Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Lost in Garfagnana

Lost in Garfagnana

Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:57 am
Just Joined

zambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant future
Default Lost in Garfagnana

Hi Almond,
I live in Viareggio - got back yesterday from the snows in England. If you are in this area, feel free to contact me. There is quite a big Brit community in Lucca. Try buying the local magazine Grapevine for expat info on the area. Hope you soon settle in and start enjoying this beautiful area.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:35 am
Just Joined

almond has a spectacular aura aboutalmond has a spectacular aura aboutalmond has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Lost in Garfagnana

Thank you all so much. It helps to talk a bit, and its feels taboo to admit this is not at all what I wanted.
Theres a guilt about building up to this and now not being happy with it.
Thank you x
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:43 am
Just Joined

VirtualOdin is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably not a solution to your immediate issues, but your exploits to access the internet made me think I should pass this on. Try contacting Eutelia about their wide area wireless internet. Here's the link:

http://regionetoscana.eutelia.it/

Their engineers come an put a little box on the outside wall of your house and this communicates wirelessly with an aerial somewhere up the valley. Your computer then connects to a box on the inside either with a LAN cable or wirelessly with a router they can supply (I had my own which they configured). We have had the service since last spring and it works a treat and we are just down the valley from you.

There are a dozen or so different tariffs. We picked the fastest speed, which produces between 5 and 7 MB broadband pretty regularly and includes a phone and 10 hours of free local and national calls a month and is only €20 a month. Skype works pretty well on it too so you can talk to anyone in the world that also has Skype for free. Basically I only pay for calls to mobiles. There is a €150 set-up fee for this tariff, but there are others with lower set-up costs and pay-as-you-go rates.

There is a shop, Stormdrop, in Ghivizzano, that has the kit on display and I think they have the installation concession for the area. In that Italian way, they have been very attentive, technically competent and speak a bit of English. There was a presentation in our village when the service was first set up and we signed up there, but I am pretty sure you can sign up at the shop or on the internet.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by almond
Thank you all so much. It helps to talk a bit, and its feels taboo to admit this is not at all what I wanted.
Thank you x
Almond, I go through phases of love and absolute detestation!! I am not near you at all, but it's early days. The biggest thing for me is the lingo and cultural differences. Have you noticed how all those nice afternoon telly programmes they used to show in the UK never tell you about those?? and the fact that most of us don't learn the language in two weeks of 'being immersed in it'??!! In fact, in my case, I just stayed in my house and hid and cried and pretended all was fine whenever anyone at home asked me. This was one of the first places that I admitted that I hated it and why I hated it and after that it does seem to get better.

We are always here if you fancy a moan about it or even if you need some help with things. It was a bit unfortunate you came here over Christmas but normally we are a lively bunch, always willing to lend a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on when you need it. xxxxxx
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you x
I'm so glad to hear someone else say that. All last year my husband and I were desperate to get here, studying italian every day, looking at photos of our flat. Now I'm here i feel a bit like it's all gone wrong! I've had gastric flu for the past month and have only just started to get better.
I've joined a book group and I'm going to an aperativo for English speakers in Florence tomorrow, I'm starting to feel like it might be possible. I hope things start to look up for you too. As my sister said to me "you just have to be bold and brave". I find that really hard but I guess it's true. We'll be fine.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaniL
I'm so glad to hear someone else say that. All last year my husband and I were desperate to get here, studying italian every day, looking at photos of our flat. Now I'm here i feel a bit like it's all gone wrong! I've had gastric flu for the past month and have only just started to get better.
I've joined a book group and I'm going to an aperativo for English speakers in Florence tomorrow, I'm starting to feel like it might be possible. I hope things start to look up for you too. As my sister said to me "you just have to be bold and brave". I find that really hard but I guess it's true. We'll be fine.
Glad you're feeling better Almond. We've all been laid up in our house with that dam bug over xmas and it does seem to drag on a while. Wish those tv programmes wouldn't make things look so honky dory. It takes a lot of hard work to settle in. If you're looking for a particular book ask us. If someone has it they'll often post it on.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:08 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to everyone, I am not totally new to the site, but new to italy and to be honest, feeling a little lost and isolated, having moved here november without language friends or family...
Anyone living near to Garfagnana please?!!!
Internet consists of an hour huddled in my car as house has no reception phone or telly, so communications scatty to say the least.
Contact most welcome! lol
We used to use a cafe in Farringdon/Clerkenwell called the Garfagnana. Always wondered where the name came from.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

MattyC is on a distinguished road

Hi Almond

we're down near Pisa, if you fancy a coffe with my wife and I and maybe a good moan, or if we can just give you any advice, just let me know.

Good luck and keep thinking positively.

Ciao

Matt
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

bebe14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you x
Hi Almond
I have just read your messages and really feel for you. I live in Barga, just a few miles from you. I have lived here for over three years (after coming here on holiday for around 4 years). I have a 17-year old daughter who came over here knowing no Italian, and who goes to the local school in Barga. I know how how you feel as I have my ups and downs about living here, some things I love and some things frustrate me like mad. Let's meet up really soon and have a chat. I think you need a big hug first!!! Just leave me a message on here ( I will be away from Barga from 6th Feb - 13th Feb) but I will check my messages every day. In the meantime, try to get out of the house.

Julie
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you x
Hi Almond

Me again. I speak Italian pretty fluently so I'd be happy to help you to get Internet, British TV (if you wish - I cannot bear Italian TV) or with anything else you need.

Julie
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you x
Almond

I have just sent you a private message with my mobile phone number, please give me a call
Julie
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Almond
Sorry to hear your plight - but I'm sure it will get better. You are in area where there are alot of expats and sooner or later you will make lots of friends. Dont worry - I think all of us on here have days where we wouldnt live anywhere else and other days where we would pack our bags and be out on the first flight (or boat as for scaredy cats like me who dont like flying )

Anyway good luck and welcome to the forum - its a good place where you can come and let off steam and even though we're all quite far apart - I think we all help each other
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Hi Almond,
Sorry you finding things hard here - but hopefully getting better.....
Know, sometimes things do seem to be tough and life 'a b***h', but think you have come to nice forum where people do care and will help if they can....ask away.....someone will always answer you..... Take care and keep in touch....
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:12 am
Just Joined

alibu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone, I am not totally new to the site, but new to italy and to be honest, feeling a little lost and isolated, having moved here november without language friends or family...
Anyone living near to Garfagnana please?!!!
Internet consists of an hour huddled in my car as house has no reception phone or telly, so communications scatty to say the least.
Contact most welcome! lol
Hi Almond,

I've just moved to Garfagnana too, I am actually from Rome but I spent the last few years teaching Italian in Canada, Scotland, England and Ireland.
Garfagnana is not the easiest place where to move to, I know how isoleted it can get here, especially in winter!
Contact me if you fancy a chat and maybe a lesson, I think can give you some tips about the internet too.
ciao
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Craig and Tracey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Almond, just joined this community and saw your post. Hope you're settling in now. Almost bought a house near Garfagnana a few years ago but it fell through. Now live on the other side of the Appennini to you in Emilia Romagna, about 2 hrs drive away. Pop over to your side of the hill in the winter to go skiing at Abetone - have you been? It's a fantastic resort. When we arrived a few years ago it was a bit of a shock - new country, new language, no TV etc. My only advice is to get to know your neighbours, go to all the local festas, learn the language if you can, and when driving around wave at anyone you're seen more than once!! Craig and Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.