Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Overland Italy to UK

Overland Italy to UK

Old Oct 26th 2020, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all
Default Re: Overland Italy to UK

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
Hi, Brian. I decided to see for myself and this is from inside Germany.
There was NO-ONE on duty at the Brenner at 1000 this morning (Sunday?); I used the Statale crossing rather than the Autostrada, a personal preference.
After the Fern Pass there was a police control at the German border. I was stopped after a double-take at my plates; there had been a GB-registered camper in front of me but I lost sight of him in the final km and he wasn't at the checkpoint so I assume was waved through, as happened to all cars in the very short time I was there.
"Destination?"
"Holland and a ship."
"On you go."
If you haven't started yet, I agree with SanNico's advice. Presuming you hit the Pianura Padana at Bologna, why not consider Padova (A13)-Verona(A4)-Brenner(A22), then west at Innsbruck to Fern Pass and the German motorways, where you are spoiled for choice (but avoid Ulm-Stuttgart-Rhein valley: since the 70s a road to wear your nerves).
In Austria diesel is about 1,10 and Super 1,15!
Bon voyage, Jim
I Jim,glad you made it.With my location here and in the UK,I feel my best route is straight down the middle thru Switzerland especially as my vignette is still valid.The other option is via Montblanc which distance wise is not much different but a hell of a lot more in tolls.Got 2 more weeks to decide,cheers,Brian.PS I will research your route.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Well I made it back with no Covid problems. After a huge faff to complete the Personal Location Form, because we have to quarantine at two addresses in the UK, we arrived at the tunnel and the border control asked have you completed the form we said yes and that was it they didn't even ask to see it!
Made one huge blunder. We stopped in Piemont to sample some wine and when we left we just followed Google's suggested route through the Mont Blanc tunnel. I thought well that will be a nice change. £42.00 later I was not so impressed, I wondered why the road was so empty now I know!
Old Oct 26th 2020, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
Hi
Well I made it back with no Covid problems. After a huge faff to complete the Personal Location Form, because we have to quarantine at two addresses in the UK, we arrived at the tunnel and the border control asked have you completed the form we said yes and that was it they didn't even ask to see it!
Made one huge blunder. We stopped in Piemont to sample some wine and when we left we just followed Google's suggested route through the Mont Blanc tunnel. I thought well that will be a nice change. £42.00 later I was not so impressed, I wondered why the road was so empty now I know!
Follow the Jocks!
Brenner, Germany and so on; I payed 0,98 for diesel in Germany.😁
Old Oct 27th 2020, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
Follow the Jocks!
Brenner, Germany and so on; I payed 0,98 for diesel in Germany.😁
This Southerner agrees with you. I always sailed from Calais or Dunkerque and found it to be the best route in terms of time, stress and tolls. I also used to swing through Luxembourg for even cheaper fuel. I once made a boo boo though, travelling through Germany and Austria during December in a car I'd just bought in the UK without winter tyres was a hair raising experience with snow and ice all the way down to Bari. Chains were used pretty much all through Austria and then again for a few hours around Rimini. My advice for the Alps during winter, don't hit the roads before 10am as they may not have been cleared.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SanNico
This Southerner agrees with you. I always sailed from Calais or Dunkerque and found it to be the best route in terms of time, stress and tolls. I also used to swing through Luxembourg for even cheaper fuel. I once made a boo boo though, travelling through Germany and Austria during December in a car I'd just bought in the UK without winter tyres was a hair raising experience with snow and ice all the way down to Bari. Chains were used pretty much all through Austria and then again for a few hours around Rimini. My advice for the Alps during winter, don't hit the roads before 10am as they may not have been cleared.
No stress and driving over mountains with snowchains sound like a contradiction in terms,lol.I'm going to stick to nice safe tunnels I think.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Well I have just totted up the final cost of the route I took and it is horrendous. I am seriously considering the Germany Austria route but I do not fancy the snow chains. Has anyone tried Switzerland then north to Stuttgart then west through Saarbrucken?.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Well I have just totted up the final cost of the route I took and it is horrendous. I am seriously considering the Germany Austria route but I do not fancy the snow chains. Has anyone tried Switzerland then north to Stuttgart then west through Saarbrucken?.
Hi,we go into France from Basle but you can also go into Germany.Looking at the map Stuttgart is way over.If you hug the Rhine thru Frieburg that seems more direct.Looking at the Swiss covid regs we are exempt from quarantine as long as we don't spend more than 24hrs in the 4 high risk Italian regions which at the moment doesn't include Lombardy but I think it soon will.We are going to stopover in Modena and then drive nonstop to the Alsace thru Switzerland..Cheers,Brian.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian12
No stress and driving over mountains with snowchains sound like a contradiction in terms,lol.I'm going to stick to nice safe tunnels I think.
Haha, good point. If you're running all season or winter tyres you'll be fine. The point was about having the correct tyres, which you will have already if you live in Italy and not to go through the Alps early, or at all, if the weather is bad. This was back in 2010 and the roads were horrendous all the way down to Bari and I was on a tight schedule. We had to stop at Pflach due to bad weather, but the Innsbruck area was my usual overnight stop on 2 day trips.
I did the same trip over Christmas during normal conditions, still sub zero, and it was a pleasure, from Troon to Brindisi in 3 days, 31 hours driving time. The differences between the Austrian and Swiss routes are the cost and the scenery. I'm slightly biased towards Germany as I lived there for a while and find their driving style nicer, the roads better, great amenities and toll free.
The real contradiction in terms will be for me to advise you to stop for coffee at McDonalds in Europabrucke services. I'm sure Jim can testify, horrendous coffee with the most amazing views and staff wearing dirndls. There are some great hotels and restaurants in nearby Schoneberg to make up for the disappointing coffee.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanNico
Haha, good point. If you're running all season or winter tyres you'll be fine. The point was about having the correct tyres, which you will have already if you live in Italy and not to go through the Alps early, or at all, if the weather is bad. This was back in 2010 and the roads were horrendous all the way down to Bari and I was on a tight schedule. We had to stop at Pflach due to bad weather, but the Innsbruck area was my usual overnight stop on 2 day trips.
I did the same trip over Christmas during normal conditions, still sub zero, and it was a pleasure, from Troon to Brindisi in 3 days, 31 hours driving time. The differences between the Austrian and Swiss routes are the cost and the scenery. I'm slightly biased towards Germany as I lived there for a while and find their driving style nicer, the roads better, great amenities and toll free.
The real contradiction in terms will be for me to advise you to stop for coffee at McDonalds in Europabrucke services. I'm sure Jim can testify, horrendous coffee with the most amazing views and staff wearing dirndls. There are some great hotels and restaurants in nearby Schoneberg to make up for the disappointing coffee.
LOL,I had to google dirndl.I'm afraid we don't have winter tyres,not much snow here in the deep south.Our only tolls are approx. 14 euro from Strasbourg to Metz then we nip into Luxembourg,Belgium and back into France which takes us almost the same time as going on the toll road all the way to Calais with the advantage of cheap fuel in LB.Our vignette is still valid and I feel confident now that there will be no probs in Switzerland.Cheers,Brian.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Hi

This also covers Brian and SanNico's recent posts.
First a confession. I told the German police a fib; I really was on a recce and I am now back in Alpago! Put it down to cabin fever; I haven't been further than the Veneto littoral since Feb!
However, the Alps and driving. Like SanNico, I have lived in Germany, Munich and the Hanover area, and am comfortable with driving there. You can go from south to north on motorways and I have never had to use chains; I would carry them if I was going cross-country (for example cutting the corner from Ulm to Innsbruck via Garmisch with snow threatened) and hope never to use them - your decision in those circumstances is to stick on the autobahn round Munich, which isn't remarkably longer in terms of time.
A final thought. Doesn't it snow in Switzerland?

Old Oct 27th 2020, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Under covid?
Old Oct 28th 2020, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

The only snow I've seen is at the South entrance of the Gotthard tunnel and that is all piled up at the side of the road which is clear.Because we go under the Alps the altitude is lower so less snow.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

This is not an answer to jiminalpago's original question, but refers to the costs of the return journey (which I somewhat nerdishly noted) when we travelled in February this year just before the lockdown. Though comprehensive these can only be an indication because of so many variables. Though we must live round the corner from jiminalpago, I now always use the route via Milan, Switzerland, Strasbourg, Reims, chunnel, London. Time and distance it's the same as going via Brenner and Germany but the roads in eastern France are excellent and generally empty.
In any case, it's darned expensive!

Italy > UK > Italy 2020
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

2 dinners 178 euros? Not McDonalds I assume!! ;-)

Seriously speaking it's useful to have an idea of the costs of making this trip. I'd say some things are variable costs. We pay less for dinners/accommodation/etc than you have allotted, and also the cost you've put for the channel tunnel seems high (but I guess that depends on the time of the crossing etc), and fuel depends on what vehicle you're using, your departure and arrival points. We've averaged around 500 euro per trip over the last 10 years (Italy to Dover). And it doesn't seem to make much difference which route we take.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C.2s
2 dinners 178 euros? Not McDonalds I assume!! ;-)

Seriously speaking it's useful to have an idea of the costs of making this trip. I'd say some things are variable costs. We pay less for dinners/accommodation/etc than you have allotted, and also the cost you've put for the channel tunnel seems high (but I guess that depends on the time of the crossing etc), and fuel depends on what vehicle you're using, your departure and arrival points. We've averaged around 500 euro per trip over the last 10 years (Italy to Dover). And it doesn't seem to make much difference which route we take.
I didn't know there were so many CS pensioners in Italy!.And, yes, I also have a spreadsheet.
My trip is Veneto - Glasgow and regardless of route I reckon on two overnights, one between Ulm and the Rhein valley and the other at the Channel, either in Dunkirk or on the overnight ferry from Holland to Hull. The overnight ferry IS expensive but about half of the cost is offset by savings on mileage and fuel.
So far as route is concerned, I have two options for reaching the Brenner with little or no autostrada toll (via Valsugana or Cadore/Comelico),Austria into Germany I have already spoken about but I notice that no-one has mentioned Mannheim-Trier-Bitburg-Liege then westwards to reach either Dunkirk or Calais. Easy, quiet driving until Liege. (At Trier you have the option of going north via Luxemburg).
I don't have access to my cost records immediately but I am curious to see how they compare to Plan B's.
​​​​​​

​​
​​

Last edited by jiminalpago; Oct 28th 2020 at 1:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.