Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italy and the Eurozone

Italy and the Eurozone

Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Italy and the Eurozone

Originally Posted by sunnysider
Hi Sancho.

Thanks for the original post and for helping to keep this on track

I took it that when italondon said "the problem with Italy is Italy" he did mean that it was an issue beyond the much maligned (and just possibly rather convenient in my view) casta.

I agree with both of you that as far as I can see Renzi, despite saying lots of things which seem to have identified the problems, appears to have done sod all.

And Letta before him.

(I was due to see Letta give a lecture at the London School of Economics in February this year by the way. Then on Feb 14 the LSE announced, in priceless prose, that the event had been postponed/cancelled "due to unforeseen circumstances". I personally would have loved for him to have gone ahead with the promise (perhaps forlorn) that he might let rip and say what he really thought/felt.
The thing is no Italian was asked whether he wanted the euro or not. This is essentially an antidemocratic tool imposed on several countries. As far as Italy goes, the likes of ciampi and prodi made this deal, the people were not asked to vote on this subject.
I think you are getting too bogged down on the corruption thing, Italy has always been corrupt but enjoyed economic prosperity during those times of corruption. Take the1980s for example, when I grew up I remember many families having the casa al mare in montagna and many millions of lira in the bank in the form of bot ccp et etc. And the 1980s class of politicians was certainly corrupt....

Let's not think the euro is this sacred cow or a bastion of morality cause it isn't. To me it makes no difference if the corrupt is berlusconi or Mrs lagarde.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fleetwoodmac1975
The thing is no Italian was asked whether he wanted the euro or not. This is essentially an antidemocratic tool imposed on several countries.
Dear All, it is a long time since I read the forum for the last time...today I found a couple of minute to read some of most recent posts.
I have not time to answer in detail to this thread, I hope I can do it next week from Doha.

I just say now - in order to clear all doubts - that in Italy the "referendum" can only abrogate an existing low and that it is not possible to have a referendum on economic matter. So, no direct voting on Euro/non Euro is possible. It is only possible to vote against the economic policy of a government in political elections. But due to the fact that mainstream TV/newspapers and so on (also La Repubblica) always recited the Euro "mantra", people are convinced that we cannot do without it, that we "lived above our possibilities" and other "truisms".

Forgive me, I hope to come back to this thread some of the next days with a more articulated post.

ciao, Primula
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

isshin is an unknown quantity at this point

You're absolutely right, Primula
It is true that the Constitution doesn't allow to have a referendum on economic matters, but we could have one on the ratification of Treaties by the Parliament, and we didn't.
We've been fed with all this eurosh*t and we haven't seen or tried anything else than the German dictatorship.
The "lived above our possibilities" is also a big fat lie. Unlike other debt-driven and letshaveamortgageforeverything cultures that you can find around Europe, private savings in Italy are quite high and families tend to own their houses.
Sadly we gave away our sovereignty, and now not being able to spend a cent to promote growth and employment is what we've been rewarded with. Saluti
Old Aug 19th 2014, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by isshin
You're absolutely right, Primula
It is true that the Constitution doesn't allow to have a referendum on economic matters, but we could have one on the ratification of Treaties by the Parliament, and we didn't.
We've been fed with all this eurosh*t and we haven't seen or tried anything else than the German dictatorship.
The "lived above our possibilities" is also a big fat lie. Unlike other debt-driven and letshaveamortgageforeverything cultures that you can find around Europe, private savings in Italy are quite high and families tend to own their houses.
Sadly we gave away our sovereignty, and now not being able to spend a cent to promote growth and employment is what we've been rewarded with. Saluti
Exactly. We are not a democracy. It makes me f...k laugh this thing about living above our possibilities. I mean in the 1980s the politicians were as corrupt if not more than today yet there was a lot of prosperity in Italy, but those were times where at least in foreign policy we had a pair of bollocks, I remember the lampedusa case and craxi telling Ronald Regan to f...k off.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

The institution of the Euro is part of the Maastricht Treaty and therefore it cannot be subject to referendum (art 75 Costituzione : "Non è ammesso il referendum per le leggi tributarie e di bilancio [cfr. art. 81], di amnistia e di indulto [cfr. art. 79], di autorizzazione a ratificare trattati internazionali [cfr. art. 80]."

I remember when the Euro was officialy introduced in 1999 (we had bank accounts in Euro back then but cash transactions in Liras) the public opinion was enthousiast and only ultra-Left fringes complained about the Euro. We knew it would have made us uncomptetitive but we hoped that it would have increase our intra-EU turnover. It actually did, but to our disantvantage. We import from Germany more than we should and we don't export as much as we should, but this is part our fault because we are not good at marketing ourselves.

Last edited by gioppino; Aug 19th 2014 at 12:21 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gioppino
The institution of the Euro is part of the Maastricht Treaty and therefore it cannot be subject to referendum (art 75 Costituzione : "Non è ammesso il referendum per le leggi tributarie e di bilancio [cfr. art. 81], di amnistia e di indulto [cfr. art. 79], di autorizzazione a ratificare trattati internazionali [cfr. art. 80]."

I remember when the Euro was officialy introduced in 1999 (we had bank accounts in Euro back then but cash transactions in Liras) the public opinion was enthousiast and only ultra-Left fringes complained about the Euro. We knew it would have made us uncomptetitive but we hoped that it would have increase our intra-EU turnover. It actually did, but to our disantvantage. We import from Germany more than we should and we don't export as much as we should, but this is part our fault because we are not good at marketing ourselves.
We don't market ourselves but we shoot ourselves in the foot.
Look at Servegnini, this imbecile does nothing but denigrate his own country in the media, he writes on the FT bad things about Italy all the time, never anything positive.

Regarding marketing, I visited some hotels and resorts in popular resorts in the FE recently as part of my job and I'll let you into a little secret, Sardinia is much better and its beaches are in no way inferior to those I have seen in the FE. Yet I've seen many adverts on TV for resorts around the world yet nothing on Sardinia. We are sitting on a gold mine in Italy but we don't do anything to promote it.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

We are sitting on a gold mine in Italy but we don't do anything to promote it.
Literally, because we have the 4th biggest gold reserves in the world.

I think it has to do with the fact the most Italians don't speak a reasonable level of English, therefore they stay behind the news and have a difficult time to be heard.

As you have mentioned that "useful halfwit" Severgnini, his English would be decent to work in a factory in UK, but he's considered a genius.

When you attend G20, UN or EU negotiations you need to be able to speak to the English speaking counterparts on a peer-to-peer level, instead we have that Mr Bean-lookalike "Renzie" who is a basically a muppet and not even funny.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

As regards Severgnini, i think he's considered a genius because he keeps writing on FT the side of the story everyone wants to hear.

An example: the Guardian online hasn't done any coverage of the two young italian girls kidnapped in Syria or the reporter killed in Gaza, still they keep blabbering about pickpockets in Rome and the following reaction by Marino.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

As regards Severgnini, i think he's considered a genius because he keeps writing on FT the side of the story everyone wants to hear.

An example: the Guardian online hasn't done any coverage of the two young italian girls kidnapped in Syria or the reporter killed in Gaza, still they keep blabbering about pickpockets in Rome and the following reaction by Marino.
the guardian only covers Syria under the orders of the establishment. No mention of course that the only one who is fighting on the Christian side in Syria is guess who...Mr Bashar himself. All this talk about helping Christians in Iraq (ergo oilfields in Irbril), fair enough, but lets forget the Christians in Syria who are being slaugthered by ISIS / Nusra, David Cameron does not bother about those...

Last edited by fleetwoodmac1975; Aug 19th 2014 at 4:00 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Just had a look at the news, I think the british foreign office should worry more about its own citizens decapitating foreign journalists in me rather than a handful of bag snatchers in Rome...
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a look at the news, I think the british foreign office should worry more about its own citizens decapitating foreign journalists in me rather than a handful of bag snatchers in Rome...
Would have thought that on balance there are likely to be far more tourists, of whatever nationality, in danger of being pickpocketed in Rome; than of foreign journalists being decaapitated in middle east. The UK government is doing its institutional duty by giving foreign travel advice; whether it be to watch out for pickpockets in Rome, or anywhere else; or to avoid Syria for beach holidays at the moment. And you know that as well as I do.
bye bye dicette l'inglese.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

...but you cannot compare the two facts!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ononno

I'm sure you meant well but I am afraid you are allowing him to do one of his bizarrely motivated thread diversions - all of which sign off with an equally bizarre attack on supposedly disloyal Italians of one ilk or other.

Anyone got any information/reasoned views/Italian clips on Italy and the Eurozone?

Whatever happens it seems pretty clear that the next year is going to be, er, interesting, what with Renzi and Draghi's meetings etc etc.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Let's hope that the UK foreign office will give "travel advice" to black citizens willing to travel in Missouri, as well as the ones in Rome.
Or there are good friends and bad friends?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:48 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

What a ridiculous direction this thread has taken! Heaven forbid we musn't offend or upset the Italians. The FCO issued a warning based on the large number of stolen passport reported to the consulate. The consulate even handed out leaflets in the squares.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.