Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New biometric card

New biometric card

Old Mar 22nd 2021, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

davejones90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New biometric card

Hi Ruby2 Thank you for this, I shall check them out.
Would I be right in saying that it is not obligatory and that a comune should not refuse registration if you do not have one?
To me, with all the delays, health crisies, lack of systems in place for this card it seems crazy they could refuse someone wanting to change residence.
Any clarification would be appreciated.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

It is definitely not obligatory although the Embassy are advising people to get one because it will simplify things for us. Although several people have applied to their questura and attended appointments taking relevant documentation I don’t think any of the new cards have been printed yet. You say you have been here for 2 years and you already have the relevant Brexit documentation in which case Vicenza anagrafe are talking nonsense.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave, I have been trying to work this out myself and I may be wrong but my conclusions are as follows! The "biometric card" is the same thing as the "permesso" or carta di soggiorno that all non-EU immigrants in Italy must have. It does not give British citizens any special new rights other than those held by all other immigrants to Italy wh have a CdiS. The only special thing for Brits is that those who were resident before the 1 Jan 2021 can get one automatically. The "optional" nature of this permesso is simply because someone like myself already has a valid ID card and health card so I don't immediately need to get a permesso di soggiorno. The problem arises if you want to change job, place of residence, renew your ID card or become an Italian citizen to retain your lost rights. In this case a carta di soggiorno is obligatory. My advice would be to open a PEC and make your application at your local questura today for your carta di soggiorno. A lot of questura have a special office just for UK citizens. Perhaps you can directly apply to the Vincenza office if you have a Vincenza address
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

As we thought, thank you.
Yes, officially registered and got the Brexit document back in mid December to allow me to remain legal after withdrawal. All paperwork copies sent to Vicenza and now a refusal.
We have emailed already with some direct points of reference regarding this and so we'll see what returns.
We are hoping that is is simply what they have been told to request (in a tone that makes people think it is obligatory) and that at the end of the day, they will process it without.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

From what you write Itseems to me that Vicenza just want a new electronic carta d'identia and not the old paper thing. it takes 10 days and costs 22 euros or thereabouts.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

But why get a carta identita for the address you are leaving?

It's not the same thing as permesso card that never been EU/not moved before 2021 people get.

You need to make sure you get the right card otherwise you'll only have problems further down the line.

If you were here pre 2021 and all correctly registered you don't need 'permesso'.

You have the legal right to go to the Questura (if you want, it's not obligatory) and get the new card.

But one of the issues people seem to be having is that the officials follow a sort of flow-chart, which is often automated into their computer systems, and when they enter the fact that someone is a British citizen this has been updated to say "Not EU, permesso di soggiorno required", and so they automatically ask you for it. Unfortunately, the computer systems don't seem to have a category for "Not EU anymore, but was EU and still has the right to be here" - so you need to stand your ground and politely send them all the links to the Italian govt advice and insist on the correct card.

https://www.thelocal.it/20210225/wha...rits-in-italy/
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi C.2s
This actually makes a lot of sense, thanks for breaking it down for me like this.
Of course they'd be following a flow-chart and if the computer says no, the person inputting the data comes to a dead end.
We shall stand our ground like you suggest and keep on at them about this.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks C,2s for pointing out that the biometric card is not the permesso card that never been EU/not moved before 2021 people get (as this card preserves the "diriti riconosciuti dall’accordo di recesso"). However as this card is optional I would like to have a clear explanation of what these extra rights are and how they improve over those of the ordinary permesso card. At the moment it seems like a "miroir aux alouettes" to me

Last edited by nicktonight; Mar 22nd 2021 at 5:02 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 5:34 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davejones90
As we thought, thank you.
Yes, officially registered and got the Brexit document back in mid December to allow me to remain legal after withdrawal. All paperwork copies sent to Vicenza and now a refusal.
We have emailed already with some direct points of reference regarding this and so we'll see what returns.
We are hoping that is is simply what they have been told to request (in a tone that makes people think it is obligatory) and that at the end of the day, they will process it without.
Thanks again.
I read though Vicenza's comune web site and it does say, specifically for UK citizens post Brexit, that they want the biometric card, but only for Brits who are not yet resident anywhere in Italy. I think that you ran into an overzealous, no nothing, idiot.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Extra rights? No.

Confirmation of diriti riconosciuti dall’accordo di recesso in a format that is supposed to be standard throughout the EU and thus useful if you are stopped in another EU state and need to provide evidence of your rights? Supposedly, yes...But in practice it depends on the official understanding that a different document exists for those of us with pre-brexit status.

To be fair to them, they may be overzealous idiots (a lot of them are), but we've obviously got much greater reasons to understand the situation and yet we are on page 6 of this thread and we're still confused! :-)

Maybe we should cut the officials a bit of slack if they're not quite up to speed (especially during Covid)?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

"But why get a carta identita for the address you are leaving?" - a) Because it has all your data on it and they only have to swipe it... b) because we're in Italy. If Vicenza has an ufficio anagrafe which is part of the new Anagrafe nazionale they have the right to request a carta d'identita elettronica when you change residence.... Perhaps its worth finding out what they actually want.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 9:36 am
Just Joined

A new day a new email reply from Vicenza.
They again state it is 'compulsory' to provide them with the electronic card which seems to go against everything I am reading.
37100 do you happen to have the direct link to where you saw that information on Vicenza's comune website, my next step is to show them some government links and maybe their own information.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

They again state it is 'compulsory' to provide them with the electronic card which seems to go against everything I am reading.
37100 do you happen to have the direct link to where you saw that information on Vicenza's comune website, my next step is to show them some government links and maybe their own information.
Is there anything that physically stops you moving to Vicenza and then applying?
It will be easier for them and for you.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 12:59 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Do get in touch with the IOM. They need to know about these problems and they can tackle the comune directly. However, you really need to have already moved to Vicenza as the local police will come out and check.
Here is the link. Unfortunately, they haven't updated the English version yet.
https://www.comune.vicenza.it/uffici...a_altro_comune
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
Is there anything that physically stops you moving to Vicenza and then applying?
It will be easier for them and for you.
Well we were advised to apply online first due to delays and obvious restrictions so at least then the process is started.

The thing is, I have everything required by law to reside here, I paid 30+ Euros for the Brexit paperwork back in December and I am at pains to spend the same again for something that is not only non-obligatory but also something which seems, in many comuni around Italy, not even set up yet!
Once their systems are set up and hiccups are ironed out (of which there will be some) then maybe I can look into it but in the meantime I shall keep on at Vicenza.
I have a good solid wall here I can bang myself on in case required.
Call me a tight synic but that's my principled view right now.

EDIT: IOM have already said they will contact Vicenza directly to clarify with them and they for sure say it is not compulsory.

Last edited by davejones90; Mar 23rd 2021 at 1:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.