Reload this Page >

lost uk driving license while living in italy

Wikiposts

lost uk driving license while living in italy

Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

queen_bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: lost uk driving license while living in italy

As far as I understand, to replace a lost or stolen licence, the DVLA requires proof of residency in UK showing an address or addresses over the last 3 years, which I don't have.

At this point, I have resigned myself to making that dreaded visit to the motorizzazione and facing the consequences. God forbid, I'm beginning to feel like some notorious criminal!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi queenbean - I had a similar problem 2 yrs ago. If I were you I wouldnt go to the motorizazione instead go to your ACI office - mine were helpful and they can literally do it all for you. The medical is done by them and then you just hand over all the copies and the money (I think it was about 130 euros)
They simply convert your UK licence to an Italian one. You shouldnt have any problems so dont worry
(unless you are from the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands......long story )
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Hi Patty,

Thanks for your help. Have just returned from local ACI and unfortunately, no joy. They said they couldn't deal with the problem and told me to go to the motorizzazione.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear that queenbean - obviously it depends where we live! Nothing in Italy is straightforward is it ? What works in one comune doesn't work in another. Anyway if you have any problems at the motorizzazione then let us know - it should be a very simple conversion of your licence. Don't let them tell you otherwise
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Hi there again Patty,

Maybe I'm just panicking. Being told that I can't legally drive, and who knows how long for (on the local motorizzazione website it said that 'it could take up to 3 months' !!!). Heaven forbid.

I am also worried that they may make a fuss about the fact that I've been here for 23 years driving round with my UK licence or, and I think possibly worse still, that DVLA will make a fuss about the fact that they were never notified.

This is the first time I've taken part in a forum and I'd like to thank everyone who has tried to help.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

you were under no obligation to inform theDVLA as i said since this year you can use your UK licence until its expiry. If you have never renewed your UK licence and its still valid then as I see it, DVLC have a duty to provide at least the means to convert an Itlaian licence even if you dont have a UK address. Call the helpline and talk to someone, there may be a simple answer.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I was like you and had been driving here for a few years on my UK licence. Unfortunately for me (as I come from the Channel Islands) when the licence expired I had a lot of problems - but that shouldnt be the case for you. All my colleagues who have been here for 15/20 years still drive with their UK licences so as Modicasa says - maybe talk to someone at the DVLA ? My boss also renewed her UK licence and she's been here years. So don't worry - I'm sure things will come out fine in the end - and you can always come on here and have a moan - its very therapeutic
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

This is the update. The motorizzazione told me to contact the British Embassy requesting 'un attestazione di autenicita della patente'. OK.

I contacted the Embassy who then told me that they do not deal with driving licences and to contact the DVLA, which I am finding is extremely difficult.

I will keep trying to find a number and actually talk to someone at the DVLA.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:45 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by queen_bean
This is the update. The motorizzazione told me to contact the British Embassy requesting 'un attestazione di autenicita della patente'. OK.

I contacted the Embassy who then told me that they do not deal with driving licences and to contact the DVLA, which I am finding is extremely difficult.

This is the info that Google throws up - https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla. Can't find any other numbers.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
I was like you and had been driving here for a few years on my UK licence. Unfortunately for me (as I come from the Channel Islands) when the licence expired I had a lot of problems - but that shouldnt be the case for you. All my colleagues who have been here for 15/20 years still drive with their UK licences so as Modicasa says - maybe talk to someone at the DVLA ? My boss also renewed her UK licence and she's been here years. So don't worry - I'm sure things will come out fine in the end - and you can always come on here and have a moan - its very therapeutic
Are your colleagues licences the photolicences?, if so and they haven't renewed them, then they are out of date, if they haven't got photo licences, then they could have problems if they are stopped.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:56 pm
I just like to help

Snapper Bruce will become famous soon enough

There are some numbers here.
https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla
Ciao Bruce.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 11:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snapper Bruce
There are some numbers here.
https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla
Ciao Bruce.
As OS stated two posts earlier..
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Try 01792 782341 (so 00441792 782341 if you're calling from Italy). Explain that you're abroad and their 08xx / 03xx numbers don't work.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Are your colleagues licences the photolicences?, if so and they haven't renewed them, then they are out of date, if they haven't got photo licences, then they could have problems if they are stopped.
I'm not sure Mike - we're all on holiday at the mo and so I'll ask them when we re-start school in September. Although one of them has a vigile hubby
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:00 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Patty
I'm not sure Mike - we're all on holiday at the mo and so I'll ask them when we re-start school in September. Although one of them has a vigile hubby
I only asked because when I was living in Spain and asked the same question on the Spain forum, a huge number of people didn't realise that there was an expiry date on the photo licence, possibly assuming it expired on the same date their paper licence expired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.