Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Overland Italy to UK

Overland Italy to UK

Old Nov 1st 2020, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overland Italy to UK

I read in one of the UK news rags a few days ago that Merkel had instructed all hotels in Germany to refuse entry to foreigners, and judging by my own experience there a few weeks ago (see my earlier post) I suspect that it's probably true rather than fake news so as someone said above all bets are now off unless you are prepared to sleep in your vehicle. I usually do that anyway but on the last trip my van was full to bursting and it wasn't possible. (Hotel cost me 83 euros)

To add my tuppence worth to the cost calculations given by others above : driving fast wherever possible (fast means around 100mph) my fuel costs of the one way trip from Ostuni to Ijmuiden (Holland) are usually in the region of around 200 euros, (cheaper if you drive more slowly of course but I find that only prolongs the agony of an already diffcult journey) Toll costs are as given above in previous posts : Brenner 10 Euros, Autostrada Vipiteno-Bari 75 euros. I'm pretty naughty with regards to the Austrian vignette and don't usually bother with it as I'm only on the Autobahn there from Brenner to Telfs which is about 25 minutes so consider it a risk worth taking, although if the police do stop you and catch you driving without one the fine is an instant 120 euros so it's a personal choice. There is also a speed camera on the autobahn just outside Innsbruck in the direction of Brenner which will catch you if you are going over 60mph so be warned.

The main cost of my route to Puglia and back via Austria, Germany and Holland is the DFDS ferry between North Shields and Ijmuiden which cost me (including evening meals and breakfast) a hearty £496.50 return at the beginning of October, but regardless of this I still prefer the route over the Switzerland/France/Channel Tunnel/UK slog. In Germany having tried just about every possible alternative over the last 16 years I've found the best Autobahn route to be A7/A6/A61 from Füssen to Venlo and vice versa although there are still some nasty roadworks on the A6 which have been going on for years.

I'm also one of those who is a bit more comfortable driving in Germany and Austria than on the alternative route through France because I lived in Germany for 5 years and can communicate with relative ease which I can't do in France. I also like to stop off in both directions at the V Markt in Füssen every trip (German Border town) to pick up a few crates of delicious Bavarian Beer. The shop is only a couple of minutes off the Autobahn.

Fuel is also very cheap in Austria and there are numerous filling stations on the route over the Fernpass although some of them are unmanned. I usually use the one at Bichlbach.

Jim : interestingly enough on my last trip I got stuck right at that very spot on the A22 at Vipiteno on the way down, but it was because of an accident rather than snow. The traffic came to a standstill at around 10pm and we didn't get moving for almost 2 hours. I had a wee sleep in the van..! I've never tried the corner cutting experiment of Ulm-Garmisch-Innsbruck. Does it save any time..?

Last edited by Jake.White; Nov 1st 2020 at 7:48 am.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jake.White
I read in one of the UK news rags a few days ago that Merkel had instructed all hotels in Germany to refuse entry to foreigners, and judging by my own experience there a few weeks ago (see my earlier post) I suspect that it's probably true rather than fake news so as someone said above all bets are now off unless you are prepared to sleep in your vehicle. I usually do that anyway but on the last trip my van was full to bursting and it wasn't possible. (Hotel cost me 83 euros)

To add my tuppence worth to the cost calculations given by others above : driving fast wherever possible (fast means around 100mph) my fuel costs of the one way trip from Ostuni to Ijmuiden (Holland) are usually in the region of around 200 euros, (cheaper if you drive more slowly of course but I find that only prolongs the agony of an already diffcult journey) Toll costs are as given above in previous posts : Brenner 10 Euros, Autostrada Vipiteno-Bari 75 euros. I'm pretty naughty with regards to the Austrian vignette and don't usually bother with it as I'm only on the Autobahn there from Brenner to Telfs which is about 25 minutes so consider it a risk worth taking, although if the police do stop you and catch you driving without one the fine is an instant 120 euros so it's a personal choice. There is also a speed camera on the autobahn just outside Innsbruck in the direction of Brenner which will catch you if you are going over 60mph so be warned.

The main cost of my route to Puglia and back via Austria, Germany and Holland is the DFDS ferry between North Shields and Ijmuiden which cost me (including evening meals and breakfast) a hearty £496.50 return at the beginning of October,
​​​​.! I've never tried the corner cutting experiment of Ulm-Garmisch-Innsbruck. Does it save any time..?
Thanks for that, Jake, you've saved me Googling DFDS!
Short answer is "No". I started to use that route in the mid-90s when my start point was Lido di Venezia; starting with the ferry, that was the area where I would aim to spend the night.(plenty of rural Gaststaette). Very recently I discovered the Fern and my overnight is now the Ulm/Crailsheim/Heilbron triangle (reaching the Channel by mid to late pm).
For the record, here are the distances (km) I logged for the two trips I costed:
Alpago-Dunkirk-Dover-Glasgow (touching Garmisch, Trier, Liege):- 1502 + 860 UK
Glasgow-Dover-Calais-Alpago (touching Namur-Luxemburg-Trier-Munich*):-838 + 1558.
*caught by snow and summer tyres
Alpago-Rotterdam-Hull-Glasgow (touching Fern-Ludwigshaven-Munchengladbach):-1200 + 430UK
Glasgow-Hoek (touching M'gladbach-Heilbronn-Crailsheim-Fern):-700 + 1230.
Q. Why Ijmuiden/Immingham and not Rotterdam/Hull? The estuary?

Old Nov 1st 2020, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I find the M'gladbach, Heilbronn,Crailsheim,Ulm route to be the best one (apart from those pesky never ending roadworks on the A6 of course).

I do the Ijmuiden ferry route partly for the reasons of psychological comfort with all things Germanic rather than Gallic, and partly because the ferry drops me in the UK about 15 minutes from my house, on disembarking from the boat all I have to do is drive through the Tyne tunnel and I'm home. It would be an easy way up to Glasgow too if you wanted to cut out a large part of the UK section, albeit a bit pricey.

After being spoiled with the great freedom of the Autobahn for so many years I really can't stand driving in the UK for any kind of distance at 70mph or less, especially with this all idiotic smart motorway nonsense which they're bringing in as well as unposted variable speed limits: I've noticed a couple of sections like that in locations on the way up from Folkestone, speed cameras everywhere and plod abusing their powers for the sake of making easy bucks out of the soft target motorist, I'd rather just not do it at all and confine as much of my long distance driving as possible to the European mainland. Holland isn't great either mind you with overcrowding and 60mph limits but at least it's only a couple of hours from Ijmuiden to Venlo.

Total driving distance for me to Puglia via Ijmuiden is slightly more than 1300 miles and about 22 hours driving time on average. I find it so much easier in every sense than the other route via the channel tunnel.

Last edited by Jake.White; Nov 1st 2020 at 12:31 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Sorry for that question, Jake.
For some reason I thought the ferry was Ijmuiden -Immingham, not Tyneside.
​​​​
Old Nov 4th 2020, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Hi,we've just gone into lockdown in a red zone.Can anyone direct me to a link regarding certificates for shopping trips etc.Can we travel across Italy to get back to UK ,if so what certificates would be required and could we stay in a rented apartment on the way,TIA,Brian.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

The local here seems to have your information Brian. This is the link they have to the form (no idea if it's okay, but it says there is only one), - good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2020, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
The local here seems to have your information Brian. This is the link they have to the form (no idea if it's okay, but it says there is only one), - good luck.
Thanks for that,I'll print some off,Brian.
Old Nov 6th 2020, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Hi,I am seeing all the usual websites for hotels and apartments with loads of availability.Is this the case does anyone know,cheers,Brian.
Old Nov 6th 2020, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the rules are different all over the place, but generally speaking hotels can remain open to cater for the needs of those who have essential reasons for travelling. Of course, some hotels might decide it is not worth staying open. I'd imagine it would be sensible to contact the hotel, using the booking website, before you go.

BTW I don't think any of this conversation has ever really confronted the issue of what actually constitutes 'essential' travel. As Calabria is a red zone, then I would stay there if I were you - unless it was absolutely impossible to do so.
Old Nov 6th 2020, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C.2s
Obviously the rules are different all over the place, but generally speaking hotels can remain open to cater for the needs of those who have essential reasons for travelling. Of course, some hotels might decide it is not worth staying open. I'd imagine it would be sensible to contact the hotel, using the booking website, before you go.

BTW I don't think any of this conversation has ever really confronted the issue of what actually constitutes 'essential' travel. As Calabria is a red zone, then I would stay there if I were you - unless it was absolutely impossible to do so.
Cheers for that,I was going to book a free cancellation and then contact the property as you said.I was just trying to get info from others.We are in a red zone mainly for the reason that our medical infrastructure couldn't cope not so much the number of infections.The regional government are having a meeting tomorrow to appeal against this.My concern is France are allowing expats to return to UK thru their territory regardless.Surely we are allowed the same benefit.Everything here seems as clear as mud,lol.Cheers again,Brian.
Old Nov 7th 2020, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Diddidi is an unknown quantity at this point

In case anyone is still wondering about getting back to the UK, we literally just got back having travelled through Liguria, Piemonte and Lombardia. No issues at all. We went via Switzerland and stayed in Basel overnight as French and German hotels are closed to tourists. From there we went up to Strasbourg and then through France to Calais. No one stopped us or asked for paperwork except at Calais where they asked for proof that we had completed the online passenger locator form. Hope this helps anyone still trying to decide whether to make the journey.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Palmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Diddidi
In case anyone is still wondering about getting back to the UK, we literally just got back having travelled through Liguria, Piemonte and Lombardia. No issues at all. We went via Switzerland and stayed in Basel overnight as French and German hotels are closed to tourists. From there we went up to Strasbourg and then through France to Calais. No one stopped us or asked for paperwork except at Calais where they asked for proof that we had completed the online passenger locator form. Hope this helps anyone still trying to decide whether to make the journey.
Yes I was wondering although we will be going the other way soon! Can I ask if you were driving through Italy and France just during daytime or whether you were on motorways during the new curfew hours in both countries. Got paperwork sorted (I think) but trying to plan the driving timing to ensure we comply as required.
Thanks 😊

Old Nov 8th 2020, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Palmy
Yes I was wondering although we will be going the other way soon! Can I ask if you were driving through Italy and France just during daytime or whether you were on motorways during the new curfew hours in both countries. Got paperwork sorted (I think) but trying to plan the driving timing to ensure we comply as required.
Thanks 😊
Are you in a yellow zone if so what paperwork do you need from red to yellow.Cheers,Brian.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Palmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the roughPalmy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brian12
Are you in a yellow zone if so what paperwork do you need from red to yellow.Cheers,Brian.
In the yellow zone so we will have to drive through red to enter preferred route in Switzerland via Gottard tunnel through to Basle - and will be on Toll motorways through France etc and as we have a Motorhome + Car/Trailer and are taking fuel with us we are hoping that will help. We have a letter from our Notary confirming we need to attend our house purchase in Abruzzo and will also download /print all relevant paperwork so hopefully we have covered it all. We will also be homeless at that time too with no UK accommodation.
It is a really difficult decision and situation - I am mostly reading that travelers have not found any difficulty so far. We are Covid testing before leaving and will test/isolate on arrival too of course.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Palmy
In the yellow zone so we will have to drive through red to enter preferred route in Switzerland via Gottard tunnel through to Basle - and will be on Toll motorways through France etc and as we have a Motorhome + Car/Trailer and are taking fuel with us we are hoping that will help. We have a letter from our Notary confirming we need to attend our house purchase in Abruzzo and will also download /print all relevant paperwork so hopefully we have covered it all. We will also be homeless at that time too with no UK accommodation.
It is a really difficult decision and situation - I am mostly reading that travelers have not found any difficulty so far. We are Covid testing before leaving and will test/isolate on arrival too of course.
Thanks for reply,we are doing that route in reverse but are going from red to yellow to red.We need to stopover in the middle somewhere as I am the only driver.That might present a problem with getting fined and sent back,lol.Probably have to wait for the end of lockdown and make a run for it.Just read on local news website that Abruzzo may become orange soon,good luck with your journey and perhaps keep us posted of outcome,cheers,Brian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.