Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Lost in Garfagnana

Lost in Garfagnana

Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

almond has a spectacular aura aboutalmond has a spectacular aura aboutalmond has a spectacular aura about
Default Lost in Garfagnana

Hello to everyone, I am not totally new to the site, but new to italy and to be honest, feeling a little lost and isolated, having moved here november without language friends or family...
Anyone living near to Garfagnana please?!!!
Internet consists of an hour huddled in my car as house has no reception phone or telly, so communications scatty to say the least.
Contact most welcome! lol
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

coco chanel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lost in Garfagnana

Hi Almond and welcome,

Where is Garfagnana, I've never heard of it ??!! Sounds like you must be far down south if you have problems of internet connections!!
Why is your location still listed as Berkshire ?

I have lived in Benevento for 23 years and I also found it very hard to adapt without family or friends.

A presto
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

almond has a spectacular aura aboutalmond has a spectacular aura aboutalmond has a spectacular aura about

Hi and thanks for the reply. My locations set to Berkshire as I am not good with technology and havent thought to alter it! Garfagnana region is northern Tuscany, and I am in between 2 mountain ranges in a valley, so reception's impossible. I have a car charger and internet plug in but dont think the chargers working well so its hit and miss even when i drive out to get reception. Late at night on mountain roads alone with a 13yr old's not brilliant either.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:08 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. A lot of the regulars are in the u.k. for xmas. Don't know if there is anyone your way.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jonnie-falafel will become famous soon enoughJonnie-falafel will become famous soon enough

Hello - Give it time! You could also try offering free help with English to anyone who wants to hone their skills - maybe even a conversation group? Once you've found a way in people will be very friendly.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. We are near Castelnuovo di garfagnana, so if anyone is nearby, I'd be so so pleased to hear form you!
Happy new year too
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

dock32 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a while since I have been to the Garfagnana, but for being in rural Italy it has a suprising number of English speakers in and around Barga, not far from castelnuovo. There was a lot of Italian emigration to Scotland and then many returned back, including some of the local restaurant owners. From what I can remember there was even a Scots -Italian museum there.Some of the locals there may be able to give advice on your connection problems. Hope this helps.
dock32
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:51 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi almond! I'm in Florence if you are ever in for a trip! I know there are other Brits around there as I remember someone off another site having a house in your area, so they do exist! Keep in touch - you could get a different charger from one of the big electrical shops in Prato or Sesto if you think it's that.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by almond
Thanks everyone. We are near Castelnuovo di garfagnana, so if anyone is nearby, I'd be so so pleased to hear form you!
Happy new year too
hi almond? hope you had a good christmas and new year.
what made you move to the hills?
must be hard without friends and family.
i live in windsor in u.k. but in the spring or summer at the latest i hope to be moving to emilia-romagna, not too far from where you are.
ive been looking at buying a renovation project somewhere between sestola and Castelnovo ne'Monti.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I live in Florence with my husband so if you find yourself down here let us know. We came here in November too and are getting a bit sick of each other's company!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

AmyJB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Almond,

I think WWOOFed near there (terrible experience!). It is pretty isolated though if I remember and cold this time of year (altho we didn't have heating). I'm in Rome, but if you fancy getting away from it to the capital for a while, I'll be happy to meet up for a drink!

How did you come here, what are doing up there?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks AmyJB, it certainly is bleak.....
I think its made so much worse by having no internet, phone or tv. We are between two valleys and theres no signal, and the driving out in terrible weather to find internet is not fun at all.
I wasnt meant to be here alone, but my husbands had to stay on in the UK to work so its left me and our 13 yr old here to get on with it, which I dont seem to be doing. Sobbing into the laptop at all hours in the cold isnt good for the soul. But thank you for any small communication because it helps. x
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:47 pm
Being Italianized

Samsonite is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any reason you can't move slightly towards a bigger city? I have just moved to Milan - the thought of moving abroad was scary enough, so having a big city with lots of people and facilities really helps to make things comfortable and I am making new friends every day (can't speak Italian yet though!).

Home internet in Milan is amazing - twice as fast as the connection I had working for a large company in central London and only €15 per month!!

Have you looked at satellite internet and tv? In theory, that should work well from anywhere as long as there is some sky above you!

I hope you manage to sort out your teething problems soon
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

McGuinty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by almond
Hello to everyone, I am not totally new to the site, but new to italy and to be honest, feeling a little lost and isolated, having moved here november without language friends or family...
Anyone living near to Garfagnana please?!!!
Internet consists of an hour huddled in my car as house has no reception phone or telly, so communications scatty to say the least.
Contact most welcome! lol
Hi Almond,

Very distressed about your plight. I also have a house in The Garfagnana but unfortunately I'm not there at the moment - so can't offer any practical help.

My friend has a son of 13 at the High School in C di G - Is this where your daughter attends? - If so send me a mail and I'll get him to seek her out (he speaks perfect English and Italian)

Can I also suggest IF you do want to use the Internet to use the Computer shop/Internet Cafe in C di G (it's opposite the newsagent) it's quite cheap (E3 an hour) and would save you sitting freezing in your car.

If I get a reply from you - I will do my best to help you.

Best Regards

McGuinty
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Hi Almond, hope things work out for you. If you can get Sky, you could get Sky News, BBC Entertainment and several other english channels. I never feel isolated (as I used to way back) and love being able to watch what's going on back home on Sky News, there's something about the British humour, not to mention professionalism that can never be matched by Italian TV. Take care, we are here if just with a short message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.