Reload this Page >

Notary and document in English

Notary and document in English

Old Jul 20th 2021, 6:20 am
Just Joined

PaxPacis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notary and document in English

Hello everyone in this wonderful Italian forum,
I have a document in English which I need to sign, and have countersigned and stamped by an Italian notary. The notary's stamp and signature are to verify my own identity and signature. The notary I spoke to told me that he cannot verify my signature nor stamp the document because the document is in a language OTHER than Italian. He said that by law, Italian notaries cannot sign or stamp anything if it is in a foreign language.
Has anyone in this forum being in this situation? How did you get around it?

Many thanks in advance for any answer.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notary and document in English

Yes, thats true. You an get a signature and identity notarised, but it will be in Italian. There is no getting around it. Get it done in Italian and then a legal translation and legalisation for the UK/US. or if you can find a blingual notary who will do it in Italian and English then you're ok.

Last edited by modicasa; Jul 20th 2021 at 8:51 am.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Write an email to this lawyer in Rome and see if they can help.
Oliver & Partners -
Old Jul 21st 2021, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for your answers, much appreciated! Nothing is straightforward in Italy
Old Jul 25th 2021, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Here is a link, from the U.K. Government, of approved English-speaking notaries through-out Italy; with luck, you'll find one near you. We were able to use a very helpful one during our application for an HSBC account (unsuccessful, because HSBC just have not been contactable since!).
Old Jul 27th 2021, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Plan B
Here is a link, from the U.K. Government, of approved English-speaking notaries through-out Italy; with luck, you'll find one near you. We were able to use a very helpful one during our application for an HSBC account (unsuccessful, because HSBC just have not been contactable since!).
Super! This is a very useful list, to keep also for future reference. Many thanks, Plan B.