British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   For my sanity (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/my-sanity-932854/)

Seldomseenkid May 25th 2020 11:53 am

For my sanity

We have been stuck in the UK under lock down in a holiday cottage and we are desperate to get back to our house in Italy a.s.a.p. but we need to do it by car and we do not have Italian residency. Does anyone know when this may be possible? Short of getting the RAF to fly us in by Hercules I will consider anything. I had the bright idea of a ferry to Bilbao and drive to Barcalona and another ferry to Savona but the Spanish borders are closed until July (I think). Any suggestions would be appreciated including any news when borders may be reopened.

Jake.White May 25th 2020 2:29 pm

Re: For my sanity

I'm watching the situation closely as I have to get over there asap too, and also by road. The ferry I take from North shields to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) is still on temporary hold till at least 17th June which makes that the earliest possible travel date for me. The land borders of Germany/Austria and Austria/Italy are still going to be closed I believe until 15th June. I don't know about France or Switzerland as I don't go that way but the last I heard was that France was going to be closed for all but essential travel till 1st July.

And then there is the added complication of all this 14 day quarantine nonsense beginning on 8th June and which France in a fit of tit for tat politics has promised to reciprocate in full : talk about locking the proverbial stable door after the horse bolted almost 3 months ago.....it makes me kind of wonder why during the second world war we didn't wait till 1946 to start the blackouts..bloody morons.

It's all completely crap, and as far as I'm concerned, completely unnecessary. We are being led by donkeys with nary a functioning brain cell between them..

Listen Very Carefully May 25th 2020 2:34 pm

So are you saying that you live permanently in Italy but you have not registered yourself at the Commune and got an ID card? Or is it a holiday home in Italy?

HADENOUGHPIZZA May 25th 2020 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid (Post 12857590)
We have been stuck in the UK under lock down in a holiday cottage and we are desperate to get back to our house in Italy a.s.a.p. but we need to do it by car and we do not have Italian residency. Does anyone know when this may be possible? Short of getting the RAF to fly us in by Hercules I will consider anything. I had the bright idea of a ferry to Bilbao and drive to Barcalona and another ferry to Savona but the Spanish borders are closed until July (I think). Any suggestions would be appreciated including any news when borders may be reopened.

My understanding is that the borders might open on 3 june but that is subject to a review of the daily contagion figures issued up to and probably including the day before . It could be that the borders open but that you won't be able to find an overland route or possibly that the UK is excluded from the arrangement anyway because of their handling of Covid .