British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Italian substitute for reblochon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/italian-substitute-reblochon-907400/)

Accetturese Jan 2nd 2018 2:11 pm

Italian substitute for reblochon

Anyone who has skiied in France will (should) know what Tartiflette is.
We brought a stock of reblochon cheese with us when we last drove out, but it's running low. Doe's anyone know of an Italian cheese that would be an acceptable substitute? If we can't find anything suitable we're going to have to take a trip in the spring...

37100 Jan 2nd 2018 5:19 pm

Re: Italian substitute for reblochon

Originally Posted by Accetturese (Post 12409148)
We brought a stock of reblochon cheese with us when we last drove out, but it's running low. Doe's anyone know of an Italian cheese that would be an acceptable substitute? If we can't find anything suitable we're going to have to take a trip in the spring...

Try taleggio.

philat98 Jan 2nd 2018 6:13 pm

Our local Ipercoop keeps quite a few French cheeses and sometimes has a festival of French cheese.

Sancho Jan 2nd 2018 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Accetturese (Post 12409148)

La tartiflette. Italica. - Il Cavoletto di Bruxelles

fliss59 Jan 2nd 2018 6:41 pm

Taleggio. I used to use it in uk as well as cheaper than reblochon

jonwel Jan 3rd 2018 7:34 am

I've found reblochon at Esselunga without paying through the nose. Still, I'm all for using native products and taleggio should be a good substitute as others have said.

Margaret M Jan 3rd 2018 12:47 pm

I have a recipe for Tartiflette which uses Brie.

philat98 Jan 3rd 2018 3:36 pm

I watched a couple of French recipes and I see they use creme fraiche too. Not so easy to find here. Quite a good recipe for a cold winters evening.

37100 Jan 3rd 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12410086)
I watched a couple of French recipes and I see they use creme fraiche too. Not so easy to find here.

In the north, pretty much every supermarket now stock creme fraiche.

fliss59 Jan 3rd 2018 10:20 pm

I can’t find crime fraiche so I mix sour cream with marscapone and it has the same effect

Accetturese Jan 8th 2018 7:17 am

Thanks all. Teleggio will be tried and I will report back:)

GeorgeYoung Jan 11th 2018 7:53 pm

I'd have thought a taleggio might be a bit strong for a tartiflette, so you could blend it with some ricotta or marscapone which would have the benefit of avoiding the need for creme fraiche as well.

Accetturese Jan 13th 2018 5:42 pm

Taleggio worked very well. Not as delicate a flavour as reblochon but very nice indeed. I wouldn't use it if reblochon was available, but it's a perfectly acceptable substitute. Thanks for the advice.