Reload this Page >

Long term rental in Italy

Wikiposts

Long term rental in Italy

Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Roman_Mat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Long term rental in Italy

So normally, when you sign a contratto transitorio, of say one year, what happens to the bills? they are all changed to my name, or I receive the bill with the name of the landlord to my home and I pay it in the bank or post office?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

In our situation the bills are in our landlord's name. He receives them and pays them at the post office or bank, we reimburse him and he gives us a copy of the bill and receipt. It seems to work well.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the fast reply, that seems reasonable. I'll try to arrange that or something similar, as changing the names seems quite expensive and not worth it for one year.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Bills for utilities are usually changed into the renters name - and TARSU - if your landlord agrees not to do that, he will probably ask for more deposit as if you do arunner and leave him with water, elec, rubbish, gas, etc it could well be a lot of money...
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:16 am
Just Joined

cappagardi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ruby2
This has been our experience:

We’re in Venice and took a 1 year contratto transitorio. The apartment was a holiday let so comes well appointed and we haven’t needed to buy anything.
We found it through an agent who charged 1 months’ rental for his fee. I thought this was reasonable since we were making arrangements from the UK with neither time nor contacts so his input smoothed things for us considerably.

We also paid a deposit of 3 months rent. Again, given that we were starting our rental in the spring, at the start of the high season I guess it is some kind of protection for our landlord should we decide to throw in the towel after 6 months and take advantage of a rent that would be ludicrously cheap for the summer months alone. We’ll see what happens about returning this at the end of the rental period. So far our landlord has been very responsive and helpful.
We reimburse him for all bills so we haven’t had to set up utilities Given the relatively short length of time we’ll be in this apartment that seemed to be the easiest way.

We also have a written, registered contract so it’s all above board.

We only needed passport and codice fiscale. We weren’t asked for evidence of income but then we did have to put up a hefty amount upfront.

And having read your posts Modicasa and 37100 I now know I am the stereotypical Brit – diligent about paying the rent but definitely lacking on the cleaning and tidying front. Life’s too short!

Good luck with your plans.
Hi.

i'm thinking about getting a place in Venice as i seem to be spending more and more time there with clients. Living out of hotels is really getting me down so would be interested in finding an affordable flat that i can claim as my own. Can you provide the details of the agent that you used?

Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. Here it is -

He is Gabriele Carniello. His email address is [email protected].

I think we found him on a web search and liked the look of some properties on his web-site but started a really useful email exchange to probe in more detail our circumstances and what we might be looking for. We then came over for a week to see a half dozen or so properties he thought might suit us. We were impressed with his attention to our needs and have not been disappointed with our final choice, We had sold up in the UK so it was a big move for us and he certainly helped make it relatively painless.

Good luck!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ruby2
In our situation the bills are in our landlord's name. He receives them and pays them at the post office or bank, we reimburse him and he gives us a copy of the bill and receipt. It seems to work well.
Yes, that's what I do too, as it was extremely expensive to change the bills into another name, only in my case the landlord gives them to the agent, who sends me a copy.... I give the agent the money... and he gives it to the Landlord!!!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Mulling this over a bit more I think that our system of reimbursing our landlord works well except for the gas bill. Seems like eni have a bad reputation for meter reading (or rather NOT meter reading) and I realised quite early on in our rental period that the gas meter hadn't been read for ages and if we paid the bills as they came in we ran the risk of paying a huge amount of money for the gas that previous tenants had used. The simplest solution seemed to be to agree with our landlord to a rate per unit. We just read the meter every time a gas bill comes and pay the agreed rate for what we've used. I know from other people's posts that we"ll have a heart attack when we discover how much we use in the winter but at least we won't be paying for someone else's gas.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Do they use butane bottles for gas in italy? if they do maybe it is a cheaper solution. I know by experience that changing the name of the bills can be very expensive, and then there is the problem of paying more for electricity, I hope I'll be able to avoid it.