Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

italy here i come!!

italy here i come!!

Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

patricia218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default italy here i come!!

Hello all..new to site ..desperately need help/advice..in February I want to come to Italy for 3 months. I will rent out my home here in Britain asap and I intend to go South and work up..I would like to start at Palermo and can fly from Stanstead on Ryanair..the problem is when I arrive. I have become square eyed looking for places to stay and only seem to be able to find Holiday Lets for 2 people. I want to rent a room/apartment and will have about £300 to £350 per month. I would like a month in Sicily then would like to go to Calabria and then up to Naples. How can I find where to rent PLEASE. I have never ever done anything like this in my life. I have always longed to and now my son is off at Uni the chance is here. Incidentally, Im too old for a Hostel!! PLEASE help..any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:10 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: italy here i come!!

try the immobiliari listings in the Yellow pages (pagine giallo). Most will do affito - rentals, as well as sales. Sorry if my spellings are off! Also the hostels here are very different to the ones in the UK - if there is one in Palermo it might be worth looking at as a starting point. There are a few in Florence with single rooms, internet etc. but at around €40 a night. Don't write them off! You should find something in the South for that amount a month but the further north you come the more difficult it will get. €350 a month in Florence will only get you a room in a shared house.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your trouble..i shall look up the italy yellow pages..i hope i can find somewhere!!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

randomguy will become famous soon enough

Good Luck and hope you have fun
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

wanabethere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by patricia218
Hello all..new to site ..desperately need help/advice..in February I want to come to Italy for 3 months. I will rent out my home here in Britain asap and I intend to go South and work up..I would like to start at Palermo and can fly from Stanstead on Ryanair..the problem is when I arrive. I have become square eyed looking for places to stay and only seem to be able to find Holiday Lets for 2 people. I want to rent a room/apartment and will have about £300 to £350 per month. I would like a month in Sicily then would like to go to Calabria and then up to Naples. How can I find where to rent PLEASE. I have never ever done anything like this in my life. I have always longed to and now my son is off at Uni the chance is here. Incidentally, Im too old for a Hostel!! PLEASE help..any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I am so delighted that you are going to live your dream. I hope everything goes very well for you. Can you keep in contact with the forum and let us know how you are doing and tell of your adventures . It would be lovely to hear all about it.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement..still searching for place to rent ..will keep you up to date on Dolce Vita!! Please answer my questions x
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

nbrome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
You should find something in the South for that amount a month but the further north you come the more difficult it will get. €350 a month in Florence will only get you a room in a shared house.
It won't even get you that in Rome. You won't find much below 450, and that's just the rent, doesn't include condominium, lighting, gas etc.
But good luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

350 euro a month will only get you a room in a shared house in Naples too. If you're looking for a place of your own then the only hope would be to go well out of the city. If your whole trip is going to be 3 months long, then you'd probably be better looking for cheap hotels / B+Bs. Some places might do you a deal if you say you're staying for, say a month. Enjoy!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:11 am
Just Joined

aly2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Patricia

There is a forum which I hope I'm allowed to post here,
incalabriapropertyforum.com there is a link there for property to rent in Calabria, you may be able to find something there to suit your pocket.

Good luck on living your dream and i hope you find what you want.

Aly

PS hope the link is allowed but i found the address for this forum on that site.

Last edited by jdr; Jan 3rd 2009 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

irish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really niceirish girl in italy is just really nice

Would like to suggest something a bit out of the ordinary. I have an Australian friend who stayed with nuns, they rented her a room short term for a few euro a night. She had use of a kitchen but shared a bathroom. Okay, some might find the idea hilarious but it was very clean and very safe. I'm sorry I can't point you in the right direction as how to go about this but sure someone else might be able to advise you.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:28 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just do a google search on convents and retreats in Italy. There are a few here as well, one caution though, there are few places like this in Florence, some are for people travelling and some are homeless hostels - the difference isn't always apparent and the names can look alike outside the building. We have a hostel for travellers and a homeless hostel on opposite corners to each other here! And the one for travellers is in the church complex, plus it has a homeless hostel on it's opposite side. The Franciscans are very active in this area here. For nuns it tends to be the Carmelites.