Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Niscemi/Acate move... water shortages... ?

Niscemi/Acate move... water shortages... ?

Old Nov 17th 2017, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Pailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the rough
Default Niscemi/Acate move... water shortages... ?

Hello,

Just introducing myself really, I'm planning on viewing a property in Sicily in a couple of weeks. The idea being to rent for 12 months with an option to buy thereafter.
The property is a bungalow really with a couple of acres, which is what I've been hoping for, it's quite rural and "out in the sticks" roughly central between Niscemi and Acate.

Would love to know... well everything really, I must admit to finding the whole process of moving very confusing, residency, reporting to police stations, buying a car...

One thing that's worrying me is whether there's a big problem with water shortages in summer, does anyone know?

Any input much appreciated!
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:36 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Niscemi/Acate move... water shortages... ?

Originally Posted by Pailor
Hello,

Just introducing myself really, I'm planning on viewing a property in Sicily in a couple of weeks. The idea being to rent for 12 months with an option to buy thereafter.
The property is a bungalow really with a couple of acres, which is what I've been hoping for, it's quite rural and "out in the sticks" roughly central between Niscemi and Acate.

Would love to know... well everything really, I must admit to finding the whole process of moving very confusing, residency, reporting to police stations, buying a car...

One thing that's worrying me is whether there's a big problem with water shortages in summer, does anyone know?

Any input much appreciated!
Hello and welcome.

I can't help with the area you've chosen to live in as I'm miles away in the North ............... but there is no reporting to police stations. If a EU citizen you don't have to do anything for the first three months - 90 days. Residency is applied for at the local town hall but you will need proof of funds, your rental contract and private health insurance. You can't buy a car without having official residency. You will need a codice fiscale, which is one of the easiest things to get here. You go to the Agenzia Delle Entrate to get that. It's a bit like a National Insurance number.

All the best to you. Shout out with any other questions you might have.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Pailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the roughPailor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hello and welcome.

I can't help with the area you've chosen to live in as I'm miles away in the North ............... but there is no reporting to police stations. If a EU citizen you don't have to do anything for the first three months - 90 days. Residency is applied for at the local town hall but you will need proof of funds, your rental contract and private health insurance. You can't buy a car without having official residency. You will need a codice fiscale, which is one of the easiest things to get here. You go to the Agenzia Delle Entrate to get that. It's a bit like a National Insurance number.

All the best to you. Shout out with any other questions you might have.
Thanks Lorna
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

If you're out in the sticks then its more than likely you won't have mains water. You need to know if the property has a trivella or a cisterna - the latter is more likely, so it will mean a tanker coming every couple fo weeks to fill it up. You'll be out near the MUOS station near the national park.?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
You'll be out near the MUOS station near the national park.?
Hi Modicasa Thanks

It's about half an hour away, it's an agricultural area, it hadn't occurred to me that it might not have mains water- I will ask the owner about that asap!