Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian speeding points on UK licence :(

Italian speeding points on UK licence :(

Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of
Default Italian speeding points on UK licence :(

Great start to the new year, €135 fine and 3 points! Have any of you been unlucky and had Italian points and a UK licence?
Given the way that penalty points are more liberally shelled out in Italy and that the maximum number permitted before revocation of licence is much higher than in the UK, do they dump the same number of points onto a UK licence or are fewer added?
If the process is all too difficult then my better half could agree to have been the driver and take the points on her Italian licence. (Boy, that's going to cost a lot of brownie points!)
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian speeding points on UK licence :(

Originally Posted by Plan B
Great start to the new year, €135 fine and 3 points! Have any of you been unlucky and had Italian points and a UK licence?
Given the way that penalty points are more liberally shelled out in Italy and that the maximum number permitted before revocation of licence is much higher than in the UK, do they dump the same number of points onto a UK licence or are fewer added?
Best to ring the DVLA to check.

If the process is all too difficult then my better half could agree to have been the driver and take the points on her Italian licence. (Boy, that's going to cost a lot of brownie points!)
A certain government minster and his wife went to prison for that so I wouldn't recommend it.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the law has changed in the past year or two, which I doubt, Italian points don't go onto your English licence. As far as I remember (looking into it, I was lucky enough never to have had the problem) the system is that the Italian police create a 'virtual Italian licence' from which the points are deducted. Any subsequent deductions are then applied to the same 'virtual licence' and if/when they finally run out you are banned from driving in Italy.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought that if I got points in the UK I could get a ticket in Italy and have them removed. *sigh* Another dream shattered. ;-)
Old Jan 11th 2018, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Thanks Serrano, I hope you are right!
Old Jan 13th 2018, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Serrano is correct, the 2 systems are completely different. In Italy you start with 20 points.

You will only have to pay the fine. And even if you have an Italian licence, if you do not commit any new offences in the next 2 years the points are given back to you.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you KNOW when you get these points back ??

On a different point...............

I just renewed my Italian DL and it has arrived and looks very similar to the old one, BUT there is no address on it ??

Is this something new ??

PSG
Old Apr 17th 2018, 4:27 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PSG2014
How do you KNOW when you get these points back ??

On a different point...............

I just renewed my Italian DL and it has arrived and looks very similar to the old one, BUT there is no address on it ??

Is this something new ??

PSG

You can check your points here:

https://www.ilportaledellautomobilis...-punti-patente

Yes, they no longer put your address on DL's.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Scamper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi people I to have gains point's and a fine for 2 offences I've paid the Fine's. But can anyone tell me why the Italian police want my license thanks
Old Apr 28th 2019, 2:35 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamper
Hi people I to have gains point's and a fine for 2 offences I've paid the Fine's. But can anyone tell me why the Italian police want my license thanks
What were the points for?
Old Apr 28th 2019, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Scamper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 37100
What were the points for?
hi the Italian police want my license for SPEEDING but can't understand why if they create a virtual licence
Old Apr 28th 2019, 9:36 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Scamper
hi the Italian police want my license for SPEEDING but can't understand why if they create a virtual licence
Unless you were seriously over the speed limit, presumably they wish to check the details on your licence and register it in their system.
Old May 5th 2019, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

One thing no one seems to have suggested (probably because it's too obvious) is to avoid speeding in future and respect the rules of the road! I know that on the motorway you've got people exceeding the speed limit all around you, but that's their problem, not yours.
Old May 9th 2019, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Italian speeding points on UK licence :(

I don't think you can get points on your UK licence for speeding in Italy - although I may well be wrong.

Personally I've never yet had a speeding ticket from Italy, although I have had one each from Germany and Austria and both of them only involved paying a generously small fine. Was your speeding offence on the Autostrada or in the streets of a built up area...? I'm curious because despite the presence of that "Tutor" average speed monitoring thing on the Autostrada, everyone still seems to just drive at whatever speed they feel like, and nothing but nothing ever stops them from playing with their mobile phones while driving at 100mph..