Meeting people

Old Sep 14th 2021, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Smalls mum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meeting people

Having lived in Italy for many years I find myself at a new stage of life and looking for a way to meet some new people. I'm outside the big cities where there's alot more scope for mixing, groups etc (nearest city is Florence) and with kids now doing their own thing the easy places to meet people through school, outside activities etc are gone. Although there are various Meet Up groups within a reasonable distance most seem to be Word Press or Beppe Grillo/5 Star fan clubs which is not really my thing! Most of my local friends are Italian which is great but it would also be nice to widen my horizons and get to know other people with similar-ish backgrounds, experiences etc. Like most areas there's a local expat scene but it can be rather cliquey so not really what I'm looking for. I like to travel, try new things and am pretty independent so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 10:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meeting people

Originally Posted by Smalls mum
Having lived in Italy for many years I find myself at a new stage of life and looking for a way to meet some new people. I'm outside the big cities where there's alot more scope for mixing, groups etc (nearest city is Florence) and with kids now doing their own thing the easy places to meet people through school, outside activities etc are gone. Although there are various Meet Up groups within a reasonable distance most seem to be Word Press or Beppe Grillo/5 Star fan clubs which is not really my thing! Most of my local friends are Italian which is great but it would also be nice to widen my horizons and get to know other people with similar-ish backgrounds, experiences etc. Like most areas there's a local expat scene but it can be rather cliquey so not really what I'm looking for. I like to travel, try new things and am pretty independent so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Hi, you've posted this in The Lounge which is a general chat forum for all members, so I'll move your thread to the Italy forum where will hopefully get some suggestions.

It may be helpful if you could let people know whereabouts you are in Italy/Tuscany?

Good luck.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much, wasn't sure where to post so appreciate the move.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

lilibet will become famous soon enoughlilibet will become famous soon enough

There is a book/drama group in Florence (English speaking) that went virtual during lockdown but believe they now meet up in Florence. Can send you the link if you like.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Hi Lilibet

Thanks for the info, yes a link to the book group would be great.

Many thanks
Old Sep 16th 2021, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

A nearby town to us is just now opening inscription for its Universita per gli Adulti with a its broad range of courses which seem very social, with many people craving the opportunity to start mingling again. My wife teaches one of their English conversation courses. It really depends what might spark some interest.
Having a dog and playing Burraco have been other reasons for getting out an about and meeting people that have contributed my (partial) assimilation.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

If you have hobbies or interests, joining a club is a good way of getting involved in Italian life, Italians love an associazione. When we were in Italy, my wife joined the local choir and had some great experiences, including singing in the stunning Teatro Zandonai in Rovereto (look it up, beautiful building!). I joined a running club & the Cai and met people that way. Whatever your past-time, you will hopefully find that there are plenty of pizza nights, grigliate or gite where you meet & mix with people.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the suggestion. There's actually a similar university about an hour from where I live so I'l check it out. And I do have a dog!
Old Sep 16th 2021, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the suggestion. There's actually a similar university about an hour from where I live so I'l check it out. And I do have a dog!
Hi GeorgeYoung

Yes, I need to explore locals clubs a little more and have a friend involved in the local Caritas. I do have quite alot of Italian friends, it was more that I'd like to meet some English-speaking people so will check groups around Arezzo/ Florence/Perugia.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

lilibet will become famous soon enoughlilibet will become famous soon enough

[9HQUOTE=Smalls mum;13051946]Hi Lilibet

Thanks for the info, yes a link to the book group would be great.

Many thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi there ,
the link to the Drama Club Theatre is <snip> Eleanor organizes it.
Regards

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 17th 2021 at 8:23 am. Reason: Email address removed so it's not picked up by every spambot & weirdo out there - BE is a public forum! Pls PM it instead.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Hi GeorgeYoung

Yes, I need to explore locals clubs a little more and have a friend involved in the local Caritas. I do have quite alot of Italian friends, it was more that I'd like to meet some English-speaking people so will check groups around Arezzo/ Florence/Perugia.
Good point, I missed that part of your original post.

My wife joined a book group with some Italian friends who spoke decent English and who wanted to get better, so they would read English language novels and discuss them. Not exactly what you're looking for, I realise, just an idea.