Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

LIDL - British Week

LIDL - British Week

Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: LIDL - British Week

Hahaha so true Now that's 4 pages.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:00 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! All the fantastic food in Italy and we drool over processed crap!! It is funny! Btw I didn't buy the crisps - get ikeas they are amazing, a bit like kettle chips, which I can also get in Esselunga! Antonia went mad for golden wonder when we were in Spain - I thought they were awful!!!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:22 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

So.....here goes

Cheddar Cheeses Pasties
Made for lunch served with mustard

600grm strong flour
300grm fat
salt
water

Chopped onion
chopped cheese ( small 1/4" chunks)
1 egg
S&P
smidging of fresh sage
Fresh thyme
Mix in a bowl

Roll out circles of pastry, damp edges
Fill. Not too much
fold over press edges

put in oven 6-7

cook 35mins

Yummy
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

FISH AND CHIPS

I LOVE LIDL
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:35 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Were they any good? You can get findus fish in bread crumbs anyway, so I didn't see the point!! I don't like frozen batter, yurgh!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:05 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
FISH AND CHIPS

I LOVE LIDL
I got banned for writing this large on another site.......
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

I found porridge oats, english mustard (it's a bit weak), mint sauce and marmalade, will check out the frozen food next time, I can make a passable batter myself using beer and egg whites etc so make my own fish and chips, - merluzzo imperiale, which we bought once direct from a fisherman at Torre San Giovanni, was delicious fried in batter.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:06 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
I found porridge oats, english mustard (it's a bit weak), mint sauce and marmalade, will check out the frozen food next time, I can make a passable batter myself using beer and egg whites etc so make my own fish and chips, - merluzzo imperiale, which we bought once direct from a fisherman at Torre San Giovanni, was delicious fried in batter.
I've made batter too to coat fresh fish but I never used any egg whites. Do they make it fluffier or something ?

I made a spicy batter once to make some Indian style fried bits of vegetables. Those were nice.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I've made batter too to coat fresh fish but I never used any egg whites. Do they make it fluffier or something ?

I made a spicy batter once to make some Indian style fried bits of vegetables. Those were nice.
Yes, you add 2 egg whites, beaten, last of all - make batter using very little beer (otherwise it will be too liquidy) to 5 oz flour, 4 tabs of olive oil and salt. How do you make spicy batter Lorna?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:29 am
The Original Red Head!

Any kind of beer/lager? Some are fizzier than others or maltier and I wondered if it mattered! Sounds good!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes any kind of lager or beer, I suppose the fizzier the better, the beaten egg whites make it puff up too. The olive oil for frying it in must be very hot ofcourse.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you add 2 egg whites, beaten, last of all - make batter using very little beer (otherwise it will be too liquidy) to 5 oz flour, 4 tabs of olive oil and salt. How do you make spicy batter Lorna?
Just make your normal batter but add some very finely chopped garlic and a pinch of all your favourite spices. I like garam masala and a bit of ginger , cumin, tumeric etc. I suppose a teaspoon of mixed all spice would work too. OH likes hot flavours so for him I add curry powder, chilli, paprika, bits of fresh chopped chillies .....whatever you have in the house really. I make the batter fairly thick so it sticks to the veg and doesn't run off.

It makes fantastic onion rings and is great on button mushrooms too. Deep fy til crispy and golden. Thin strips of courgette work too but you could try most veg.

Yes any kind of lager or beer, I suppose the fizzier the better, the beaten egg whites make it puff up too. The olive oil for frying it in must be very hot ofcourse.
I've heard that fizzy mineral water works well in batter as well - something to do with air bubbles. Have you tried it instead of beer? Can you taste the beer in the batter? I hate beer.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:36 pm
The Original Red Head!

The most amazing deep fried veggies I've had were at the house of a Japanese colleague of my OH years ago. The Japanese put ice in the batter and don't mix all the lumps out. We fried everything there and then at the table in an electric wok, it was brill!!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
The most amazing deep fried veggies I've had were at the house of a Japanese colleague of my OH years ago. The Japanese put ice in the batter and don't mix all the lumps out. We fried everything there and then at the table in an electric wok, it was brill!!
Tempura? I like this.... I had a recipe for this batter that worked really well.... will see if I can dig it out later.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Just make your normal batter but add some very finely chopped garlic and a pinch of all your favourite spices. I like garam masala and a bit of ginger , cumin, tumeric etc. I suppose a teaspoon of mixed all spice would work too. OH likes hot flavours so for him I add curry powder, chilli, paprika, bits of fresh chopped chillies .....whatever you have in the house really. I make the batter fairly thick so it sticks to the veg and doesn't run off.

It makes fantastic onion rings and is great on button mushrooms too. Deep fy til crispy and golden. Thin strips of courgette work too but you could try most veg.

I've heard that fizzy mineral water works well in batter as well - something to do with air bubbles. Have you tried it instead of beer? Can you taste the beer in the batter? I hate beer.
lemon goes well with fish, we use lemonade in our batter mix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.