Lira coins

Old May 18th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lira coins

Been having a bit of a 'spring clean' and clear out in various cupboards. Come across a hoard, a large jar, full of 10 lire coins. Must be a few thousand lire.
Any suggestions what to di with them; apart from putting them in recycle bin?
They must date back to when we used to live in an apartment block that had a 10 lire coin lift.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old May 18th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lira coins

Well, at face value a thousand lire is worth just half a euro. A few thousand would be a handful of euro. I don't even know if the bank would change them now; why not hang on to them as collectors' pieces? Maybe in a few decades' time they'll be worth something.
Old May 18th 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ononno View Post
Been having a bit of a 'spring clean' and clear out in various cupboards. Come across a hoard, a large jar, full of 10 lire coins. Must be a few thousand lire.
Any suggestions what to di with them; apart from putting them in recycle bin?
They must date back to when we used to live in an apartment block that had a 10 lire coin lift.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
http://www.bancaditalia.it/bancomonete/cambiolire
Old May 19th 2011, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Sancho. I was convinced in my own mind that they'd expired years ago. Had no idea that I could still exchange them. Have lots of other bits and bobs around too. May as well donate them to charity then, since they can be turned into ready cash. Just goes to show how useful t'internet can be.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old May 24th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Lira coins

A big thank you to Ononno for the selection of coins you sent me. I have opened the envelope and found the old notes you included including an old coin from Malta, which is were I was born. Many many years ago.

Ta
Old May 25th 2011, 3:11 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is an old thread (well -ish) but if you have the chain of Centro supermarkets near you they also still accept Lira!!! They have a sign on their door saying so!!
Old May 26th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Testarosso; don't know this chain - I can just see the look on the cassiera's face when I turn up to pay my 5 eurine bill for milk/bread/ham with 966 x 10 lire coins!
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old May 26th 2011, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Testarosso; don't know this chain - I can just see the look on the cassiera's face when I turn up to pay my 5 eurine bill for milk/bread/ham with 966 x 10 lire coins!
ciao for now,
'o nonno
It has to be worth trying. I once tried to pay for my grocerys at Sainsbury with my library card.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:15 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

ciao for now,
'o nonno
That's a face I wouldn't mind seeing. I bet a fairly young check-out girl could hardly even remember the Lira - maybe a few notes but not the scrabbly 10 lira coin. Where I live they used to give you a tiny sweetie because they never had enough very small change coins.