Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New biometric card

New biometric card

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New biometric card

Originally Posted by modicasa
"they have the right to request a carta d'identita elettronica when you change residence.... Perhaps its worth finding out what they actually want.
Modicasa is normally right. If so then they will be asking everyone, including Italians, to provide a electronic, biometric ID card.

Davejones90 -Have you triple checked that they are asking you for the new electronic card for UK citizens registered here prior to Brexit (etc, etc) OR are they asking for the electronic, biometric ID card that has been around for a number of years? What type of ID card do you have?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

davejones90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C.2s
Modicasa is normally right. If so then they will be asking everyone, including Italians, to provide a electronic, biometric ID card.

Davejones90 -Have you triple checked that they are asking you for the new electronic card for UK citizens registered here prior to Brexit (etc, etc) OR are they asking for the electronic, biometric ID card that has been around for a number of years? What type of ID card do you have?
They are asking for the permesso di soggiorno elettronico. What I assumed they are asking for was the biometric card!
I went to the local comune 2 years ago and applied for what was presented to me as necessary, the 'attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica di cittadino dell'unione europea' then in December 2020 I was requested to also fill out 'attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica di cittadino del regno unito di gran bretagna e dell'irlanda del nord'.
Even doing this came as a battle as at first they waved me away saying no-one will ever check so I insisted.

Is it beginning to dawn on me that I needed something else here? I was totally unaware of any form of compulsory ID card biometric or otherwise.

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for my "Biometric card" 5 days ago via PEC to the Palermo Questura and I will be getting it on Friday. Here in Palermo it is called a Carta di Soggiorno and yes the words "Accordo di Recesso" are mentioned but only as an afterthought, after a hyphen. You have to provide some proof of your current residence (iscrizione anagrafica). Although not compulsory and you not will be arrested for not having one it seems to already be essential at least on certain administrative sites.

Last edited by nicktonight; Mar 23rd 2021 at 5:23 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nicktonight
I applied for my "Biometric card" 5 days ago via PEC to the Palermo Questura and I will be getting it on Friday. Here in Palermo it is called a Carta di Soggiorno and yes the words "Accordo di Recesso" are mentioned but only as an afterthought, after a hyphen. You have to provide some proof of your current residence (iscrizione anagrafica)
Honestly, I think I am getting my ID cards mixed up.
What I understand is that there was a 'NEW' Biometric ID' card offered after Brexit. Non-compulsory.
What I seem to be hearing is there is an old electronic ID card that people have instead of/in addition to paper residence. I am uncertain if this is compulsory as I was not told as such at the comune 2 years ago.

If anyone can clear this up, I'd be eternally grateful.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, you may be mixing up your residence certificate which you get at the anagrafe (and gets you access to health care) and the carta di soggiorno which you can now get at the questura and was not required before Brexit but now seems to be compulsory in certain situations. The carta d'identità is a third document you may need if you don't have one already.
Before Brexit, British citizens didn't have to go to the questura as they had an automatic right to live in Italy. The first stop was the anagrafe for health care. Now as non-EU we must first go to the questura to get the "Biometric card" or carta/permesso di soggiorno and then take this to the anagrafe for residence/health care. The identity card is optional for people with a permesso di soggiorno. Hope thist explanation helps and is obviously open to contradiction!

Last edited by nicktonight; Mar 23rd 2021 at 6:05 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 6:36 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davejones90
They are asking for the permesso di soggiorno elettronico. What I assumed they are asking for was the biometric card!
I went to the local comune 2 years ago and applied for what was presented to me as necessary, the 'attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica di cittadino dell'unione europea' then in December 2020 I was requested to also fill out 'attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica di cittadino del regno unito di gran bretagna e dell'irlanda del nord'.
Even doing this came as a battle as at first they waved me away saying no-one will ever check so I insisted.

Is it beginning to dawn on me that I needed something else here? I was totally unaware of any form of compulsory ID card biometric or otherwise.
By documento di soggiorno elettronico, they do indead mean the new card THAT NOBODY HAS OBTAINED YET! You do not need an ID card, your passport is enough along with the WA attestazione. Vicenza is well versed to residency for foreigners so I suspect that this is a case of 'this is what the system is asking for'. You really need to contact IOM.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to contradict others here but the best thing for Dave to do is accept the new reality and get the Biometric card that Vincenza is asking for and not waste time arguing about rights with the IOM. If Vincenza don't give you the card straight away you will get a temporary document to use at the anagrafe. Everyone will need the biometric card in future whatever they say. If you are already in Vincenza write an email to the questura asking for an appointment to get a carta di soggiorno. For a guaranteed rapid answer use a PEC to send the email to the specific PEC email at the questura for the "Regno Unito".
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 11:21 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to contradict others here but the best thing for Dave to do is accept the new reality and get the Biometric card that Vincenza is asking for and not waste time arguing about rights with the IOM. If Vincenza don't give you the card straight away you will get a temporary document to use at the anagrafe. Everyone will need the biometric card in future whatever they say. If you are already in Vincenza write an email to the questura asking for an appointment to get a carta di soggiorno. For a guaranteed rapid answer use a PEC to send the email to the specific PEC email at the questura for the "Regno Unito".
From what I'v have read elsewhere a receipt for the application of the biometric card won't work because system requires the card's expiry date . IOM and the British consulate are fully aware of the problem - there was a Q&A session a few weeks ago- which they resolve by contacting the individual comunes until the problem is resolved at government level.

Last edited by 37100; Mar 23rd 2021 at 11:34 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 7:05 am
Just Joined

IOM are already willing to take the case, I was just waiting for Vicenza to reply to my email pointing them to the official government guidelines that state the card is not compulsory.
I should elaborate a little to explain why I do not wish to get the new biometric card.
My lease here is up, I will be renting in Vicenza on a transitory contract for 6 months and then I am leaving Europe entirely.
I'm allowed to stay 3 months as a Brit, but that doesn't take me through to September.

So, to apply for, pay and give up more personal information including biometrics to a country I'm leaving in 6 months, when it is not compulsory or something im willing to do is why I hesitate.

Does any one reading this know of a solution if Vicenza refuse flat out even after IOM intervention?
​​​​​​

Last edited by davejones90; Mar 24th 2021 at 7:12 am.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

That's true about biometrics. I'm having second thoughts already as this involves undergoing "fotosegnalamento" at the immigration office which according to a friend is a very busy place. Has anyone any experience of this? Is this a safe thing to do in the middle of a new covid wave for a man in his sixties. Covid is very bad in the centre of Palermo at the moment.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The electronic carta d'identita is not compulsory unless the comune requests it. Sounds bizarre but there it is. It is also becoming compulsory by the back door as renewals are automatically now the electronic version. Milan for example now only issues electronic ID - known as the CIE. They will give you a paper version only in emergencies really. They say this is because your new electronic CdI gives you access to the Public Administration and online signatures, spid and all sorts of 'advantages' - such as getting into museums and bike sharing all without tickets (in theory)
Old Mar 24th 2021, 10:52 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by modicasa
The electronic carta d'identita is not compulsory unless the comune requests it. Sounds bizarre but there it is. It is also becoming compulsory by the back door as renewals are automatically now the electronic version. Milan for example now only issues electronic ID - known as the CIE. They will give you a paper version only in emergencies really. They say this is because your new electronic CdI gives you access to the Public Administration and online signatures, spid and all sorts of 'advantages' - such as getting into museums and bike sharing all without tickets (in theory)
Comunes are no longer allowed to issue paper ID's and even in an emergency, it's a trial to get one. My son tried, but it took several hours and he had to sign his life away and he only came away with a copy not a new card.
Comunes are now allowed to replace paper ones before the expiry date when giving you an electronic one. Cards issued Oct '17 - Feb '18 need to be replaced, free of charge, because they don't work.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 1:08 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Davejones,

no problem at all tagging me in your initial post. I can't help any more than everybody else though because so far, I have refused to go to Vicenza for several reasons.
I have my permanent residency and also the WA residency from my comune. Nobody knew what the hell was happening in January. It seemed that the new carta di soggiorno was to ease travelling/border controls and I wasn't travelling anywhere. People who had requested it in other Questuras were getting conflicting information and everybody was being told that Rome wasn't even producing it yet nor capable of making these new plastic cards. We were in zona rossa then arancione and now rossa again and I couldn't be bloody bothered to drive 30km each way to get a new card that I didn't need and wasn't compulsory or to be told that Vicenza didn't have a clue what to do. Plus, the last time I was at the Questura was admittedly in 2000 but they were absolute arseholes and just the thought of going back gives me nightmares.

Of course word has spread all over Italy now that Brexit Britons must have this new card for goddamn everything and all kinds of Italians are requesting us to produce it, even insisting on it despite proclamations from all over that it isn't an obligation and none of us have it in our hands yet.

Old Mar 24th 2021, 1:15 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

That's true about biometrics. I'm having second thoughts already as this involves undergoing "fotosegnalamento" at the immigration office which according to a friend is a very busy place. Has anyone any experience of this? Is this a safe thing to do in the middle of a new covid wave for a man in his sixties. Covid is very bad in the centre of Palermo at the moment.

I thought it was just fingerprints.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 8:19 am
Just Joined

UPDATE; After a week of back and forth, always receiving a 'NO', yesterday I informed Vicenza that the IOM would be taking my case.
Lo and behold, this morning Vicenza have relented and accepted my application without any additional cards, bollos or biometrics.

Thanks for everyone's help, of course, it's not in the bag yet but were on our way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.