Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

leaving the house?

leaving the house?

Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaving the house?

Originally Posted by Pica
I see the lockdown is to be extended to 15th April, sad but necessary.
I wonder if this severe lockdown is so necessary. Sweden seems to be doing it better. A lot of Italian businesses were on their last legs when things were normal.
Italy still has not lfted the laws that were introduced for the problem with the Red Brigades.

Last edited by philat98; Mar 31st 2020 at 9:36 am.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I wonder if this severe lockdown is so necessary. Sweden seems to be doing it better.
The simple answer is that nobody knows, only time will tell. Sweden is embarking on a (brave/risky - choose your own adjective) experiment with their own population. Unfortunately with this particular virus there seems to be an combination of rapid contagion and a moderately long lead-time from contagion to (usually vague) symptoms, then testing to confirm - not to mention the possibility of asymptomatic cases. This means that the result of any action will typically not be seen in infection rates for quite a few days, in hospitalisations for a few more, and for deaths even longer.

If the Swedish rate of infection / mortality etc follows the curve of countries that have taken aggressive lockdown strategies then they will have done right to desist, and will have taught us all a useful lesson. Some other countries will presumably relax their lockdowns and if all continues then fairly quickly I would expect to see most if not all lockdowns lifted. And the Swedish government will be the great heroes of the hour. But if the Swedish experience turns out to be significantly worse than locked-down countries it will be confirmation that at least the lockdown strategy has an effect (albeit at enormous cost) and the Swedish government will be the villains of the piece.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what you are saying Serrano about Sweden's gamble.
However I am just fearful that a lot of Italians are not in a financial position to cope with a long lock down and the State doesn' t seem to be doing a lot. In Norcia they are still waiting for help after the 2016 earthquake.
May be Korea did the best with all their testing. They were ready for an epidemic too.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think you can compare such different countries or that we will ever learn that much from these event, but we will learn/gain in some ways - keep safe everyone!
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Don't think you can compare such different countries or that we will ever learn that much from these event, but we will learn/gain in some ways - keep safe everyone!
From what I read Korea had learned from the H1N1 pandemic in 2009. When a family arrived from China all suffering from pneumonia they were able to identify the Covid19.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a small village in central Italy, whilst driving to the supermarket this morning, coming towards me was a car with a french number plate, I was surprised as I would have thought that people would not be allowed to drive the 5 hours through Italy ?

When I came out of the small supermarket..................there was a car parked two cars away from me with a German number plate !!!

I thought we all had to stay in our own comune ??!!

I am missing something (usually the case !)

PsG
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends it Italy driving a GB plated car, they arrived at their 2nd home in February and can't leave.... Perhaps they are the same?
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Thx Geordieborn

ooh, that would make sense ! .................doh !!

Assuming they do not want to be here I feel for them, although I do recall that on the 17th March the UK Government advised people against non essential travel and then, on 23rd March advised people to return home ................obviously they were not able to.

One wonders how long they will need/have to stay and when they can travel back will be in quarantine ?!

Thx

Last edited by PSG2014; Apr 3rd 2020 at 9:52 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Poor souls were supposed to go from Italy to Mauritius for a wedding and then come back to the UK for another family reunion, then back to Italy for the family to visit them. Another friend here in the UK had this lot:-Malta April cancelled

Poland May cancelled

Malta May/June cancelled

Italy July cancelled

India. September cancelled

Malta. November probably to cancel

It was all going to be an exciting year for their Golden Wedding .... Still there are many who have lost loved ones, so all in all for now we are all very lucky - stay safe folks!
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

terrible........................we were due to go back to UK in June for my sister's 50th wedding anniversary which coincided with her husband's 70th birthday. The main thing is that we are all safe and well at our respective home locations..............

I do not know how the world will get to being 'as was' ..................lucky that the Internet is available!

sad sad sad !
Old Apr 4th 2020, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PSG2014
I live in a small village in central Italy, whilst driving to the supermarket this morning, coming towards me was a car with a french number plate, I was surprised as I would have thought that people would not be allowed to drive the 5 hours through Italy ?

When I came out of the small supermarket..................there was a car parked two cars away from me with a German number plate !!!

I thought we all had to stay in our own comune ??!!

I am missing something (usually the case !)

PsG
I will add my interesting experience to that.We live in Calabria.We got the Dunkirk ferry on the 7th March and stayed over in Strasbourg,waking up to the news that Northern Italy was locked down including our next stop,Modena.After a few enquiries we learned that the A1 was open,so we made the 9hr trip to Orvieto,stayed over and made the 6 hr trip back,ignoring our last hotel near Cassino.Woke up in our house the next morning to find out we were in a nationwide lockdown.That's what I call a close shave,lol.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

I must add,I feel safer here after looking at the rabble almost looting the supermarkets back home and the lack of distancing enforcement.