British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   No Worries (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/no-worries-933347/)

Seldomseenkid Jun 22nd 2020 2:50 pm

No Worries

Just to let everyone who is interested know that our trip back to il bel paese was completely trouble free. The French border control at Dover could not have been less interested, a swift Gallic shrug and they did not even look at our passports. The ferry was limited in the number of cars they could take because of social distancing and so it was very relaxed. Because of the limited numbers I have to say I can understand the price rises. The hotel in Alsace was excellent if a little odd with the use of masks but the food was as good as ever. The Swiss asked where we were going but took us at our word when we said Italy and just charged us for the road permit as usual. All in all a lot easier than we were expecting, Currently hanging out on Oltrepo Pavese to try some wines like Buttafuoco and Sangue di Giuda before heading south and home.

heritagestanley Jun 22nd 2020 4:40 pm

Re: No Worries

Many thanks for the heads up. It'd be really helpful if you could say a bit more about staying the night in Alsace: what did it feel like staying in a hotel. Apart from masks were there any extra precautions, and did you feel quite safe?

Jake.White Jun 23rd 2020 2:21 pm

Cheers for that. Good to know that it's hassle free. I'm away on Thursday.

Palmy Jun 23rd 2020 3:58 pm

Really helpful - been reading all your posts for a while to get a feel for the forum. We are heading off through the tunnel Monday to view some properties so great to hear its fairly easy travelling.

Interested to hear how busy the roads have been....... cheers

Seldomseenkid Jun 24th 2020 6:12 am

Hi and thanks for the interest everyone. The roads have been generally pretty empty although filling up around Milan obviously. Plenty of commercial stuff on the roads not so much private vehicles which is to be expected I suppose. It will be interesting to see how soon it returns to normal. The hotel in Alsace was happy to see us and apart from the use of masks nothing seems to have changed. I noticed Dutch and Belgian cars parked outside. Here in Oltrepo Pavese in the town, Stradella, last night we saw a lot of masks being used in the pizzeria but out in the country not so much. Lots of shops still closed so the question has to be asked will they reopen? This part of Italy is new to me but it seems to have been hit hard by the virus. Back home tomorrow when I will be able to judge the changes better.
The big thing I have noticed on the road is the lack of tourist busses. Tourism accounts for a whopping 13% of Italian GDP and without it times are not going to be easy, to put it mildly.

Accetturese Jun 25th 2020 12:59 pm

We no longer need to wear masks outside. Only if inside a shop or other premises. Lots of people here seem to gave given up on them altogether.
we have not had a break for quite a while so I have booked us a holiday home in Firenze for the first week in August. Brother in law not keen on us taking his daughter abroad this year, so we are taking her there instead.