Moving to Rome - Info required

Moving to Rome - Info required

Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:51 pm
TZI
Just Joined

TZI is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Rome - Info required

Dear British Expats,
my family and I will move to Rome next year in April and I would like to ask you useful information in terms of private international schools (any suggestions, experience), area where to live, transportation, comments on quality of life, anything else you think it is useful in the move. This is much appreciated.
Regards,
TZI
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:05 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Rome - Info required

Originally Posted by TZI
Dear British Expats,
my family and I will move to Rome next year in April and I would like to ask you useful information in terms of private international schools (any suggestions, experience), area where to live, transportation, comments on quality of life, anything else you think it is useful in the move. This is much appreciated.
Regards,
TZI
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with anything Rome specific as I've only been there as a tourist. I can advise that you all get dental and eye check ups before leaving, including the children as they are not free here for anybody.
Start stocking up on over the counter, cheap medicines. Nothing like 16p packets of Paracetamol exist here. School supplies are not cheap either so buy bumper packs of pens and pencils and if you're tea drinkers, bring plenty tea-bags with you.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

There are many areas in Rome where expats live and it mainly depends on where where they work.

There is an English community in Casal Paloco, mainly for employees of IFAD/FAO near Southlands School.

Some prefer the gated compound Olgiata which is near St Georges School on the Casia, Trevignano Romano on the lake, some are all over Rome( Eur, Parioli or Trastevere) and some like us are outside Rome in the green hills but with good quality of life and good links to the city.

I think you need to choose the school first and then think where to live. There are many international schools, some follow the English Baccalaureate curriculum, others like St. Stephen's school follow the American education.

Rome is a great city architecturally and culturally, but like many big cities it has a fare share of problems.Lack of parking, crazy drivers, rubbish, transport strikes, problems with buses, etc.

You can PM me if you want specific information. How old are your children?
Old Dec 21st 2016, 4:49 am
TZI
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with anything Rome specific as I've only been there as a tourist. I can advise that you all get dental and eye check ups before leaving, including the children as they are not free here for anybody.
Start stocking up on over the counter, cheap medicines. Nothing like 16p packets of Paracetamol exist here. School supplies are not cheap either so buy bumper packs of pens and pencils and if you're tea drinkers, bring plenty tea-bags with you.
Hi Lorna,
Thanks for your reply. Very useful suggestions, especially for medicine. I heard that you cannot find anything for less than 10 euros in a pharmacy or something like that.
Thanks again and best wishes.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 4:56 am
TZI
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Isakat
There are many areas in Rome where expats live and it mainly depends on where where they work.

There is an English community in Casal Paloco, mainly for employees of IFAD/FAO near Southlands School.

Some prefer the gated compound Olgiata which is near St Georges School on the Casia, Trevignano Romano on the lake, some are all over Rome( Eur, Parioli or Trastevere) and some like us are outside Rome in the green hills but with good quality of life and good links to the city.

I think you need to choose the school first and then think where to live. There are many international schools, some follow the English Baccalaureate curriculum, others like St. Stephen's school follow the American education.

Rome is a great city architecturally and culturally, but like many big cities it has a fare share of problems.Lack of parking, crazy drivers, rubbish, transport strikes, problems with buses, etc.

You can PM me if you want specific information. How old are your children?
Thank you so much Isakat. I will PM you later for information. Appreciated.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Bubblevoov is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there isakat. Im new to this site so not sure how to private message you. We are thinking of moving to rome . Can you advise me please on a few things
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubblevoov
Hi there isakat. Im new to this site so not sure how to private message you. We are thinking of moving to rome . Can you advise me please on a few things
Hello and welcome.
You won't be able to private message anybody until you have made at least three posts. This is to stop scammers signing up to the site and sending private messages to all and sundry.

If you have any general questions related to living in Italy, it might be a good idea to throw them out there and see what help and advice all the other members can give you.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

If you have any general questions related to living in Italy, it might be a good idea to throw them out there and see what help and advice all the other members can give you.
And even if the question doesn't have immediate relevance for others on the forum, the answers are often of interest.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Bubblevoov,

I am happy to provide information on the forum. Just let us know what would you like to know.

I have offered the previous poster to send them more information via a PM that might be more personal relating to our circumstances.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Isakat
Welcome Bubblevoov,

I am happy to provide information on the forum. Just let us know what would you like to know.

I have offered the previous poster to send them more information via a PM that might be more personal relating to our circumstances.
Just wizzing around BE and spotted this.

That's so kind Isakat. when we post our help , care and share to the open forums , it not only helps those asking the questions but also those to shy to post.

Just perhaps have a little caution with private and personal messages as this being the big wide internet world, you cannot exactly be sure of who you are talking with until they make themselves more known as it were. A bit like not blabbing out all your personal family details to a complete stranger in the street.

Bubblevoov
hi there and welcome to the wonderful world of the Italy forum.
Perhaps do a little bit of an intro and then let the lovely people of the Italy forum what's on your mind.
They'll all pile in and help.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just wizzing around BE and spotted this.

That's so kind Isakat. when we post our help , care and share to the open forums , it not only helps those asking the questions but also those to shy to post.

Just perhaps have a little caution with private and personal messages as this being the big wide internet world, you cannot exactly be sure of who you are talking with until they make themselves more known as it were. A bit like not blabbing out all your personal family details to a complete stranger in the street.

hi there and welcome to the wonderful world of the Italy forum.
Perhaps do a little bit of an intro and then let the lovely people of the Italy forum what's on your mind.
They'll all pile in and help.

Thank you for your concern Bevs.

I do not blabb my personal family details in private messages, but maybe offer information that I do not want to share to the whole world on a forum.

If my personal messages of support break the forum rules, I am out of it.

Last edited by Isakat; Jan 27th 2017 at 9:40 am.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

duplicate
Old Jan 27th 2017, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

That would be a great shame Isakat as having 1,622 post you must have contributed a lot here. Sure the post is with the best intension of getting everyone to share whatever (open) information they can. I've not been here too long, but found it to be a very useful place, not one where you would want to lose good members...
Old Jul 13th 2017, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

elisa75it is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Rome - Info required

Dear all, I have just signed up to British expats.com, I struggle to find any information n a school called Southlands. I know it exists and that there is a British community living in the area, but I would like more information on the school, have any of your children been there, your thoughts on it and anything you can share. My daughter is 7 and will go in to year 3, we are relocating in January 2018. Thank you! Elisa