Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Living in Italy working in UK

Living in Italy working in UK

Old Jan 25th 2021, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

tattiepicker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Italy working in UK

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows about the rules about living in Italy but commuting to work in UK. My partner has a property in Genoa and i work in the north sea on an oil rig. I would be travelling every few weeks for work and then returning to Italy.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Italy working in UK

Depends on how many days per year you are living in Italy? It sounds like Italy will be home? Therefore you would likely need residency and have to consider taxation. The rules on double taxation between Italy and the UK are here. But I reckon you would need to pay tax in Italy..
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Johnbologna63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Italy and work outside of Italy. I usually spend more time out of Italy, that's why I pay UK tax.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Italy and at the same time commuted to work in the UK As a general rule you pay tax on your work in the country where the work is done If you are a resident of Italy then you will need to submit an Italian tax return I note on the link provided by Geordieborn there is whole section on offshore activities and I know that in the UK there are special rules for rig workers so you may need to get a bit of professional advice
The other slight fly in the ointment is Brexit Were you resident in Italy prior to 31 Dec 2020? If not then you are going to have to get a Visa and then a PDS to allow you to live in Italy Without it you are only allowed 90 in every 180 days in the Schengen area