Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New here. Looking for some info?!

Wikiposts

New here. Looking for some info?!

Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:09 am
Just Joined

little pip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New here. Looking for some info?!

Hi. Im currently living in the UK. I have family over in Italy who want me to move over there with them. I really want to go and be with them more than anything. Iv never been abroad before though. What do i need to know? What do i need to have or have to apply for?? I dont know where to begin.
Any help or advice would be massively appreciated. Thank you.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Re: New here. Looking for some info?!

Originally Posted by little pip
Hi. Im currently living in the UK. I have family over in Italy who want me to move over there with them. I really want to go and be with them more than anything. Iv never been abroad before though. What do i need to know? What do i need to have or have to apply for?? I dont know where to begin.
Hi there,

If you're a UK citizen, then you don't really need anything in the way of papers except a passport and a ticket. (You can apply for the passport at your nearest post-office, I think, and the cheapest tickets are on cheap airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet, that fly from lots of places in the UK to lots of places in Italy.) Nothing else at all. And once you're in Italy, your family will make sure you're OK.

But why move ? Why not just fly over and see them every now and again ? It's not expensive, so long as you book early and avoid having too much baggage.

http://www.ryanair.com/en

http://www.easyjet.com/en

Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:13 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome - I advise you to have a good read through the previous threads on people moving to Italy as there is lots of good information there.

As Sancho says you need your passport and an airline ticket (asssuming you are UK citizen) and additionally I suggest you pack your sense of humour and an inexhaustable supply of patience. These 4 things and you will be fine

Where are you headed in Italy?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:23 am
Just Joined

little pip is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.

It's a good job i have a cracking sense of humor and plenty of patience, thats a starter.
I also started learning the language a while ago (very difficult).
They live in Turin. (sorry, i think thats the place)
Its so frustrating been over here on my own, i really hate it. I thought it would be ok but after a long while without, it only seems to be much worse. The idea of moving over there is something i want more than anything.

I also have a dog who i cant leave without him. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about how to go about getting him there with me? He is already micro chipped, i know he'll need a passport. What about vaccinations?

Sorry i dont know anything at all. Im just scared of it all not working out.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:46 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.

It's a good job i have a cracking sense of humor and plenty of patience, thats a starter.
I also started learning the language a while ago (very difficult).
They live in Turin. (sorry, i think thats the place)
Its so frustrating been over here on my own, i really hate it. I thought it would be ok but after a long while without, it only seems to be much worse. The idea of moving over there is something i want more than anything.

I also have a dog who i cant leave without him. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about how to go about getting him there with me? He is already micro chipped, i know he'll need a passport. What about vaccinations?

Sorry i dont know anything at all. Im just scared of it all not working out.
Hello Pip and welcome to the forum.
What kind of family have you got in Italy? I'm not being nosey - just wondered if you were entitled to an Italian passport as well if you have dual citizenship.

Use the search function for advice on your dog. There are threads already in this Italy forum as plenty of people have brought pets with them - or taken them back. Try searching with the words 'dog' or 'pets'.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

Pip,

Everything you need to know regarding traveling with a pet and re-entering the UK can be found on the DEFRA website.

www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/#a

Scratcher