Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Lecture on "Brexit"

Lecture on "Brexit"

Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Lecture on "Brexit"

I thought everyone here would know this, but apparently not. There have only been about eight thousand views. Anyway, for what it's worth, here is it. It's not only illuminating but also, I think, extraordinarily prescient -

Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lecture on "Brexit"

A very good and clear summation of the current position.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

He forgets to mention in his excellent first 5 or 6 minutes that I watched the very important 'Non' of De Gaulle, which of course increased the desire of the British Government to join.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ononno
He forgets to mention in his excellent first 5 or 6 minutes that I watched the very important 'Non' of De Gaulle, which of course increased the desire of the British Government to join.
I don't think he forgets to mention it. He says that Britain's application in 1963, which is when De Gaulle is supposed to have said "Non", was vetoed. but that is just hood style. That story, which would surely have been well-known to his audience, would have been boring after the startling Bevin quote, which most of them would probably not have known, and would have added nothing at all to the lecture. Incidentally, do you think it's true, or was the "Non" just a British media paraphrase of what they imagined a caricature De Gaulle saying ? Any evidence ? Is there a recording, for example ?
Old Jan 14th 2019, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's De Gaulle speaking. I can't understand it very well but he does seem to have put some thought into the subject.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philat98
Here's De Gaulle speaking. I can't understand it very well but he does seem to have put some thought into the subject.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=faIWhXoam7Y
Thanks for that. I do speak French - I worked in Senegal for a long time - but I'd never heard a recording of De Gaulle and I didn't realise how well he spoke the language. Anyway, if that's the closest that exists to the reported "Non" then it seems to support my suspicion that perhaps the "Non" was a paraphrase, or a travesty, or at best a simplification in the British media of what he actually said. It's easy to think of reasons why they would travesty it.

Last edited by Sancho; Jan 16th 2019 at 7:33 am. Reason: style
Old Jan 16th 2019, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just watched this recording again for the first time in many years. He in fact is explaining very clearly all the reasons that the UK should not be joining the Common Market as it then was, and his vision of a United Continental Europe.
I-ve always been a fan of De Gaulle, and love his famous -mes enfants- speech to the pieds noirs in Algeria during the war of independence.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought the net would have a transcription in French of this for people who can to read, if of course there is any correct transcript
Old Jan 16th 2019, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought the net would have a transcription in French of this for people who can to read, if of course there is any correct transcript