Moving costs

Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

raymondodeblanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving costs

Hi
Does anyone know how much it costs to ship a container from England (the southeast) to Puglia say Brindisi. Or how much it would cost by road for a company to do it rather than ourselves. Just a really rough idea as we are not sure how much we will be bringing. Any names of companies would also be appreciated. So much to think of!!!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving costs

Try contacting ET Brokers (www.etbrokers-removals.com) as they contact removal companies across the UK to get quotes for you depending on what type of service you want. Saves a lot of calling about yourself! Otherwise I would suggest just hitting the Yellow Pages and looking for ads that say they do European removals and get a few quotes.

Carrie
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

BTW, our removals last year cost around £3000 for a dedicated vehicle from Yorkshire to Northern Italy for a whole household move (think it was around 38m3) if it helps you to get a rough idea. That included them loading and unloading the vehicle. Would have been a lot more with one of the large nationwide removal companies - had some mad quotes from them!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

raymondodeblanc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for the info. Will try the brokers once we get a sale on our bungalow. We do not intend to bring furniture, just personal things and maybe household stuff.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:41 pm
ann-marie

annmarielucy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
we paid for two containers to be brought over here by a local removal company from our home country and found out on delivery that they had paid someone else to to the move!
The company who actually delivered:- www.bishopsmove.net were fantastic though. They deliver to Italy every week and you can also opt for the package where your goods are brought over as a groupage. They specify the date within a time frame and deliver your goods along with everyone elses containers-it works out much cheaper.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Lindab-r is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

To those of you who have gone through the whole removals thing, could you please say which things you are glad you brought with you and why, and which things you feel you could have easily left behind and got in Italy more easily and cheaply etc. What are the "must bring with me" items in your opinions?

Cheers, Lindab-r
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:50 pm
ann-marie

annmarielucy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I would say we didn't bring enough! We sold all our electrical stuff which I wish we had brought with us as the vacuum cleaners,microwaves,kettles and toasters over here we found more expensive to buy.Apart from ikea the bedding like duvets and covers etc are also more expensive. I wish I'd brought a stack of birthday cards etc as there is not much choice here. If I think of anything else or you ant to ask about anything specific please let me know.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Lindab-r is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Anna Maria, this is a good start for my "to bring" list. Does anyone else have anything else to add here?

Cheers, Lindab-r
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

If you have any lamps you are bringing with bayonet fitting bulbs then bring some spares as I have only ever seen screw in type ones here.

Birthday cards are a good one - I usually stock up when hubby goes back to the UK for business.

As far as food stuff goes it would depend on what you were used to. For example, you cannot buy fruit squash here (not proper stuff anyway), instant yeast (a must for my breadmaker!), and being vegan I get family to bring over a couple of bars of dairy free chocolate when they visit!

If you like reading then stock up on some cheap English language books while you can.

As the IVA (equivalent of VAT) is 20% here it is a good idea to bring your electrical goods with you if possible, as they can be a bit dearer here.

We are now a year on and have managed to wean ourselves of most things British and switch to Italian things, but it really will depend on how you live now as to what you would not be able to live without here