your onward destination. At the moment, of course, unless you are in a permitted category you cannot enter France even though the Italian borders are open. I am hoping this changes from the 15th. and it would be helpful to know in advance but it seems that is not going to be possible.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Also don't forget to have a vignette when using Swiss motorways.

https://en.comparis.ch/carfinder/rec...nvignette-2020
If you do forget,they check at the border and you will be diverted into the vignette line.You can use a credit card also.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

I always buy mine at the border it only takes a couple of minutes, they are very efficient. DFDS have upped the price of a ferry crossing on the 22nd. June from £65 to £80 in line with P and O. Either they know something or they are guessing, either way I am not booking ahead of an official announcement but it's looking hopeful.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

I have found a document from the French consulate which states you are exempt from quarantine if you are in transit to another country. It does not mention overnight stays in France but I am guessing they would be permitted providing you can prove your onward destination. At the moment, of course, unless you are in a permitted category you cannot enter France even though the Italian borders are open. I am hoping this changes from the 15th. and it would be helpful to know in advance but it seems that is not going to be possible.
As far as I can tell from the info available on the Austrian embassy website the same situation applies, or will apply from the 16th June, to UK citizens transiting through without stopping. I could get away with that as my stretch through Austria is about 60-70 miles or thereabouts and takes only slightly longer than an hour. The problem with France as I see it is that you might have a bit of a tough time driving all the way to the Swiss border from Calais without a fuel stop, (what is the mileage for that anyway..?) and as soon as you get out of your vehicle and start interacting with others all the implications of spreading the disease and enforced quarantine start to raise their ugly heads.. I don’t know how you would get around that as things currently stand.. Maybe carrying a current medical certificate with a negative covid test result would help..

Last edited by Jake.White; Jun 11th 2020 at 10:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.