Reload this Page >

Moving To Bergamo

Moving To Bergamo

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:44 am
Just Joined

LCFC1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Bergamo

Afternoon All,

I am new to the forum so apologies if any of these questions have been asked before but here goes...

In the next 2 months me and my partner are moving to Bergamo due to his job. At the time of moving over I will be classed as unemployed and was wondering how i would get the residency permit.

We arent married so I was wondering how the family permit works in this instance.

Any advice around this would be greatly received and also around getting in a job in the area. I currently dont speak Italian and I am willing to do anything at all to get up and running..

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:06 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To Bergamo

Hello and welcome. Will your partner be employed by an Italian company and therefore automatically paying Italian taxes and health care contributions?
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hello and welcome. Will your partner be employed by an Italian company and therefore automatically paying Italian taxes and health care contributions?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. He is a captain for an airline company that shall remain nameless but as far as i know they insist he pays tax etc in Ireland.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LCFC1986
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. He is a captain for an airline company that shall remain nameless but as far as i know they insist he pays tax etc in Ireland.
Right well that changes my answer a bit then (and Ireland says it all really )

To get residency you need to provide proof of funds, (his wage slips and or bank statements should cover that) and you'll need private health insurance too and a rental contract to prove you have a home. You have to take your paperwork and passports to the offically called Municipio but much more commonly known as the "comune". This is the town hall/council building and you need to register in the ofice called the "ufficio anagrafe".

Each town hall can differ slightly in their requests and some people in these places are unhelpful jobsworths so don't be put off if at first you don't succeed.

You can both register residency at the same address. Tell them that you are "convivente" which means kind of like common law partners but doesn't grant you nearly as many benefits or rights.

I'm presuming that you are both EU citizens and one of you isn't American or something?

I am not sure how the tax thing works out if he'll be living here full time but can't he ask any other pilots what they do?

I can check the Bergamo town hall website later to see if they have a specific section on registering "foreigners".
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Right well that changes my answer a bit then (and Ireland says it all really )

To get residency you need to provide proof of funds, (his wage slips and or bank statements should cover that) and you'll need private health insurance too and a rental contract to prove you have a home. You have to take your paperwork and passports to the offically called Municipio but much more commonly known as the "comune". This is the town hall/council building and you need to register in the ofice called the "ufficio anagrafe".

Each town hall can differ slightly in their requests and some people in these places are unhelpful jobsworths so don't be put off if at first you don't succeed.

You can both register residency at the same address. Tell them that you are "convivente" which means kind of like common law partners but doesn't grant you nearly as many benefits or rights.

I'm presuming that you are both EU citizens and one of you isn't American or something?

I am not sure how the tax thing works out if he'll be living here full time but can't he ask any other pilots what they do?

I can check the Bergamo town hall website later to see if they have a specific section on registering "foreigners".
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Yep we are both from the UK, So in short we need to find a rental property before we can do this.

This has been a big help for me, So stressful trying to go through different snippets of info from different web sites.

Any recommendations for a good website to look for rental properties? So far US.Arcadia (I think thats what its called) has looked about the best.

We may look at properties in Lecco, What is this area like?
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:46 am

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Yep we are both from the UK, So in short we need to find a rental property before we can do this.

This has been a big help for me, So stressful trying to go through different snippets of info from different web sites.

Any recommendations for a good website to look for rental properties? So far US.Arcadia (I think thats what its called) has looked about the best.

No idea what Lecce is like but some Italian websites are Immobiliare.it and tecnocasa.it just to start getting some ideas of styles and prices of rentals.

Don't stress. You're allowed to stay here for 3 months before you're supposed to become official residents.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 12:02 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

If your partner is on secondment, yes taxes are paid in Ireland. Ireland and Italy sort the difference out between them. You'll need the relevent forms from Ireland as proof of health care coverage. Again Italy and Ireland then sort it out between themselves. For residency, you partner will need to sign to say he will maintain you. The town halls around Orio al Serio are probably very used to airline staff requesting residency so hopefully they'll know what they are doing.......or maybe not.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Lecco (not to be confused with Lecce) is quite nice on the lakeside, but not very close to Bergamo airport (where i presume he's going to work) as there are hills between the two cities and only one small trafficated road to go through every day.

If you can afford that look at properties in Bergamo which is a nice city.

If you prefer a town by the hills I think Trescore Balneario and surroundings is the best, it's cheap and there's a new road who take you at the airport in seconds.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice everyone.

He isn't on a secondment so no idea how they work the tax out!

Thanks for the advice on where to live, hopefully we will get somewhere nice in Bergamo itself. We have a couple of dogs so we want a house with a garden which is why we were looking a little further out.

Thanks again and keep any advice coming please, I think il need it!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

homeandgardens will become famous soon enough

Loads of rentals in the outskirts of Bergamo and in town. I suggest you visit and do a little tour to see agencies. What kind of size home are you looking for? I'd say that a small avarage 70-80 sqm apt: living with kitchen+bed+bathroom out of town goes for €400-500/pcm, in town €500-600/pcm. sometimes ground floor comes w. garden. For homes 2 bed and 2 bathrooms + garden, I'd double that.

H&G
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by homeandgardens
Loads of rentals in the outskirts of Bergamo and in town. I suggest you visit and do a little tour to see agencies. What kind of size home are you looking for? I'd say that a small avarage 70-80 sqm apt: living with kitchen+bed+bathroom out of town goes for €400-500/pcm, in town €500-600/pcm. sometimes ground floor comes w. garden. For homes 2 bed and 2 bathrooms + garden, I'd double that.

H&G
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figure we are probably going to be paying about £700-£800 pm.

Do these agencies tend to be open at weekends?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Afternoon All,

We arent married so I was wondering how the family permit works in this instance.

Thanks
Hello All - I'm still lurking.
To the OP, my OH and I aren't married and during our time in Italy the Italian rules changed. AFAIK you, as an unmarried and unemployed partner would NOT be able to get residency and you won't have access to health care. It does somewhat depend on your comune but where we lived there was a huge non Italian population and they got mean. OH was paying his taxes in the UK (also on secondment) and he had to renew his healthcare every year and the children were okay. It was just me that had problems. For a year I had no access to a doctor except for emergencies.
tbh, it might be easier to get hitched!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figure we are probably going to be paying about £700-£800 pm.

Do these agencies tend to be open at weekends?
Yes but usually under appointment, as lot of people request viewings on saturday, so you better book.

If you have dogs i suggest you to move outside the city, easier to find houses with proper gardens, less cars and easy parking.
Val Cavallina is a nice place, close to airport and Lake Iseo.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Hello All - I'm still lurking.
To the OP, my OH and I aren't married and during our time in Italy the Italian rules changed. AFAIK you, as an unmarried and unemployed partner would NOT be able to get residency and you won't have access to health care. It does somewhat depend on your comune but where we lived there was a huge non Italian population and they got mean. OH was paying his taxes in the UK (also on secondment) and he had to renew his healthcare every year and the children were okay. It was just me that had problems. For a year I had no access to a doctor except for emergencies.
tbh, it might be easier to get hitched!
Bergamo via gretna green it is then! ha

Surely as a UK resident when i find a job i would be able to provide proof and allow me to stay for up to 5 years?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Surely as a UK resident when i find a job i would be able to provide proof and allow me to stay for up to 5 years?
Getting a job should sort you out. I never worked so can't help really - good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.