Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Length of rental contracts

Length of rental contracts

Old Aug 13th 2022, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

fenman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Length of rental contracts

Hi I am aware that rental contracts for Italy are generally for a few years however I wanted to know if there are opportunities for 1 year renewable contracts rather than 4, and if so would these be accepted by a comune when applying for residence?

Thanks
Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Length of rental contracts

Yes it's possible. We persuaded a landlord to rent their apartment to us for a year. It was previously a holiday home. At that time it wasn't being rented all year round, so we had to agree a monthly price with them that was attractive enough for them to forego the higher amount that they might get for the couple of months as a holiday home in exchange for a guaranteed annual amount. I don't think they were that keen, but in the end they were happy. And the rental agreement was fine for the comune.

The only problem might be that in order to do that we spent a few months here first (because getting to know people and building relationships is very important in Italy), and I know you might not have that luxury
Old Aug 15th 2022, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Technically not, but you can. A contratto transitorio - up to 18 months, was designed for people who are working or students, but who have residency in another comune. However, if the landlord is willing you can claim residency in a 1 year let - but only if the landlord gives assent. The contract must be registered at the tax office.
Old Aug 15th 2022, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
Technically not, but you can. A contratto transitorio - up to 18 months, was designed for people who are working or students, but who have residency in another comune. However, if the landlord is willing you can claim residency in a 1 year let - but only if the landlord gives assent. The contract must be registered at the tax office.

thanks modicasa.

do you think residency could be granted if one goes to live with local relatives? I think it is called "comodato gratuito" or something like this
Old Aug 16th 2022, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is also possible, again the contract must be registered at the Tax Office. It ideally would be a self containted unit, having a room in someone's house is looked on less favourably. Obviously if you get residency in a relatives house they also have to declare for the TARI and IMU that the number of occupants is higher than it was.
Old Aug 16th 2022, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
Yes, that is also possible, again the contract must be registered at the Tax Office. It ideally would be a self containted unit, having a room in someone's house is looked on less favourably. Obviously if you get residency in a relatives house they also have to declare for the TARI and IMU that the number of occupants is higher than it was.
many thanks.

so to register at the comune I would need an actual contract with a relative rather than their declaration?
Old Aug 16th 2022, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, you would have a do a comodato d'uso contract which is then registered at the tax office.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fenman
Hi I am aware that rental contracts for Italy are generally for a few years however I wanted to know if there are opportunities for 1 year renewable contracts rather than 4, and if so would these be accepted by a comune when applying for residence?

Thanks
I would imagine it's also possible to sign up to a 4-year contract and then give notice after 1 year. I think the standard notice period is 6 months, so it's not an ideal situation and you might annoy your landlord, but it should be possible as a potential solution?
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Is it true that the rentals are always, without a kitchen and furniture?
I read somewhere that tenants bring their own kitchen.
Old Aug 24th 2022, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fenman
Hi,

Is it true that the rentals are always, without a kitchen and furniture?
I read somewhere that tenants bring their own kitchen.
It's true that it happens but it's not true that this is always the case. Some rentals are fully furnished - including furniture & kitchen and varying amounts of white goods - others are as you say.

Our flat had full kitchen, including fridge, hob, oven, dishwasher but no washing machine and no mattress for the bed.

You will need to be clear what is and isn't included. The word "arredato" means furnished and you may also see "partzialmente arredato".
Old Aug 24th 2022, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Yes it’s possible. I had a 12 month renewable contract when I first moved over and there were no issues with the residency. It was also fully furnished.
Old Aug 24th 2022, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Contratti transitori are furnished. 4x4 contracts are usually unfurnished - and that can include no kitchen.