Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Non Residency Conditions

Non Residency Conditions

Old Jun 16th 2022, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

nvisibl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non Residency Conditions

I've learned that I can remain in Italy with non Residency status legally for 180 days per year

I would like to stay longer

Is there ways to make this possible whilst still maintaining Non Resident status?

thank you
Old Jun 16th 2022, 2:26 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Residency Conditions

Originally Posted by nvisibl
I've learned that I can remain in Italy with non Residency status legally for 180 days per year

Is there ways to make this possible whilst still maintaining Non Resident status?

thank you
Without knowing which passport you hold, people cannot offer you good advice.
Generally speaking it's 90 days in Italy/Schenghan area, 90 days out. Not 180 consecutive days.
Old Jun 16th 2022, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

nvisibl is an unknown quantity at this point

I see, okay

Yes I have a British Passport

Would this 90 days in and 90 days out still apply?

is there any way around this whilst still remaning Non Resident?
Old Jun 16th 2022, 4:04 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I see, okay

The max you can stay is 90 days in 180. No way round it unless you apply for a visa and that would then mean, to remain here legally, applying for residency.
Old Jun 16th 2022, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I see, okay

In earlier posts you were asking about moving to Italy and home schooling your children.
You certainly can't move to Italy without the necessary visa - the UK is no longer part of the EU

Now that the UK is outside the EU, British passport holders can stay for a maximum of 90 days per 180-day period. UK passport holders can cross an external EU border using just a valid passport and stay anywhere in the Schengen Area for up to 3 months.
Old Jun 16th 2022, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your circumstances, look at Elective Residency to get around the 90/180, but it will cost a little per year.
Old Jun 16th 2022, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to remember is that 'resident' doesn't have the same meaning in every context and every country.

Italy has it's own rules (that have existed for a long time and that aren't connected to the EU situation) which requires anyone who lives in the same municipality for more than 90 days to go to the town hall and register their presence. This applies to everyone including Italians. This is one type of 'residency'. But that's totally separate from say 'tax residency'... which have a different set of rules. Plus Italy has a system of state, region, provincial and municipal government... and each of these authorities can apply different rules. So for example in nearly all regions you can buy into the 'healthcare residency'. But there's one or two regions (Umbria?) that won't allow that.

If you search the forums you'll find lots of helpful info (although conversations often do go off on a tangent!) about this subject in previous threads.. But remember that a lot of the info was pre-Brexit. Of course not many people have made the move to Italy post-Brexit and so therefore it's going to be a bit of a learning curve for us all. Standard Italian bureaucratic response is "No, no, no, that's impossible. No way. Okay come now, immediately and we'll do it." So it's not impossible. Everything gets sorted out eventually. You just need to be patient. And a lot of the civil service don't know what they're doing with post-Brexit regulations. For example we're currently trying to sort out a problem with our healthcare, we've been told nobody knows what the rules are, and they need to have a 'big meeting'...so we've kinda got no cover according to the regional health service computer.. and yet on the other hand we're getting all the actual healthcare and things like cancer screening because the healthcare professionals just keep on treating us... it'll probably get sorted eventually :-)
Old Jun 17th 2022, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Now they stamp your passport, they know when you are in Italy and when you aren't. If they check, then its a problem. Its 90 days in, 90 days out.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 7:37 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Depends on your circumstances, look at Elective Residency to get around the 90/180, but it will cost a little per year.
An ER visa is aimed at pensioners. You cannot work anywhere, not just Italy. You can convert it to a work visa after 5 (?) years, but that it a fairly new thing. No idea how it works. There is a new nomad visa.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

TBH having read this the OPs other thread about home schooling and their user name I am of the opinion that the OP wants to move to Italy clandestinely and stay below the radar I do not know how they think they can do this as so much of the Italian bureaucracy is inter dependent How will they support themselves What happens if they fall ill or have an accident with no Tessa Sanitaria? What about when they are zooming down the road to get some milk and the Carabiniere or (even worse) the Yellow Flames stop you bearing in mind the need for ID at all times?
What about the Permesso di Soggiorno the "residenza" for the ID card etc which certainly involved a visit from the Polizia Municipale and all the other little bits of paper that is needed in order to live succesfully and peacefully in Italy not forgetting of course the nosy neighbours...
Old Jun 17th 2022, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
TBH having read this the OPs other thread about home schooling and their user name I am of the opinion that the OP wants to move to Italy clandestinely and stay below the radar I do not know how they think they can do this as so much of the Italian bureaucracy is inter dependent How will they support themselves What happens if they fall ill or have an accident with no Tessa Sanitaria? What about when they are zooming down the road to get some milk and the Carabiniere or (even worse) the Yellow Flames stop you bearing in mind the need for ID at all times?
What about the Permesso di Soggiorno the "residenza" for the ID card etc which certainly involved a visit from the Polizia Municipale and all the other little bits of paper that is needed in order to live succesfully and peacefully in Italy not forgetting of course the nosy neighbours...
I dont think living under the radar was that simple before Brexit. With Covid the Italian state obtained more control over individuals and added to that there is the introduction of the EES Schengen border system.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

thank you
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: still no, I'm afraid. Even before Brexit it would not have been legal and post-Brexit you risk losing the right to enter the EU in the future as an "overstayer". The new regulations coming in in September, referenced above, will control this even more tightly.

Healthcare is an important point: without residency, you are not covered by the Italian system and most travel insurance policies will not allow stays outside the UK as long as 90 days (some will but not beyond the legal limit). Without residency you will also struggle to do things like buying a car or renting a house (at least through official channels). As a UK passport holder, getting a job other than "in nero" would be next to impossible too without a visa.

If you're looking to stay longer, you should be a resident in my opinion, being a regular part of the community you're living in.