Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to a new Comune

Moving to a new Comune

Old Aug 17th 2021, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

dreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the rough
Question Moving to a new Comune

Dear All
We are considering moving to a new area, but of course staying in beautiful Italy. If we do leave e.g. our Comune but stay in Abruzzo do we need to reapply for residency and a new Tessera Sanitaria etc? Secondly, if we moved out of Abruzzo would the answer change?
Old Aug 17th 2021, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to a new Comune

If you move comune you have to inform the old and the new comune. The tessera sanitaria is based on the region.
This article explains a few things about moving regarding health services. Regions have different rules about enrollment into the health service.
https://www.laleggepertutti.it/22758...ambiare-medico
Old Aug 18th 2021, 5:46 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamo
Dear All
We are considering moving to a new area, but of course staying in beautiful Italy. If we do leave e.g. our Comune but stay in Abruzzo do we need to reapply for residency and a new Tessera Sanitaria etc? Secondly, if we moved out of Abruzzo would the answer change?
You don't need to reapply for residency - just transfer it. You need something to prove your new address to the new comune, like you've bought a house there or you have a rental contract.
Be aware of something though that caught me out. When I cancelled residency in my old comune, I went to the ufficio anagrafe and just told them I had moved to Piovene Rocchette. I thought this would automatically cancel everything in my old comune building. It didn't. Something like 8 months later I received the tax rubbish bills from both the old and the new comune. Apparently it was my job to inform the other offices there too that I had moved. An Italian friend of mine was caught out the same way too. It was 20 years ago but not everything has moved on here so it might still be the same.
I asked my new comune for a new Carta D'Identità because obviously my address had changed and they told me not to bother until the one I had, expired. That might be different now
Old Aug 18th 2021, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

dreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by philat98
If you move comune you have to inform the old and the new comune. The tessera sanitaria is based on the region.
This article explains a few things about moving regarding health services. Regions have different rules about enrollment into the health service.
https://www.laleggepertutti.it/22758...ambiare-medico
Thank you, I need to read it all properly but it’s great that (assuming its practical from a distance perspective) we might be able to keep our existing dottor.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
You don't need to reapply for residency - just transfer it. You need something to prove your new address to the new comune, like you've bought a house there or you have a rental contract.
Be aware of something though that caught me out. When I cancelled residency in my old comune, I went to the ufficio anagrafe and just told them I had moved to Piovene Rocchette. I thought this would automatically cancel everything in my old comune building. It didn't. Something like 8 months later I received the tax rubbish bills from both the old and the new comune. Apparently it was my job to inform the other offices there too that I had moved. An Italian friend of mine was caught out the same way too. It was 20 years ago but not everything has moved on here so it might still be the same.
I asked my new comune for a new Carta D'Identità because obviously my address had changed and they told me not to bother until the one I had, expired. That might be different now
Great advice thanks. Did you have to reapply for your Tessera Sanitaria?
Old Aug 19th 2021, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

You need to emigrate from one comune to another as well as terminate your TARI and water contracts with your effective date of 'emigration' It may be that the offices are still not open to the public so send PECs to both with water meter readings and that will legally terminate your contracts even if the comune doesnt bother reading it.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
You need to emigrate from one comune to another as well as terminate your TARI and water contracts with your effective date of 'emigration' It may be that the offices are still not open to the public so send PECs to both with water meter readings and that will legally terminate your contracts even if the comune doesnt bother reading it.
Thank you, I’ve started making a list. Good reminder, I need to set up a PEC account…..
Old Aug 20th 2021, 8:54 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamo
Great advice thanks. Did you have to reapply for your Tessera Sanitaria?
No because that's not connected to the comune but to the ULSS office and I didn't move to another region. I don't remember doing anything about it.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving to a new Comune

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
No because that's not connected to the comune but to the ULSS office and I didn't move to another region. I don't remember doing anything about it.
Ok thanks Lorna, I did read somewhere that one just needs to change the address, even if moving to another region ….. it feels logical but far to simple!