Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Land borders within the EU..

Land borders within the EU..

Old May 12th 2020, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute
Default Land borders within the EU..

I see there is increasing public pressure being put on the government to open the borders in Germany...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...es-discipline/

are there any similar noises being made in Italy yet..?
Old May 12th 2020, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land borders within the EU..

I believe the borders are open. In fact, they've never been closed. https://tass.com/world/1150363

On the other hand, once you arrive in Italy you have to consider the rules about where and for what reasons you can travel, and which shops/museums/tourist sites are open. Until recently, the basic answer is that more or less everything was closed and you could only travel for work/health reasons/emergencies and, from last Monday, visiting relatives within the same province. The next phase of changes is due to start from the 18th, and it seems that it is possible for all shops,bars, restaurants, museums, cultural sites etc to reopen - BUT each province will make it's own rules and each place must be able to comply with distancing regulations.

Our mayor gave an interview to news website a few days ago in which he said he doesn't expect any German, Dutch or Belgian tourists this year. Those being the main nationalities which traditionally visit here - I don't think he has anything against those countries! But I think many people are expecting 'local' tourism only.

So could there be a situation where travel is allowed from across a border into one province, Trentino-Alto Adige or Val d'Aosta maybe, where the number of infections are low, but restrictions then on moving out of that province to another one where the infection rate is higher or there are less intensive care beds? Possibly. You might argue that it would make sense.

Old May 12th 2020, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

oh - just opened the BBC website and saw this https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52632976
Old May 13th 2020, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an update which I just found..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...open-mid-june/

While this is all good news and things are potentially starting to look a bit more promising for me to get over there to cut my grass before the heat of the summer, I have yet to find any real solid information as to what problems I might face crossing individual borders from Holland/Germany, Germany/Austria, and Austria/Italy, or with over zealous police officers I might meet along the way who may choose to interpret things in their own way to cause a problem for me.

So far there is no word of my DFDS ferry route from North Shields to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) reopening before 3rd June at the earliest and I wont be surprised if that is pushed back even further, but my real concern is and always has been travelling freely within Italy...

Last edited by Jake.White; May 13th 2020 at 11:14 am.
Old May 16th 2020, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

More good news for anyone who hasn't already seen it..

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-16/...l-from-june-3/
Old May 20th 2020, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

The plans laid out by the government are subject to reveiw at the end of May based not only on the statistics in Italy but also on those in the rest or europe . as well as that the single regions can impose stricter regulations within their own territory . At the first sign of a second wave they will decide not to open the borders .