Moving to the South of Italy

Moving to the South of Italy

Old Aug 5th 2021, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Letitia is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to the South of Italy

Hi all -
New to British expats!
The husband and myself are wanting to move to the South of Italy (Calabria) as we have family there.
We have a 14 and 7 year old.
Anyone out there currently - who can share any experiences?
I am a qualified English teacher.
There seems to be opportunities to work as a CELTA teacher.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:05 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the South of Italy

Hello and welcome to the forum. Before we all chip in with lots of help and advice there is one big question we need to ask. Is your husband Italian? If he isn't then Brexit has changed all the rules for you and your family.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Hi Lorna -

Thanks for relying #

Yes, he is Italian.
The kids and I both have dual citizenship.
Are you living in the South?
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. I'm right up North in the middle of some bloody great big mountains. Whereabouts would you be moving from? Although Calabria is Italy, it's ....... well it's Calabria
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Moving to the South of Italy

Hi Lorna
My husband's family live near Cosenza.
We are looking around Rende or Cosenza itself... not sure yet.
I suppose it would depend where I find work
Do you work?
How have you found living in Italy?
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:52 am
Just Joined

I'm not sure when is the best time to make the move...
I want my son to finish high school so that he has a good grasp of English....but then again I feel that he probably would not want to leave his British friends!
Old Aug 6th 2021, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Apparently it's bloody hot at the moment with a lot more wildfires than usual.It seems to be getting worse every year.Mind you they're forcasting 40+ in the UK in the future.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi Brian -

Yes, we experienced the extreme heat! Got back a week ago
Are you living in Clabria?
Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Calabria?
Old Aug 6th 2021, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Letitia
Hi Brian -

Yes, we experienced the extreme heat! Got back a week ago
Are you living in Clabria?
No but we drove over and arrived on the day of the 1st lockdown.If we had stopped at our planned hotel in Cassino we would have been stuck there for 3 months.We ended staying 8 months.We just make full use of our holiday home now we are retired.Not residents so things will be different now after Brexit.Good luck.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Letitia

The husband and myself are wanting to move to the South of Italy (Calabria) as we have family there.
We have a 14 and 7 year old.
I don't want to sound horribly off putting but school here is hard. The 7 year old will have less troubles. Official state school here starts at age six, so he'll probably be put down a year and start official primary school with all the Italians and other foreigners and he'll learn to read and write in Italian pretty quickly, much faster than you or his dad. The 14 year old, not quite so easy at high school level because unless you pay for an International school, it's ALL Italian. I can tell you so much more about how it all works if you want me to. It's nothing like UK school.