Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Just decided! - What timescale?

Just decided! - What timescale?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Just decided! - What timescale?

Hi, I will be honest and want to live anywhere but the UK. . .

I've been obsessed with Australia for years, but every winter I change my mind to Italy/Canada (mountains, snow etc)

My partner has always loved the idea of italy, and rolls his eyes everytime I change my mind! The only thing that puts me off is language - I've tried learning languages before and always fail.

How "easy" is it to move to Italy? We are both born brits, and haven't a clue where to begin or how long it takes?

Any advice would be fantastic!

Thanks everyone, have a good day

Jen
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:15 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just decided! - What timescale?

We decided about 2 years ago we would move out here in Autumn 2008. Then my hubby came home June 2006 and said lets go now! We were out here by end October 2006 and have been here a year now. Language is less of a problem in Florence than other places because of the high student and tourist population plus there is a big expat network here, both US and British.

We didn't have a house to sell, so a big plus in current climate, but you can do it very quickly. We are renting here, which is very common.

Just noticed your location - we lived in Mere near Knutsford for 2 years before moving down to Sussex! My BIL is in Lostock Gralam.

Last edited by TestaRossa; Nov 4th 2007 at 11:17 am. Reason: extra info
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

MattyC is on a distinguished road

good luck, it's harder than I thought it would be. I moved out here just over 2 years ago with my wife who is Italian. I found a job first then a flat, then just threw everything in the car and drove down. Language and documentation take a lot of getting your head around. There are language courses you can do when you get here though, full immersion was the only way for me. I found it very slow and frustrating but I seem to be getting there now and even though I consider myself a bit of a language thicky, I can say most things and get by. Italian grammar is much more complicated than English and a good foundation of English grammar will help. I think people move down here with the blinkers on a bit though and forget that you'll be away from family and friends, you can't communicate, all the rules are strange and frustrating, you can't watch tv or listen to the radio, (even if there was anything on worth watching, which there isn't). In my opinion, everywhere in the world, in the prettiest places become just a place to live when you have to get up, go to work, get stuck in the horrendous traffic, etc. Think hard.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Embles is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jen - I have just moved out to Turin with my family near the beautiful mountains. As someone who is going through the initial settling-in period I would adivse to DEFINITELY learn some Italian before you come. Most Italians don't speak English or if they do are very shy to, in my experience. So you will have to make the effort. Italy is also a beaurocratic nightmare as pp said and it is incredibly frustrating sometimes even getting the simplest thing done (it took us a month to get broadband set up) so you will need some Italian to negotiate all that. I barely knew any before I got here so was really in at the deep end, but I have learnt languages before and lived abroad so I kind of knew what I was letting myself in for. It can still be very isolating and frustrating though and Italian really isn't the easiest of languages to get to grips with. However I am lucky as my husband speaks pretty good Italian. Italian's themselves in this part I have found very polite and friendly although quite reserved. It will take time for us to make friends and feel part of the community, I think.
Am not sure how you are fixed job-wise, but obviously that's a pretty major factor to consider although I can't really help you there as we transferred here with my husband's work and I am not working myself (sono casalinga!).
If you are fairly adaptable and willing to learn and integrate into the culture, I am sure you'll get on fine eventually, I would just expect it to take at least 6 months to a year to start to feel settled in.... but if those mountains are calling you, then how can you resist?!
Emilyx
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys, thanks for all your help and advice.

I actually work for myself (freelance designer) so providing I have broadband I can work anywhere in the world lol! Just somewhere I can look out of my window and see mountains and trees rather than a gravel drive and 6 other houses lined with cars. . .

No idea whereabouts to consider moving too- my partner, baby and I all live in the "garage" (converted) at my parents because the house prices are rediculous and the hope of a mortgage for a self employed person seems to be almost impossible. So we would really be budget led.

As for social aspect, I have quite a few friends here, but I probably see them 2 or 3 times a year lol. I couldn't even say that I feel part of the community here, and was born and raised here!

Testarossa - Its a small world lol. I must admit though, cheshire is quite nice, but I'm sure there's better places in the world! Just feel ready for a change. I'm only 22, but I see pensioners standing in northwich bus stop with the clouds, the rain, huddled together getting on the bus. . . everyone look sad over here. . . I know there's no utopia, but I really don't want to get old here! The idea of my daughter attending school here scares me to death - I know how hard it could be when I was there, and I help teach 14-16 year olds and it seems even worse than it was back then!

language-wise, I tend to pick up reading and writing quicker than speaking and listening lol. So paperwork should be easier than ordering a pizza!

I have ordered that Talk-2 italian thing (bbc) so me and my OH are planning on sitting down and really having a go at learning the language together.

Any more help would be gratefully accepted! My OH is an admin assistant - not sure how that will work out in Italy! He might have to have a career change over there.

Thanks everyone,
Jen
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

MattyC is on a distinguished road

just one more thing I forgot, when moving to Italy you will have absolutely zero credit history and therefore no rating, so it will be tough to get mortgage and buy a place or get credit for a car. Car insurance will be expensive as you're foreign and have zero no claims bonus. The average salary is about 1,300€ for your average impiegato or office worker if you are lucky enough to find a job, though it sounds like you wont need one. House prices, depending on where you go can tend to be on a par with parts of England or more. Tuscany is very expensive and the cost of living tends to be higher with lower salaries. Oh and don't even think of going with Wind for your broad band if you rely on it for your job and want to get connected within 3 months, try Telecom Italia and Alice. One final thing....it's rainy and cloudy over here sometimes too.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Ed Foley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coppock
Hi guys, thanks for all your help and advice.

I actually work for myself (freelance designer) so providing I have broadband I can work anywhere in the world lol! Just somewhere I can look out of my window and see mountains and trees rather than a gravel drive and 6 other houses lined with cars. . .

No idea whereabouts to consider moving too- my partner, baby and I all live in the "garage" (converted) at my parents because the house prices are rediculous and the hope of a mortgage for a self employed person seems to be almost impossible. So we would really be budget led.

As for social aspect, I have quite a few friends here, but I probably see them 2 or 3 times a year lol. I couldn't even say that I feel part of the community here, and was born and raised here!

Testarossa - Its a small world lol. I must admit though, cheshire is quite nice, but I'm sure there's better places in the world! Just feel ready for a change. I'm only 22, but I see pensioners standing in northwich bus stop with the clouds, the rain, huddled together getting on the bus. . . everyone look sad over here. . . I know there's no utopia, but I really don't want to get old here! The idea of my daughter attending school here scares me to death - I know how hard it could be when I was there, and I help teach 14-16 year olds and it seems even worse than it was back then!

language-wise, I tend to pick up reading and writing quicker than speaking and listening lol. So paperwork should be easier than ordering a pizza!

I have ordered that Talk-2 italian thing (bbc) so me and my OH are planning on sitting down and really having a go at learning the language together.

Any more help would be gratefully accepted! My OH is an admin assistant - not sure how that will work out in Italy! He might have to have a career change over there.

Thanks everyone,
Jen
Hi Jen

I suspect we are in bit of a different situation to you because I retired a year or so ago and decided to move to Italy then. Going back to your original question about timescales, it has taken us nearly a year to get as far as we have. Last October I did an intensive week's language course and then we started seriously looking for properties in February of this year. We toured Calabria and Puglia for a while before settling on Abruzzo. We found an apartment in March. 15 minutes from the beaches 40 minutes from the ski resorts in the mountains plus amazing national parks with bears, wolves etc.

In late March we were told the apartment would be ready in a couple of months. We used one of the big Estate Agencies, who have been very helpful setting up basic things like bank accounts and getting our codice fiscale which you need to buy anything big and they will help us begin the residency process which is apparently a real pain. Also our builder and his wife both speak pretty good English and have taken us around to buy various things we need, lights phones etc and kitchens. ( if you are buying new Italian property they come without kitchens.)

Selling the place in Surrey took much longer than I expected mainly because the purchaser was jerking us around. ( There doesn't seem to be much you can do about that especially if they are using cheap bucket shop solicitors.) but buying in Italy seemed to be fairly straightforward. We signed the compromesso (intial agreement) in May and the final contract in September.
Because it says so in all the books we used an international solicitors although you don't need to and I am not sure what we gained from them except perhaps some reassurance.

We also used a similar furniture remover. They guaranteed delivery as a part load in 15 days and took over a month. I suspect it will take even longer to sort out the insurance claims for the damage.

The builders still seem to need to do small odd jobs here and there around the apartment. Currently, we are waiting for the utilities to be connected. Electricity and water seem pretty straightforward but we are now being told that it could take some time for the safety inspections etc. to be carried out and the gas to be connected. This is pretty critical because, as one of your other replies said it does get cold and wet in Italy and apartments are designed to remain cool which means in winter they are really cold without heating!!

However, it all seemed worthwhile over the weekend when we were sitting on our balcony in tee shirts in the warm sunshine looking at snow covered mountains over a glass of Montepulcino D'Abruzzo. Just go for it. You'll love it
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

My dads thinking of retiring next year, so him and my mum will probably tag along!

I do fancy Abruzzo, it sounds great! Too be honest I'm not too worried about rain and cloud, but when you have a british summer full of rain and cloud, only to look forward to more rain and cloud over winter - it gets demoralising lol. I love snowboarding, and want my daughter to have the option to do active stuff when she's older, rather than just hang around shopping centres.

I'm looking at honeymooning in abruzzo, I've seen a rented property near Gran Sasso and Pineto (if that means anything). I think I would want to be further in the mountains when I move, but it sounds lovely.

I think for mortgages barclays and travelex offer them - but want to clear my student loan etc before i go anyhow. I like the idea of buying a complete restoration job, then spending a 2 or 3 years getting it done up before moving over? Unless I can grab a bargain! What are house prices like in Abruzzo at the moment? And can anyone recommend any estate agents?

Thanks everyone
Jen
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Ed Foley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coppock
My dads thinking of retiring next year, so him and my mum will probably tag along!

I do fancy Abruzzo, it sounds great! Too be honest I'm not too worried about rain and cloud, but when you have a british summer full of rain and cloud, only to look forward to more rain and cloud over winter - it gets demoralising lol. I love snowboarding, and want my daughter to have the option to do active stuff when she's older, rather than just hang around shopping centres.

I'm looking at honeymooning in abruzzo, I've seen a rented property near Gran Sasso and Pineto (if that means anything). I think I would want to be further in the mountains when I move, but it sounds lovely.

I think for mortgages barclays and travelex offer them - but want to clear my student loan etc before i go anyhow. I like the idea of buying a complete restoration job, then spending a 2 or 3 years getting it done up before moving over? Unless I can grab a bargain! What are house prices like in Abruzzo at the moment? And can anyone recommend any estate agents?

Thanks everyone
Jen
Check out HousearoundItaly. They have an office in Pescara airport http://www.housearounditaly.com/
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:33 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Coppock, can I suggest you rent first? Renting in Italy is soo much easier than in the UK as so many more people do it! This way if you find you have made a mistake it will be alot easier to head back or find a different area. Holidaying somewhere, particuarly on Honeymoon, is going to be so much different to living there! Florence now could really be anywhere as I spend time shopping, housework, school run etc. The upside being the weather and beautiful surroundings, great friends and very good food and wine!

If Broadband is important to you do your research on mountainous areas - many don't have Broadband yet! Italy is way behind the UK in availability and many country areas are only just starting to get it. The only option then is very slow dial-up or satellite, not great!

Having some language is definitely worthwhile, but if you can find a decent, English speaking EA for either renting or buying they should make life easier. Ours sorted out the phone installation for us. I sorted SKY myself about 6 months in, many things just come with your own confidence in getting something sorted - still got to phone that electrician!!

I would definitely go for it, just remember you will be living here, and yep, sometimes I still get depressed at the greyness even here!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

madmichelle83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Just decided! - What timescale?

hi i am new here, was wondering someone just said about car insurance being expensive? how expensive is that? for a bulgarian registered vehicle
many thanks for any replies
donna
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Hi Coppock, can I suggest you rent first? Renting in Italy is soo much easier than in the UK as so many more people do it! This way if you find you have made a mistake it will be alot easier to head back or find a different area. Holidaying somewhere, particuarly on Honeymoon, is going to be so much different to living there! Florence now could really be anywhere as I spend time shopping, housework, school run etc. The upside being the weather and beautiful surroundings, great friends and very good food and wine!
Hi, thanks. Are there any websites you would recommend for renting?

Thanks
Jen
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:18 pm
Capo di nessuno capo

stefanaccio is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend was able to locate a rental in Abruzzo through Tecnocasa.it. You will find that real estate drops in price as you get further away from the Adriatic Sea.

Casale in Abruzzo
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

beany71 will become famous soon enoughbeany71 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Just decided! - What timescale?

Hi Jen,

We are planning on going out to Sicily in December to spend the winter there, I myself am of italian origin. However I have spent most of my life in the uk so can understand your worries of the language.
It was only 5 years ago when i went out there for the summer and fell in love with southern Italy all over again. I remembered things from my childhood and it seems now as hard as I try I can only seem to settle there.
Lucky for me I have found an amazing man and we fell in love (Ahhhh).
He is British through and through, not at all like me.... However he is looking to change his life and instead of jumpin in feet first moving there permenant, we decided it would be better to try it for 4 months so he can test the water so to speak.
He doesnt speak Italian at all and intends to join a school over the winter so by the time spring comes he is a little more confident.
The red tape in Italy camn be frustrating as they are a lot slower than the uk and dont put any importance on this kind of scenario, so you need patience and a sense of humour.

It is a fab lifestyle and maybe a good idea for you to maybe spend a little time in the country( say 3 months ). After that time if you love it then you can then make a start on looking for a house and new life.

I think the problem I have with expats moving into countries like Italy is that they take all the same ideas and beliefs into the country thinking it will be pretty similar to the uk and its just not, just because we are in the EU doesnt make us all the same.
I think if you can remember that southern europe is on a very different body and mind clock then you will get on just fine, as the southern italians for example are extremely welcoming.

Do you know where you plan on looking in Italy?
Of course I can recommend the south but equally for Job oppurtunities the north is much better.

Anyway fire some questions at me if you like and I will see If i can help at all.
All the best.
Debs Aka beany71
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:56 pm
The Original Red Head!

Hi Jen

Try Casa.it - it is very comprehensive and covers both rentals and sales. You put in the region, city etc that you are interested in and it brings up 1000's of available properties with Estate Agents that have signed up to the site. This will also mean you can compare both rental and sale prices in the area you want to look. We didn't get a rental through them though, we found ours through the yellow pages - pagine giallo - they are available online like ours is. Again look up Immobiliare. You are looking for the word "affito" for rental and "vendita" for sales. Most will do both. Start with Casa.it though as this will enable you to compare different parts of the country pricewise.

One other thing - living in the country here is more remote than anything in England bar a hillcroft in the Lakes. If you are too remote from a town or village it will be more difficult to make friends or do activities, especially in winter. These broken down places in the hills are like that, and cheap, for a reason! Don't get me wrong I still want the countryside as well but I know I have made more friends being in the city and do far more than I could/would have done if I had gone straight to the countryside.