Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Obtaining pet passport in Italy

Obtaining pet passport in Italy

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Diddidi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining pet passport in Italy

Has anyone obtained a pet passport in Italy and did you have to register your pet with the authorities before getting one? Any hints/tips or issues? We’re running into the entire Brexit problem of leaving the UK with our dog before Brexit and returning in June, after Brexit. There is no information I can find on this particular scenario so we thought we would prepare for worst case and get her Titer tested. Originally we well organised until she failed her first rabies Titer test and now we’re waiting for her to take a second one next week after a rabies booster. If she fails again, we were wondering if we could just replace her UK pet passport with an Italian one before returning to the UK as she’s up to date with all her vaccinations. From what I can see, EU passports will be perfectly acceptable for entry into the UK. Or did I miss something obvious with this plan? Thanks for any help or advice!
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining pet passport in Italy

Originally Posted by Diddidi
Has anyone obtained a pet passport in Italy and did you have to register your pet with the authorities before getting one? Any hints/tips or issues? We’re running into the entire Brexit problem of leaving the UK with our dog before Brexit and returning in June, after Brexit. There is no information I can find on this particular scenario so we thought we would prepare for worst case and get her Titer tested. Originally we well organised until she failed her first rabies Titer test and now we’re waiting for her to take a second one next week after a rabies booster. If she fails again, we were wondering if we could just replace her UK pet passport with an Italian one before returning to the UK as she’s up to date with all her vaccinations. From what I can see, EU passports will be perfectly acceptable for entry into the UK. Or did I miss something obvious with this plan? Thanks for any help or advice!
Hi,research my thread on this subject a few threads back.We had a bit of a performance,but was all ok in the end,even though our female cat ended up being put down as a male in the passport,lol.All info is on the UK.GOV site.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
Hi,research my thread on this subject a few threads back.We had a bit of a performance,but was all ok in the end,even though our female cat ended up being put down as a male in the passport,lol.All info is on the UK.GOV site.
Thanks Brian 1 - I did a search before posting but your thread didn't come up - finally found it after searching on your name Sounds like a real nightmare but glad it worked out OK in the end.

The bit I was concerned about was this phrase that I found somewhere online - I guess because you had a cat, you didn't need to do this so am hoping someone else with a dog might confirm if it's necessary?
  1. Certificato di iscrizione all’Anagrafe Canina (solo per i cani)
I was also wondering if anyone has actually swapped a UK pet passport for an Italian one? I've seen instances of people from the US doing this to make it easier to travel in EU but I suppose no one with a UK registered animal has had to do this yet..... the joys of Brexit
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,the office in ASLA deals mainly with dogs,but still processed our passport.I assume you would have to register the existing microchip first.The strangest process is that you have to go to your bank and pay in 2 amounts to ASLA and obtain the receipts as proof of application fee.The transaction fee from our bank of 15 euro each payment came to more than the total fees to ASLA.The mind boggles,lol.As I said,every scenario is explained on the UK.GOV website.Good luck,cheers,Brian.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Brian 1 for your help!