Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New biometric card

New biometric card

Old Mar 5th 2021, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of
Default Re: New biometric card

I'm with HadEnoughPizza on this: The new digital residence card (Carta Elettronico di Soggiorno) for Brits resident in the EU prior to 2021 is just that; a digital card recognised and issued by all EU countries in the same format (not just the Questure in Italy). It is not an I.D. card but is a proof of the right to residency in an EU country for those Brits that are eligible having been resident in Italy prior to 31 Dec 2020.

Old Mar 6th 2021, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Does it give UK citizens any extra rights though? Can I go and spend more than 90 days in another EU country than Italy where I am resident. Can I go through the Schengen gate at the airport?
Old Mar 10th 2021, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Hi all - decided this morning to try and get an appointment at the questura so sent off an email which bounced straight back. I sort of expected this in view of comments above. I then sorted out a pec email - went for a cheap one via aruba.it - it was an easy process all done on line but then I got confused by the different passwords for accessing aruba's site and the pec mail box. Eventually got it sorted out and sent my email successfully - now awaiting a reply. Next challenge will be the post office for the postal order payment...
Old Mar 11th 2021, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Gbinitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone actually received one of these cards?
Old Mar 11th 2021, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

When you send a pec you will get an email back saying it has been accettata - meaning it has been accepted by the system. Thena second saying it hasbeen consegnata - in that it has reached the right mailbox. If they read it of course is another matter, but legally once consegnata you have the law on the your side. The PA must reply within 30 days.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

After having no luck (so far) with ordinary email (see above) I too have opened a pec and I sent the message 3 days ago. I'll see how it goes.

By the way, my ordinary email didn't bounce back, it just hasn't provoked any reaction up to now.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

I took the same route as Lugsbug and opened an Aruba PEC account (yes, I agree it's a faff initially having two separate Aruba log-ins but have added the PEC account to my Outlook and Gmail apps and it now works okay without further need for log-in info). Sent a PEC to the Treviso Questura on Tuesday and they responded this morning with an appointment in 5 weeks time. So far so good.
(Best I get the passport photos and bolletino done before we go into zona Rosa.)
Old Mar 11th 2021, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, my experience so far:

Last Friday, sent a PEC to the Questura of the Provincial Capital requesting an appointment
Monday, received a PEC reply that the matter had been forwarded to my local Questura
Wednesday, received a PEC from local Questura, asking me to ring them to arrange an appointment.
Thursday (today) phoned Questura. Very helpful people, appointment made at a time of my choosing, next Wednesday.

The problem is, it can only go downhill from here ...
Old Mar 11th 2021, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

orsetta is an unknown quantity at this point

For me I had no problems using regular email and had my appointment at the end of January - was informed at the time it could take 3 months to arrive, but I suppose it depends on how many Brits are in your locality applying for one.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orsetta
For me I had no problems using regular email and had my appointment at the end of January - was informed at the time it could take 3 months to arrive, but I suppose it depends on how many Brits are in your locality applying for one.
The problem with the number of Brits is that if there are lots you might end up waiting a long time. If there are very few, the 'authorities' may not know what they're doing. Swings and roundabouts I suspect. There are very few Brits around here, but, miraculously I suspect, the Questura are giving very much the impression that they know what they're doing, and want to help. But I know that disillusion is only ever one step away.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 6:04 am
Just Joined

orsetta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Serrano
The problem with the number of Brits is that if there are lots you might end up waiting a long time. If there are very few, the 'authorities' may not know what they're doing. Swings and roundabouts I suspect. There are very few Brits around here, but, miraculously I suspect, the Questura are giving very much the impression that they know what they're doing, and want to help. But I know that disillusion is only ever one step away.
I agree totally, our one thought there was only 10 Brits and they then informed me that they got a shock. They also said to bring Italian ID but then asked for my British passport and no Italian ID at the appointment (lucky I took both). However, the appointment was quick, easy and pleasant. I think here it may take longer than 3 months, by which time I will have forgotten about it.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 7:33 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will take longer than three months because Rome apparently isn't even capable of producing the new card yet.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Reading through the different threads on the biometric card and WA certificate has made me decide to go the full monty, i.e. get Italian citizenship in order to restore all my lost rights and avoid these other two administrative formalities. I hope there are some useful threads here on that and in particular how to get birth certificate and police record documents certified in the UK?
Have we also lost the right of all Europeans to ask for Italian citizenship after only 4 years residence so that we now have to justify 10 years residence?
Old Mar 12th 2021, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

There’s a great Facebook group called ‘UK citizens applying for Italian citizenship - Beyond Brexit’. Gives you all you need to know.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ruby2
There’s a great Facebook group called ‘UK citizens applying for Italian citizenship - Beyond Brexit’. Gives you all you need to know.
Thanks Ruby2. Looks like a great help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.