Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Italy- Car UK reg or Italian?

Moving to Italy- Car UK reg or Italian?

Old Apr 5th 2014, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

St Georges Day Child is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Italy- Car UK reg or Italian?

Hi,

Me and my partner are moving to Italy in June for two years and will be needing to have a car and a motorbike out with us. Buying out in Italy looks a faf so we are thinking of buying a LHD car in the UK and driving it out there with all of our stuff.

Just not sure about insurance and registration, was either thinking of registering it to the UK and getting long term EU insurance (if that exists) or trying to register it to Italy and get Italian insurance.

As far as the motorbike is concerned, we will drive it out there but not sure on the reg or insurance again.

If anyone has any knowledge to impart i'd be very grateful. x
Old Apr 5th 2014, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Italy- Car UK reg or Italian?

Originally Posted by St Georges Day Child
Hi,

Me and my partner are moving to Italy in June for two years and will be needing to have a car and a motorbike out with us. Buying out in Italy looks a faf so we are thinking of buying a LHD car in the UK and driving it out there with all of our stuff.

Just not sure about insurance and registration, was either thinking of registering it to the UK and getting long term EU insurance (if that exists) or trying to register it to Italy and get Italian insurance.

As far as the motorbike is concerned, we will drive it out there but not sure on the reg or insurance again.

If anyone has any knowledge to impart i'd be very grateful. x
If you have a Uk registered car and a UK address you can insure via saga who have unlimited cover in the EU a lot of insurers have limited cover 60 0r 90 days. I think it will cost around 1k or so to register a car here plus Italian insurance will be very costly. Some people on here will be able to give you exact costings
Old Apr 5th 2014, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

St Georges Day Child is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=mikethomo;11205983] insure via saga who have unlimited cover

That would have been great but i'm only 27 and I think they only offer for the over 50's

But thanks
Old Apr 5th 2014, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=St Georges Day Child;11205988]
Originally Posted by mikethomo
insure via saga who have unlimited cover

That would have been great but i'm only 27 and I think they only offer for the over 50's

But thanks
family member over 50? Not sure if you could get away with that though.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=St Georges Day Child;11205988]
Originally Posted by mikethomo
insure via saga who have unlimited cover

But thanks
When my daughter came out 8 years ago she did insure her car in the uk for a couple of years just can't remember the company but it was unlimited cover. a lot of commercial insurance if you had a van is unlimited abroad just a thought
Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

If you have UK insurance it is valid continuously for 3rd party legal cover. It is more difficult getting fully comp and is it worth it?

With a UK car the endless roadblocks and the demand for documenti is less likely to be a problem. (unless they know you locally)
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardi
If you have UK insurance it is valid continuously for 3rd party legal cover. It is more difficult getting fully comp and is it worth it?

With a UK car the endless roadblocks and the demand for documenti is less likely to be a problem. (unless they know you locally)
Would you expand on that ? I haven't seen much of that around here.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlander1
Would you expand on that ? I haven't seen much of that around here.
normaly the cops don't stop English cars to much paper work but I think as Italy is short of money they now do anthing to make a bob
Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:58 pm
Banned

NEWCOMO is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same position but I am now resident. In Italy, the car is covered I am told, not the person and since buying a UK LHD car is possible, there is still tax to move it onto Italian Plates around 600 Euros. I have looked at it, and it seems easier to get residency, then the car and insure it locally... Seems this is similar in most countries... as you have 6 months to transfer the car across but the tax/admin costs are cheaper to buy local then replate.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,we are old farts and living here with uk car insured with saga, but for 2 years only there is a firm called stuart collins.com,we did enquire with them before we drove over last year and found them quite expensive but for you guys could be worth it,cheers brian.