Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

A new life in Italy?

A new life in Italy?

Old Sep 20th 2006, 6:13 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Mike.s. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A new life in Italy?

I live with my girlfriend in the midlands we are both (i think) proffesional people in our mid 20's with no children, i have been a police officer since the age of 19 and my girlfriend is a secondary/a level teacher in perfoming arts.

We want to move abroad, either italy or spain but we have a problem, if we move we'd like to give our stressful careers up and start again.

We really are at the start of the process has anyone out there been in this position and can offer any help?

Thankyou and i look forward to any advise you can offer!

Mike
Mike.s. is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2006, 3:53 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 27
piedmontproperty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by Mike.s.
I live with my girlfriend in the midlands we are both (i think) proffesional people in our mid 20's with no children, i have been a police officer since the age of 19 and my girlfriend is a secondary/a level teacher in perfoming arts.

We want to move abroad, either italy or spain but we have a problem, if we move we'd like to give our stressful careers up and start again.

We really are at the start of the process has anyone out there been in this position and can offer any help?

Thankyou and i look forward to any advise you can offer!

Mike
I did exactly the same and have no regrets. If you choose Italy as I did I really think it pays to get some of the language under your belt first. Then you can really mix with the locals and enjoy the life style
piedmontproperty is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:45 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gray C's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Cheshire England
Posts: 1,125
Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by piedmontproperty
I did exactly the same and have no regrets. If you choose Italy as I did I really think it pays to get some of the language under your belt first. Then you can really mix with the locals and enjoy the life style
Is it feasible to buy a habitable three bedroomed rural property with enough land for a nice garden and pool for approximately £115k? We do not want a ruin, but would be willing to do some restoration.

Also, is it feasible for a family of three to live reasonably comfortably (no mortgage) on approximately £1,200 per month?

I know we can do this in Spain, but not sure about Italy.

Graham
Gray C is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:04 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by Gray C
Is it feasible to buy a habitable three bedroomed rural property with enough land for a nice garden and pool for approximately £115k?



Graham
Where in Italy? In the veneto, no.
mazi is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:26 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 27
piedmontproperty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by Gray C
Is it feasible to buy a habitable three bedroomed rural property with enough land for a nice garden and pool for approximately £115k? We do not want a ruin, but would be willing to do some restoration.

Also, is it feasible for a family of three to live reasonably comfortably (no mortgage) on approximately £1,200 per month?

I know we can do this in Spain, but not sure about Italy.

Graham
Hi Graham

In my opinion if you come to Italy debt free 2 people can live ok on 1000/1200 Euros a month. The Utilities are no cheaper but wine and food is if you shop wisely
piedmontproperty is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:27 am
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 7
Felicity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by piedmontproperty
Hi Graham

In my opinion if you come to Italy debt free 2 people can live ok on 1000/1200 Euros a month. The Utilities are no cheaper but wine and food is if you shop wisely
I'd say so if you don't live in Rome! I'm in Rome and like most capital cities.. it's expensive! But somewhere rural - yes, you can live on that!
Good luck!
Ciao
Felicity is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:36 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 27
piedmontproperty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by Felicity
I'd say so if you don't live in Rome! I'm in Rome and like most capital cities.. it's expensive! But somewhere rural - yes, you can live on that!
Good luck!
Ciao
Yes your right, I lived in Rome for a year and it can be a tad expensive. Great place though.Stick to the Piemonte area me thinks
piedmontproperty is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:39 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 27
piedmontproperty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by piedmontproperty
Hi Graham

In my opinion if you come to Italy debt free 2 people can live ok on 1000/1200 Euros a month. The Utilities are no cheaper but wine and food is if you shop wisely
Hi Graham

Yes you can buy a rural property for that kind of money but it may need some modernising, but certainly habitable.
piedmontproperty is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:24 am
  #9  
Capo di nessuno capo
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 43
stefanaccio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Agree with the above. Swimming pools cost some serious money (?30k euro) from what I have seen. Casale in Abruzzo
stefanaccio is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:58 am
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 27
piedmontproperty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by stefanaccio
Agree with the above. Swimming pools cost some serious money (?30k euro) from what I have seen. Casale in Abruzzo
In my experience an 8 x 4 metre pool is around 20K Euros
piedmontproperty is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2006, 1:36 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
nixpix's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
nixpix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Hi Mike - strangly enough - we have moved a year ago from the Midlands to Italy!
We have a small place in Tuscany but unfortunately cant live there full time as there is not the work there - we are both teachers
Eventually got both jobs in Milan - not a patch on Tuscany I know but getting used to the hectic city!!
Let us know if you need help at all or if you take the plunge - your girlfriend should be able to look at jobs on the www.tes.co.uk jobs overseas section. I know for one our school struggled to find a drama teacher - we may be after one later this year - who knows? Cant suggest for you but a few of our new teachers have other halves who are happily teaching English in Milan privately or with a company
nixpix is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:42 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Vicenza
Posts: 18
Clarky7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by Gray C View Post
Is it feasible to buy a habitable three bedroomed rural property with enough land for a nice garden and pool for approximately £115k? We do not want a ruin, but would be willing to do some restoration.

Also, is it feasible for a family of three to live reasonably comfortably (no mortgage) on approximately £1,200 per month?

I know we can do this in Spain, but not sure about Italy.

Graham
Hi Graham,

I live in northern Italy and the average Italian earns approx 1200 euros. So living on 1200 pounds will be no problem.

Wayne
Clarky7 is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:19 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
moni69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by nixpix View Post
Hi Mike - strangly enough - we have moved a year ago from the Midlands to Italy!
We have a small place in Tuscany but unfortunately cant live there full time as there is not the work there - we are both teachers
Eventually got both jobs in Milan - not a patch on Tuscany I know but getting used to the hectic city!!
Let us know if you need help at all or if you take the plunge - your girlfriend should be able to look at jobs on the www.tes.co.uk jobs overseas section. I know for one our school struggled to find a drama teacher - we may be after one later this year - who knows? Cant suggest for you but a few of our new teachers have other halves who are happily teaching English in Milan privately or with a company
hey there

i am new to the site, joining as i have been offered a job in the calabria area and looking for expats for advise. i am a performing arts teacher, who really wants to be based in lake garda and work in milan. i teach further education, am qualified and very experienced. i am debating about whether or not to take a teaching post in calabria, just to get me set up in terms of working in the country. but my dream is to return to the north where i worked 12 years ago. is your school still looking for a drama teacher, and can anyone help re advise and tips. i speak pretty good italian already

cheers

simone
moni69 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.