Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

JUST RIDICULOUS - what silly, strange or weird statements have you been given?

JUST RIDICULOUS - what silly, strange or weird statements have you been given?

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:05 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default JUST RIDICULOUS - what silly, strange or weird statements have you been given?

On returning a pair of strappy sandals to the shop the very next day after buying them as one of the straps had come unstuck, I was told that they couldn't do anything about it - it was all my fault - I must walk crooked !!!!

I sent a polite (but a bit cheeky) email to a so called customer services asking who designed their toddler clip on highchair as a flipping screwdriver was needed just to remove the fabric covering to wash it. I told them that praticality obviously hadn't been taken into account. Surprisingly I got a reply ....... telling me that I should have checked out the product properly before buying it !!! It was a present.

Very confused in the bank one day I innocently said "but that wouldn't happen in England." I was told to just go back home then !!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:39 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JUST RIDICULOUS - what silly, strange or weird statements have you been given?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Very confused in the bank one day I innocently said "but that wouldn't happen in England." I was told to just go back home then !!!!!
Well ...... thats like a red rag to a bull, and you probably deserved that one

I got told in the UK once with a pair of shoes I bought which the sole came off in a week, that I had used them too much!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:45 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JUST RIDICULOUS - what silly, strange or weird statements have you been given?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well ...... thats like a red rag to a bull, and you probably deserved that one

I got told in the UK once with a pair of shoes I bought which the sole came off in a week, that I had used them too much!
probably yeah - have been careful where, when and how I have used that particular line since then.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

kathrynverona is an unknown quantity at this point

I was once refused an Ikea card because I wasn't Italian.
I was so angry I sent a fax to the president in Norway (strange but true - the head office isn't in Sweden). I got a very apologetic phone call from the manager in brescia, a telefax with apologies from the head office and a free bed delivered to my house (I'd ordered the bed 3 months earlier and was still waiting for it to arrive).
Excellent result.
I regularly get told to go home if I don't like it here.....
I took a pair of nike trainers back once because the side of the sole was cracked, they told me to buy some paint to cover it up. Needless to say they changed the shoes after I'd "released the beast within".
There's a whole new approach to customer service over here, my husband's procedure is to ban people from his shop if they complain too much!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:34 am

wow - maybe I should ask for an Ikea card ...... I could do with a new mattress - ha
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

We went camping in Australia in an Outback Camper trailer - designed as the name suggests to go into the outback. When we got back and washed everything down the entire bottom half was stained orange - on complaining we were informed that we had "driven through the wrong type of mud".
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Never ever had a problem in Spain, even with a usb mp3 player that had overheated and started to melt when we tried to load songs onto it.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:20 am
Just Joined

casa mia is an unknown quantity at this point

You have seven days by law to change things , they always come up with rubbish answers just because they dont want to change the item , getting very stroppy often works .
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

My OH ordered on line a hard disk for our computer, payment duly taken. After a week of no action he made the 'mistake' of calling the shop to see where the goods had got to. He was told that they actually didn't have it in stock (even after showing it available on their site). When querying why they had already taken money when no goods were available, he was told that it was his fault for sending money in the first place! We have graciously decided that the shop was a one off robber and not all of Italy is like that ......
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

welsh_john is an unknown quantity at this point

My female (Italian) friend informed me that she was ill all last winter (2006/2007) because "it wasn't cold enough".

It seems that unless the seasons behave themselves, and follow an orderly climatic pattern, they play havoc with the delicate Italian constitution...