Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Italy - but no Italian?

Moving to Italy - but no Italian?

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

mattrws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Italy - but no Italian?

The company where I work has offered me a six month secondment in Verona. It is an international company and we communicate in English so workwise the language barrier wouldn't be a problem.
The problem is everything else as I don't know any Italian. The company would pay a week in a hotel, but I would have to find my own accommodation.
Is it realistic to go without Italian? Do the Italians speak good English, or should I take an Italian course first, and delay it for a year or so?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Italy - but no Italian?

Italians are a disaster at English proficiency. And in Verona, the other linguistic barrier that you will find is that they don't even speak Italia, but their own dialect, as everywhere else in Veneto, the Verona region.

I am from Tuscany and I don't pick up a word of their dialect - Glaswegian dialect poses less challenges to me :-))

But usually people are kind and they will do as much as possible to help you. Even if Italy is not friendly for other languages (You will not find many bilingual signs or explanations, movies are dubbed in Italian, even public offices and web sites often don't have double language documents...), people don't expect that you know Italian and they will try to help you.

So don't be afraid. Verona is a very beautiful town :-)) Learn some basic survival sentences and come!!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

VEROVITA is an unknown quantity at this point

But usually people are kind and they will do as much as possible to help you. ... people don't expect that you know Italian and they will try to help you.

So don't be afraid. ... Learn some basic survival sentences and come!![/QUOTE]

I agree completely... dont put it off just because of the language - just make sure you pack your sense of humour and some humility. Learn a few sentences and for the rest ... its all in the eyes and hands ...
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree completely... its all in the eyes and hands ...[/QUOTE]

about Italian, Italians and body language.....
take 5 minutes and enjoy this video!!!
(when I think of the reputation that we have abroad, sometimes I feel ashamed for my people) :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlVd9YTIjrY
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:24 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattrws
The company where I work has offered me a six month secondment in Verona. It is an international company and we communicate in English so workwise the language barrier wouldn't be a problem.
The problem is everything else as I don't know any Italian. The company would pay a week in a hotel, but I would have to find my own accommodation.
Is it realistic to go without Italian? Do the Italians speak good English, or should I take an Italian course first, and delay it for a year or so?
I'm in Verona. The younger generation usually have enough English to help out. And I'm puzzled as to why Primula finds the dialect hard, but I think it's an Italian thing because OH is 100% piemontese and can't understand it either, leaving me to deal with workmen. I'm sure your Italian workmates will pitch in and help with the flat hunting. Some might even have one going.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:49 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattrws
Chuck yourself in at the deep end. At least you'll already have a job when you get here and that will keep you busy all day. If you like it, great. If you don't you can always go back, but at least you won't be sitting at home humming and ahhing about it. I came here with only 3 Italian words and you should hear me now ..... perhaps not when I'm arguing though
Old Apr 26th 2014, 9:13 am
Just Joined

airbornepara is an unknown quantity at this point

lucky you lol
Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Just go for it. You will be in a beautiful part of Italy. Put some Michel Thomas courses on an mp3 player and you will soon get some language skills.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysider
A brave heartfelt post primularossa.

As someone who has been following Italy for a long time, and whose opinions have shifted with age, a lot of it rang very true indeed, though I'd defend Italy on some small points.

Not sure if I should write more as I may take the thread off topic - should it be restarted under a separate thread? Views of mods? Other forum users?
Do you folks want me to split this thread then so that you can carry on the Italy/Italians/UK/Brits discussion? It sounds like it could be an ongoing conversation................ and if you don't like it, you can always go home of course - joke And if I split it, what title do you think the new thread should have?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:59 am

Right - second attempt and I think I've done it. New thread is:

Italy ... for better or for worse. The good, bad and the ugly, pros & cons. Feel free to say what you want about the place in there.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

good call Lorna - good to know that the forum allows such adult things.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by sunnysider
good call Lorna - good to know that the forum allows such adult things.
Well, we all have many opinions about living in Italy, good, bad and ugly ones. Now you have a place to say what you think about the place as long as you follow all the same site rules, and I know you will. I might refrain from posting on that thread just yet as I often have far too much to say about this place we live. Perhaps I should make an effort to say one nice thing a day for a week ........... but some bullshit or other will probably crop up during the week