Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:54 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving in with fiancé's Italian Family - am i crazy?!

Originally Posted by Petra R
I did My horse beat her horse at the Royal Cornwall Show in .... 2000 I think it was? 2001? Can't remember.
It's not the meeting her. It's knowing everything about her. So brush up on your knowledge of all her horses past, present and future. You've met her, so you MUST know.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
It's not the meeting her. It's knowing everything about her. So brush up on your knowledge of all her horses past, present and future. You've met her, so you MUST know.
Yes .. you gave her THE STARE (is that the other thread?) and you will have to rember exactly what she was wearing and what she said .. and of course golden rule, always EXAGGERATE everything!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I have a photo of myself with Prince Charles but Principe Carlo doesn't get you as many kudos as the Queen.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Petra R is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Oh that will def come in handy during conversations, plus being in Cornovaglia is a bonus for folklore-ish value
I only went there (Cornwall) once, well, twice - two days running. Went, beat the Queen, headed out again.

I did fall off a horse 100 yards away from Prince Andrew in Windsor Great Park once (I had a permit to ride in there, which could be aquired for a bit of money and a promise not to mow down the royal wildlife) , when another one of my horses was attacked by one of the Queen's deer. And I ran over several Royal Pheasants.... Does that count?

I found the Italians seemed to like me better when they thought I was British than when they found out I'm actually a tedesca.....
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I found the Italians seemed to like me better when they thought I was British than when they found out I'm actually a tedesca.....
Oh absoloutely .. I think you should stick to the British identity as much as you can. Italians have a contempt for Germans.

I only went there (Cornwall) once, well, twice - two days running. Went, beat the Queen, headed out again.
well, you've got lots of potential material but never say you were there just for a short time .. like I said you have to exaggerate . .tell them you were invited to a dinner party with HM..although careful because you're in food territory . not good..

I did fall off a horse 100 yards away from Prince Andrew in Windsor Great Park once (I had a permit to ride in there, which could be aquired for a bit of money and a promise not to mow down the royal wildlife) , when another one of my horses was attacked by one of the Queen's deer. And I ran over several Royal Pheasants.... Does that count?
NO NO NO! you were *invited* by Prince Andrea and you went round the estate with him on your respective horses . .then you went back to the huge stately home for tea and sandwiches ..
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I have a photo of myself with Prince Charles but Principe Carlo doesn't get you as many kudos as the Queen.
No Camilla?? mmmmmm

"Lady Di" would've been extra points tho.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:23 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh, so much scope here. You didn't run over the pheasants. You were on a kill! And you went on a deer hunt. Doesn't matter if the deer was hunting you!

Italians query me when I say, 'no I'm not Tedesca, I'm Inglese'. They only cheer up when I'm say I'm Londonese. And that opens a whole new bag of worms........
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ohhh, so much scope here. You didn't run over the pheasants. You were on a kill! And you went on a deer hunt. Doesn't matter if the deer was hunting you!

Italians query me when I say, 'no I'm not Tedesca, I'm Inglese'. They only cheer up when I'm say I'm Londonese. And that opens a whole new bag of worms........
Are you really Londinese? . .know any excellent cheap hotels?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:25 pm
Concierge

No Camilla?? mmmmmm

"Lady Di" would've been extra points tho.
No, no never admit to meeting Lady Di. They'll want to know their marriage details. All of them!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:26 pm
Concierge

Are you really Londinese? . .know any excellent cheap hotels?
Depends where the boudary stops. Essex.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Depends where the boudary stops. Essex.
Oh that'll do ..

How far is it from Gat-wich airport to Trafalgar Square?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Guys, you crack me up.... Maybe I should revert to my married name....

My German surname complete with it's Umlaut is hard to disguise as British. Or marry an Italian. That would do the trick, I guess.... I could say I'm a Brit who married an Italian.

And I will embellish my Royal connections (such as they were, pheasants and all) and milk them for all they're worth.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guys, you crack me up.... Maybe I should revert to my married name....
mmm. tricky one that .. Italian women do keep their maiden name, and are quite proud of this fact although will use the husbands name when 'convenient' or referring to the family..

You could always say you're altoatesina .. but again, tricky.. that German thing is gonna be a pain.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

You could always say you're altoatesina .. but again, tricky.. that German thing is gonna be a pain.
That "German thing" has ALWAYS been a pain. If I could divorce my country of birth I happily would.....

The main reason why I am not in Germany is because I share the Italian dislike for the Germans as a whole. I can handle the odd individual one, but en mass I find them quite unbearable....

I don't SOUND German and certainly don't look like Heidi..... hmmmmmm... must think of something
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:26 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

That "German thing" has ALWAYS been a pain. If I could divorce my country of birth I happily would.....

The main reason why I am not in Germany is because I share the Italian dislike for the Germans as a whole. I can handle the odd individual one, but en mass I find them quite unbearable....

I don't SOUND German and certainly don't look like Heidi..... hmmmmmm... must think of something
Unless it's for official paperwork, just avoid giving people your surname.

After 12 years in this village I bet only one or two people know mine. It's Irish and begins with a K and ends in a Y - both letters that are not in the Italian alphabet and it has another 7 letters in the middle.
If I have to leave a name at the photgraphers, the dry cleaners, the shop, a table booking etc. I just tell them to put Lorna or Inglese.

When it comes to the kids and all their stuff, it's either their own surname or "I am the mamma of Chloe ***** or Alex ******.
I bet their teachers don't have a clue as to what my surname is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.