British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Moving to Milano post Brexit - help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/moving-milano-post-brexit-help-please-936339/)

Altsel Jan 1st 2021 6:46 pm

Moving to Milano post Brexit - help please

My Daughter , who is a British national, wishes to soon move to Italy and live with her long term boyfriend who lives and works in Milan. Given the change to rules applying to movement of people between the UK and EU this past weekend is anybody able to point us towards information that might help them get together soon in Italy please? The 90days in 180 wont help as she hope to get a full time job and ultimately seek citizenship.

many thanks

tpw21 Jan 1st 2021 7:34 pm

Re: Moving to Milano post Brexit - help please

Originally Posted by Altsel (Post 12952459)
My Daughter , who is a British national, wishes to soon move to Italy and live with her long term boyfriend who lives and works in Milan. Given the change to rules applying to movement of people between the UK and EU this past weekend is anybody able to point us towards information that might help them get together soon in Italy please? The 90days in 180 wont help as she hope to get a full time job and ultimately seek citizenship.

many thanks

Living and working here won’t be easy, has she got special/in demand skills? Her best bet would probably to marry her partner and apply for citizenship that way.

modicasa Jan 2nd 2021 7:23 am

She would have to come on holiday I suppose, find a job and then apply for a Permesso di Soggiorno on the basis on her job (with contract). She can only stay for a maximum of 90 days, 'on holiday'. Alternatively shehas to get a job before she comes, and then arrive and apply for her PdS within 8 days of arrival. Its all going to be a mess for a while.

Gbinitaly Jan 2nd 2021 8:29 am

I agree it will be a bit messy with bureaucracy, but nobody ever gets deported from Italy in reality, so if she really wants to do it she’ll find a way.

Listen Very Carefully Jan 2nd 2021 3:10 pm

GB in Italy
I personally think that your advice is not accurate and could land the girl in hot water
If she wants to come and live with her boyfriend (is he an italian national ?) then she has to apply for a visa to stay more than 90 days and show how she can support herself As a UK national she has no right to work in Italy unless she already has a job or business lined up eg she cannot rock up and start looking for a job and she needs to show how she will support herself and where she is living See the link
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/italy-visa/uk

Gbinitaly Jan 2nd 2021 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully (Post 12952732)
GB in Italy
I personally think that your advice is not accurate and could land the girl in hot water
If she wants to come and live with her boyfriend (is he an italian national ?) then she has to apply for a visa to stay more than 90 days and show how she can support herself As a UK national she has no right to work in Italy unless she already has a job or business lined up eg she cannot rock up and start looking for a job and she needs to show how she will support herself and where she is living See the link

I didn’t give any particular advice, I just agreed with an earlier post that there is a lot of bureaucracy to deal with, but I added that in this country (luckily) there isn’t a border force system trying to deport you at the first error in your application.
Otherwise you wouldn’t explain how there are 15% immigrants out of the total population in a country that never had an Empire and worldwide colonies.

modicasa Jan 3rd 2021 7:06 am

There are 5 million immigrants in Italy out of a population of 60 million so thats 8%. These include all immigrants, Uk and US nationals who choose to live here for example, as well as Permesso di Soggiorno holders. It is the border force which will stamp your passport as you enter and leave Italy, as UK visitors will now be in the Non-EU queues at the airports. Outstay your visa and you may well get a visit from the police, as happened to 2 US clients of mine who were deported.

tooboocoo Jan 3rd 2021 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully (Post 12952732)
GB in Italy

The very first line of your linked article reads "Any UK citizen ... can travel to Italy visa-free." - so why did you provide this lengthy link all about Schengen visas? Confused, perhaps?

As for "she cannot rock up and start looking for a job" - why on Earth not? She can enter Italy, no questions asked, on the strength of her British passport and then has 90 days to either find/secure a job which qualifies for PdS status, or enrol for a course of study, or find some other legal way to stay beyond the 90 days - there are no doubt several more, like marriage, as GBinItaly has pointed out.

So to the OP: your daughter can get together with her true love just as soon as she can get a flight to Milan. I'm not 100% up-to-date on the latest C-19 restrictions.

Listen Very Carefully Jan 3rd 2021 10:38 am

Oh dear some people are still not getting it are they? A Uk citizen can enter the Schengen area and remain for 90 days without a visa As modicasa has said the passport will be stamped on arrival and the individual will have to leave within the 90 day period During this time they cannot work or look for work unless on the black which will of course cause her even further problems She will be unable to apply for a Permesso di Soggiorno .The Eu are developing a computerised system to assist in the monitoring of 90 day entrants of all nationalities so if she wants to stay with her boyfriend then she needs to apply for a Visa which has to be done in the UK She cannot apply for a Visa to work because she does not have a job lined up in Italy and in fact EU law states that unless the non EU citizen has specific talents or skills then an EU citizen must be given the job offer first If she is desperate to be with her boyfriend then she can apply for a long term visitor visa but again no work allowed An alternative is to set up her own company and move but of course that is easier said than done As we do not know what skills abilities she has we can only generalise and we do not know if the boyfriend is an Italian national..Surely the last thing anyone wants is for the poor girl to be "controllato" on a train or stop check and to be detained and deported ?So the yes the days of a Brit rocking up in Italy and job hunting/ living outside of the system are over You have to get your documentation spot on and live within the rules