Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Originally Posted by Petra R
That "German thing" has ALWAYS been a pain. If I could divorce my country of birth I happily would.....

The main reason why I am not in Germany is because I share the Italian dislike for the Germans as a whole. I can handle the odd individual one, but en mass I find them quite unbearable....
That's quite sad

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Unless it's for official paperwork, just avoid giving people your surname.

After 12 years in this village I bet only one or two people know mine. It's Irish and begins with a K and ends in a Y - both letters that are not in the Italian alphabet and it has another 7 letters in the middle.
If I have to leave a name at the photgraphers, the dry cleaners, the shop, a table booking etc. I just tell them to put Lorna or Inglese.

When it comes to the kids and all their stuff, it's either their own surname or "I am the mamma of Chloe ***** or Alex ******.
I bet their teachers don't have a clue as to what my surname is.
Well with a name like Kufghrcvy I'm hardly surprised!

Of course in Italy there is lots of "offical paperwork" and official-ness so it'll be damn hard not to give it.
Anyway when I'm ordering pizzas and non-official stuff I usually give OH's
surname.

My surname's not difficult and not uncommon but has a non-phonetic pronounciation (as most) and grates just a tad when they pronounce it phonetically.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:44 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Even the nurse once gave up on my surname when I was waiting to be called for my turn.

She did make several attempts - even Italianising it phonetically.

In the end she just said,

"Signorina K, K, Ke - uffa - Abbiamo Lorna qui?"

Once she got me inside the room she did apologise and asked me how it is pronounced.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Even the nurse once gave up on my surname when I was waiting to be called for my turn.

She did make several attempts - even Italianising it phonetically.

In the end she just said,

"Signorina K, K, Ke - uffa - Abbiamo Lorna qui?"

Once she got me inside the room she did apologise and asked me how it is pronounced.
Not to mention having two "christian names"....
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:56 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Not to mention having two "christian names"....
Middle name is Jane.

Comes out backwards on official things.

K*******Y Lorna Jane.

Have had a few people looking for Yaney. Quite a few phone maniacs as well heavy breathing for Jane or Yaney - until Telecom finally gave us the option of being ex-directory.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to drop in late in the conversation but......

met Prince Phillip

in the Royal Navy the same time as Charles Wales
(never met him but did have an old lady come up to me and ask if I knew her son who had a uniform just like mine!! I don't think it was his granny!!)

have 2 middle names, so rarely used I even forget they are there, but put them on my doctor's registration as DWP did for my S1
so sat outside the doctors surgery for 20mins, people coming and going, didnt know he was calling me as he used the 2 middle names, reversed.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

blackbetty will think you are all insane!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Us...nooooooooo
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I think I am myself sometimes.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

I think I am myself sometimes.
I am definitely.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petra R
That "German thing" has ALWAYS been a pain. If I could divorce my country of birth I happily would.....

The main reason why I am not in Germany is because I share the Italian dislike for the Germans as a whole. I can handle the odd individual one, but en mass I find them quite unbearable....
That's interesting. I was born and raised in Italy, and my feelings are similar to yours in reverse. I find Italians mostly unbearable as a whole, and would never live in Italy. However, I am rather fond of Germany (especially the northern part).
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

cuti is on a distinguished road

If I pass my experience, I still regret what I have done about 2 years ago. My openion base on my experience is, make sure you know his family at least for some stage before start to live with them at least having a holiday about a week with them. My in-laws are trying to controll (especially father-in-low) every single thing as they want. apparently he does.

Last edited by cuti; Jul 28th 2012 at 2:31 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:46 pm
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

YES.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Engliano

YES.
I think we all more or less agree on that. But I thought you'd done quite well out of it Engli?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:34 pm
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkRD
I think we all more or less agree on that. But I thought you'd done quite well out of it Engli?
Yes, i think my personal inlaws are just great but theres no way in hell would i live with them

Infact theres no way i would live with anyone long term except my missus. Recently in Puglia we shared a house with some in-laws, I loved the place but HATED the accommodation arrangements, I like my privacy !