Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

our 1st visit to an italian dentist

our 1st visit to an italian dentist

Old Oct 4th 2018, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default our 1st visit to an italian dentist

My OH has been having trouble with a wisdom tooth,with a bit broken off and resultant pain.I thought OMG, after all the horror stories I've read on here about dentists and being in our "lawless" neck of the woods,we've got to visit one.Our anglo Italian friends recommended a clinic a few towns away.When we got there,it was a state of the art new complex.My OH was seen straight away,given a panoramic and traditional xrays,which they said was gratis.They said yes an extraction is required,a course of antibiotics was prescribed and we went back 2 days later.2 lots of injections because the 1st lot didn't numb the area.Another one in the backside for postop pain,blood pressure and heart sensors throughout.2 stiches after, which will be removed next week.All this for 152 euro.Our friend said the panoramic xray alone cost him 180 quid in London.The receptionist who speaks English stayed with her all the time as she is very nervous of dentists and apparently a small army of other dentists were all watching..Perhaps English teeth are different from Italian,lol.Anyway that's our very satisfied story.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: our 1st visit to an italian dentist

Also heard nothing but praise of the dentist near us here in Italy and cost like that of the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased to read everything went well Brian.
A useful thing to do is to go along to your GP and ask for a dental X-ray. You get the Exam done at the ASL for a small charge and it comes with a report from a Radiologist. It gives you a bit of independent control on your dentist.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 8:42 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Our dentist wanted an x-ray of my son's teeth but she didn't do it herself. She told me the cheapest place to take him which was one of those independent clinic places. Think it cost about €30 and they put the x-ray on CD.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny story.Our friend who recommended this place,had a heart attack a few years ago,no that's not the funny bit.The doctor who saved his life by putting a stent in,is also a dentist.They became good friends and a couple of years later decided to use his dental services.After a painful half hour in the chair,he got up and told him to f--- off and stick to the day job.They are still friends.Hence the new dentist and recommendation.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. One of the paediatricians in the village is also a dentist. Apparently he's crap at both.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I've had 3 root canals in the 3 years since I've lived here (what an advert for British dentistry I am) and aside from the cost, I've found it very painless. Fairly easy to get an appointment and no need to register with a single practice.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
I've had 3 root canals in the 3 years since I've lived here (what an advert for British dentistry I am) and aside from the cost, I've found it very painless. Fairly easy to get an appointment and no need to register with a single practice.
Blimey,sounds like too much gelato and tiramisu,lol.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Frankly Brian, it's the result of not being able to get a dentist (even privately) in the UK for about a decade and then a series of chickens coming home to roost.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I must say I've had a good experience with Italian dentists. Prices vary quite a lot, though. I got an estimate for a series of things to be done from a dentist in Milan, but then found a dentist in Monza through a friend and found him equally good and about 30% cheaper.
Do Brit dentists still use mercury amalgam for fillings or have they finally gone over to the white stuff which they harden with ultraviolet light, as in Italy?
Old Oct 8th 2018, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
I must say I've had a good experience with Italian dentists. Prices vary quite a lot, though. I got an estimate for a series of things to be done from a dentist in Milan, but then found a dentist in Monza through a friend and found him equally good and about 30% cheaper.
Do Brit dentists still use mercury amalgam for fillings or have they finally gone over to the white stuff which they harden with ultraviolet light, as in Italy?
Those amalgam fillings are the bread and butter of NHS dentists. They keep redoing them until you need a plate. My UK dentist never mentioned the apical cyst under my molar that the Italian dentist saw instantly. I think because the only NHS treatment is an extraction and a plate.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frankly Brian, it's the result of not being able to get a dentist (even privately) in the UK for about a decade and then a series of chickens coming home to roost.
No probs only joking.My OH had meningitis when she was 2 and all the doctors in the London hospital said she wouldn't last the night.One old doctor stayed with her and she survived.He said she will always have problems with her teeth.She's 63 now and lost half her teeth,that old bloke was right,but her dad owned a sweet shop also,lol.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've heard that a century-or-so ago, people would have all their teeth extracted as a 21st birthday gift and would just wear falsies from then on, to avoid serious health problems later in life. I'm starting to think they might have been on to something!
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've heard that a century-or-so ago, people would have all their teeth extracted as a 21st birthday gift and would just wear falsies from then on, to avoid serious health problems later in life. I'm starting to think they might have been on to something!
My Dad had the same idea a bit later in life and those falsies were always causing trouble. I seem to remember the dog being found with them once or twice.

Last edited by philat98; Oct 10th 2018 at 2:08 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah,that must have been when those early apprentices in those days,at the end of their training,recieved their inDENTURES.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.