British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   A new life in Italy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/new-life-italy-397665/)

Mike.s. Sep 20th 2006 6:13 pm

A new life in Italy?

I live with my girlfriend in the midlands we are both (i think) proffesional people in our mid 20's with no children, i have been a police officer since the age of 19 and my girlfriend is a secondary/a level teacher in perfoming arts.

We want to move abroad, either italy or spain but we have a problem, if we move we'd like to give our stressful careers up and start again.

We really are at the start of the process has anyone out there been in this position and can offer any help?

Thankyou and i look forward to any advise you can offer!

Mike

piedmontproperty Sep 30th 2006 3:53 pm

Re: A new life in Italy?

Originally Posted by Mike.s.
I live with my girlfriend in the midlands we are both (i think) proffesional people in our mid 20's with no children, i have been a police officer since the age of 19 and my girlfriend is a secondary/a level teacher in perfoming arts.

We want to move abroad, either italy or spain but we have a problem, if we move we'd like to give our stressful careers up and start again.

We really are at the start of the process has anyone out there been in this position and can offer any help?

Thankyou and i look forward to any advise you can offer!

Mike

I did exactly the same and have no regrets. If you choose Italy as I did I really think it pays to get some of the language under your belt first. Then you can really mix with the locals and enjoy the life style

Gray C Oct 29th 2006 8:45 am

Originally Posted by piedmontproperty
I did exactly the same and have no regrets. If you choose Italy as I did I really think it pays to get some of the language under your belt first. Then you can really mix with the locals and enjoy the life style

Is it feasible to buy a habitable three bedroomed rural property with enough land for a nice garden and pool for approximately £115k? We do not want a ruin, but would be willing to do some restoration.

Also, is it feasible for a family of three to live reasonably comfortably (no mortgage) on approximately £1,200 per month?

I know we can do this in Spain, but not sure about Italy.

Graham

mazi Nov 2nd 2006 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gray C
Is it feasible to buy a habitable three bedroomed rural property with enough land for a nice garden and pool for approximately £115k?

Graham

Where in Italy? In the veneto, no.

piedmontproperty Dec 1st 2006 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gray C
Is it feasible to buy a habitable three bedroomed rural property with enough land for a nice garden and pool for approximately £115k? We do not want a ruin, but would be willing to do some restoration.

Also, is it feasible for a family of three to live reasonably comfortably (no mortgage) on approximately £1,200 per month?

Graham

Hi Graham

In my opinion if you come to Italy debt free 2 people can live ok on 1000/1200 Euros a month. The Utilities are no cheaper but wine and food is if you shop wisely

Felicity Dec 5th 2006 9:27 am

Hi Graham

In my opinion if you come to Italy debt free 2 people can live ok on 1000/1200 Euros a month. The Utilities are no cheaper but wine and food is if you shop wisely

I'd say so if you don't live in Rome! I'm in Rome and like most capital cities.. it's expensive! But somewhere rural - yes, you can live on that!
Good luck!
Ciao

piedmontproperty Dec 5th 2006 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Felicity
I'd say so if you don't live in Rome! I'm in Rome and like most capital cities.. it's expensive! But somewhere rural - yes, you can live on that!
Good luck!
Ciao

Yes your right, I lived in Rome for a year and it can be a tad expensive. Great place though.Stick to the Piemonte area me thinks

piedmontproperty Dec 5th 2006 12:39 pm

Hi Graham

Hi Graham

Yes you can buy a rural property for that kind of money but it may need some modernising, but certainly habitable.

stefanaccio Dec 6th 2006 11:24 am

Agree with the above. Swimming pools cost some serious money (?30k euro) from what I have seen. Casale in Abruzzo

piedmontproperty Dec 6th 2006 11:58 am

Originally Posted by stefanaccio
Agree with the above. Swimming pools cost some serious money (?30k euro) from what I have seen. Casale in Abruzzo

In my experience an 8 x 4 metre pool is around 20K Euros

nixpix Dec 14th 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Mike - strangly enough - we have moved a year ago from the Midlands to Italy!
We have a small place in Tuscany but unfortunately cant live there full time as there is not the work there - we are both teachers
Eventually got both jobs in Milan - not a patch on Tuscany I know but getting used to the hectic city!!
Let us know if you need help at all or if you take the plunge - your girlfriend should be able to look at jobs on the www.tes.co.uk jobs overseas section. I know for one our school struggled to find a drama teacher - we may be after one later this year - who knows? Cant suggest for you but a few of our new teachers have other halves who are happily teaching English in Milan privately or with a company

Clarky7 Jan 3rd 2007 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gray C (Post 4058288)

Graham

Hi Graham,

I live in northern Italy and the average Italian earns approx 1200 euros. So living on 1200 pounds will be no problem.

Wayne

moni69 Mar 29th 2007 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by nixpix (Post 4200400)
Hi Mike - strangly enough - we have moved a year ago from the Midlands to Italy!
We have a small place in Tuscany but unfortunately cant live there full time as there is not the work there - we are both teachers
Eventually got both jobs in Milan - not a patch on Tuscany I know but getting used to the hectic city!!
Let us know if you need help at all or if you take the plunge - your girlfriend should be able to look at jobs on the www.tes.co.uk jobs overseas section. I know for one our school struggled to find a drama teacher - we may be after one later this year - who knows? Cant suggest for you but a few of our new teachers have other halves who are happily teaching English in Milan privately or with a company

hey there

i am new to the site, joining as i have been offered a job in the calabria area and looking for expats for advise. i am a performing arts teacher, who really wants to be based in lake garda and work in milan. i teach further education, am qualified and very experienced. i am debating about whether or not to take a teaching post in calabria, just to get me set up in terms of working in the country. but my dream is to return to the north where i worked 12 years ago. is your school still looking for a drama teacher, and can anyone help re advise and tips. i speak pretty good italian already

cheers

simone