Members in MILAN

Members in MILAN

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

aimankay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Members in MILAN

Originally Posted by RedRebel
Hi Kay
Have you arranged for a place to live yet? If so, what part of Milan will you be living in?

Is it your first time in Italy or do you have some knowledge of the country from holidays?

There are quite a few things you should be made aware of if you are going to stay here in Milan, so keep in touch and I and I am sure others will give you information and assist you at the beginning.

One of the first things I learned was that the streets are cleaned in the early morning and their are signs up in Italian to tell you what time this will be. When I first came 16 years ago I could not read or speak Italian, so of course left my company car parked in the cleaning zone. I woke the next morning with a Multa (Penalty ticket) stuck to my windscreen. I went to the police to explain, but the policeman just smiled and said to me quote "You will not do this again then from now eh" The police do not give any second chances no matter if your explanation is genuine, so remember this.

Living in any new culture is daunting, it has always been this way for me, but exciting too and despite the little things like I have explained, Italy is a wonderful country to live in, I love it. I have made literally hundreds of friends and am about to marry an Italian girl next year after a 15 year courtship LOL.

On your doorstep are the Alps if you ski, Lake Como (Great to go on Sundays), The ligurian coastline is only a few hours drive away and of course Tuscany too is not too far away for a weekend away. The food, the views, the friendliness of the people, the way of life (passeggiata) for example or translated (walk), to meet with friends during happy hour and have an aperitivo and a chat.

Anyway just a few things for you, but you won't regret coming to Italy as long as you go with the flow, adhere to all the little rules and regulations and adapt to the way of life, it is literally a learning curve, but an exciting one.

One other thing to tell you. Traffic signals!! In August and sometimes out of the holiday period, a red light is just an option to an Italian and you will see cars and scooters going through them, be careful and don't follow suite as if caught you could lose your licence and have to take a test again. That's how it works. Be careful anyway if driving in Milan, this can be quite frustrating, especially trying to find a place to park. There are rules for this too and you often need to buy some time tickets from a tabacheria or a man/woman with a satchel selling these scratch tickets on the street.

Welcome to Italy

best wishes
Jamie x

Thanks Jamie,

I don't know yet where I will be living but have identified San Donato, Park Sempione and Milano Due as potential areas. I think our housing allowance is 30000 Euro per year. I don't know if I will find a 3 bedroom (ideally some modern furnished) apartment in those areas.

I have been to Rome and Venice couple of years ago and loved it and feel that my internal wish to come here and live is becoming true. I came across some very helpful people and also can't wait to visit Lake Garda, Como and Pisa, Switzerland, etc.

I quite like the Brit community on this forum who are supportive of each other. I am British but live different cultures and languages. I am sure I will have many questions and challenges but I am open minded about them and will definitely ask for help when needed and would be happy to help other members if they need anything from me.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

RedRebel is an unknown quantity at this point

Parco Sempione is where I had my first apartment and it's pretty good to get around from there as the number 1 tram stops all along Sempione and goes into the city centre.

Milano due is the new housing area built by Burlusconi, it's in the town of Segrate but it is outside Milan centre on the periferia. There are some lovely houses there and it's green in parts with farmland dotted around, but the downside is that doing any shopping there if you need something isn't all that great.

Travel into the city from there is ok as the Metro goes there and the Metro is the best way to get around Milan, it's cheap and quick and not dissimilar to the London Underground.

San Donato is on the Metro line too and easy to get into the city centre from there, it's situated south east of Milan centre.

Housing is expensive in Milan and the closer you get to the centre the prices are higher, most people live in apartments. To give you an example my future broyther in law has just bought a house close to Porta Venetzia and it cost 1.5 million euros with only 4 bedrooms but there is some land with it and it is in a great location. You can get agencies in Milan who will house/apartment hunt for you and send you details and photos before you come over.

When I came to Italy I had to obtain a permesso di soggiorno which is a permit to stay and work in Italy together with a codice fiscale, a tax code specifically for you. I'm not sure now if you need the permission to stay with us being in the EEC now, but your company will know this anyway and perhaps other newbies to Italy will let you know about this.

I have my own Identity card which you get through your local commune, it helps if you come up against the bureaocracy here and it's handy to have when stopped by police on the streets, which you will have to get used to, they just pull you in and check your papers. Remember to always carry your passport and if driving have your driving license with you, which you will have to get converted to an international license. Always have your insurance papers with you too, if you don't have these you will get a Multa as I have already explained and it's around 60 euros or maybe more now, it's a long time since I got one hahahaha Bottom line though is always make sure you have all your papers with you.

It will benefit you too, if you can learn the language, it isn't difficult honestly, but at first it is frustrating not being able to ask for things or say what you want to say in a friendly way to new friends you will meet. It will come in time though, trust me when you start dreaming in Italian and speaking Italian in these dreams, you will know you are getting there.

Finally, when in doubt, ask!! Normally Italian people will help you if you ask them, you just need to explain in basic Italian that you are learning the language and need some help to buy things.

I take it you will be working in the city cente yes?

If I can help you when you come to Italy just drop me a line on here and Ellie my partner and I could always meet up with you at the Duomo (Cathederal) and have a drink and a natter.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:25 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

When I came to Italy I had to obtain a permesso di soggiorno which is a permit to stay and work in Italy together with a codice fiscale, a tax code specifically for you. I'm not sure now if you need the permission to stay with us being in the EEC now, but your company will know this anyway and perhaps other newbies to Italy will let you know about this.

I have my own Identity card which you get through your local commune, it helps if you come up against the bureaocracy here and it's handy to have when stopped by police on the streets, which you will have to get used to, they just pull you in and check your papers. Remember to always carry your passport and if driving have your driving license with you, which you will have to get converted to an international license. Always have your insurance papers with you too, if you don't have these you will get a Multa as I have already explained and it's around 60 euros or maybe more now, it's a long time since I got one hahahaha Bottom line though is always make sure you have all your papers with you.
EU citizens no longer need to get a "permesso di soggiorno" and driving licenses do not need changing either.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Hurray, I have received my codice fiscale for everyone in my family. I am probably flying in few weeks time. Just wondering if anyone knows any good bank especially near San Donato where I would be working. Do these banks have premium accounts which offer international travel insurance, car breakdown cover etc.?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aimankay
Hurray, I have received my codice fiscale for everyone in my family. I am probably flying in few weeks time. Just wondering if anyone knows any good bank especially near San Donato where I would be working. Do these banks have premium accounts which offer international travel insurance, car breakdown cover etc.?
Congratulations you are now an official taxpayer LOL

I am with CheBanca but I have been with others too, however I kept my platignum account with Lloyds bank in England, so that my travel insurance is covered. I've never asked about this benefit with my bank in Italy so am not sure about this, but keeping your english bank open and travel insurance is an option if they don't do this in Italy.

best regards
Jamie
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Congratulations you are now an official taxpayer LOL

I am with CheBanca but I have been with others too, however I kept my platignum account with Lloyds bank in England, so that my travel insurance is covered. I've never asked about this benefit with my bank in Italy so am not sure about this, but keeping your english bank open and travel insurance is an option if they don't do this in Italy.

best regards
Jamie
So come out of one tax country and start paying another one. I thought I might get some respite. :-)

I have been thinking of keeping my RBS Royalties Gold Account but it says that it is for UK Residents only so I assume it won't be valid when I move to Italy. Is yours with Lloyds valid even if you are not a resident in the UK?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

I have homes in both countries, so in a way resident in both if you catch my drift. I just don't tell any bank anything more than I want to tell them