Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian residency

Italian residency

Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

babsandbob has a spectacular aura aboutbabsandbob has a spectacular aura aboutbabsandbob has a spectacular aura about
Default Italian residency

Does anyone have experience or information on obtaining residency in Italy?
We are from the UK.
We have the E111 cards and will be retiring to Italy soon. We are 58.
Someone has told us, to get your residency, you have to have private medical insurance. Is this true?
Barbara
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Italian residency

Originally Posted by babsandbob
Does anyone have experience or information on obtaining residency in Italy?
We are from the UK.
We have the E111 cards and will be retiring to Italy soon. We are 58.
Someone has told us, to get your residency, you have to have private medical insurance. Is this true?
Barbara
Hi Barbara, we have been here for just over 3 months and although my husband has private health care through work, I do not. I have not heard of any restriction on residency due to lack of private health cover.

You can't get registered with a doctor until you have residency so it is recommended that until you get the residency you have some private health cover, or the E111, for emergencies.

Where abouts in Italy are you moving to? Further south the health care systems are not so good, from what I understand, so it maybe wise to sort out something if you are heading that way.

To get the residency you have to first sort out your codice fiscale (done at the comune where you will be living), then when you have that you can go to the comune and apply for residency, taking your passport and marriage cert, along with any tenancy docs if you are renting or purchase docs if you buy a property. They then visit you to make sure you are living where you say you are and it should just be a case of signing a form on the visit.

Hope this helps and good luck with your move over here.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

babsandbob has a spectacular aura aboutbabsandbob has a spectacular aura aboutbabsandbob has a spectacular aura about

Hi CarrieW,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
We have bought a house in Cantalupo, Imperia and plan to move over next March.
We already have obtained our codice fiscale numbers.
I think our next step in to apply for permission to stay and then you can apply for residency.
At least, now, we know we don't have to have private medical insurance. We're not sure what to do. I suppose we could get some quotes. I don't know if it would be worth it or to just rely on the E111 cover.
Also, we will need to buy a car, but can't until we get residency, so will have to find some cheap way to hire one for a while when we first arrive. There seems to be an awful lot to think about. I'm sure it'll sort itself out in the end.
Regards
Barbara
Originally Posted by CarrieW
Hi Barbara, we have been here for just over 3 months and although my husband has private health care through work, I do not. I have not heard of any restriction on residency due to lack of private health cover.

You can't get registered with a doctor until you have residency so it is recommended that until you get the residency you have some private health cover, or the E111, for emergencies.

Where abouts in Italy are you moving to? Further south the health care systems are not so good, from what I understand, so it maybe wise to sort out something if you are heading that way.

To get the residency you have to first sort out your codice fiscale (done at the comune where you will be living), then when you have that you can go to the comune and apply for residency, taking your passport and marriage cert, along with any tenancy docs if you are renting or purchase docs if you buy a property. They then visit you to make sure you are living where you say you are and it should just be a case of signing a form on the visit.

Hope this helps and good luck with your move over here.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by babsandbob
Hi CarrieW,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
We have bought a house in Cantalupo, Imperia and plan to move over next March.
We already have obtained our codice fiscale numbers.
I think our next step in to apply for permission to stay and then you can apply for residency.
At least, now, we know we don't have to have private medical insurance. We're not sure what to do. I suppose we could get some quotes. I don't know if it would be worth it or to just rely on the E111 cover.
Also, we will need to buy a car, but can't until we get residency, so will have to find some cheap way to hire one for a while when we first arrive. There seems to be an awful lot to think about. I'm sure it'll sort itself out in the end.
Regards
Barbara
My husband worked here for a while before we moved over, rented a flat and bought a car without having residency, just his codice fiscale - might be worth looking into to save those hire car charges.

BTW - Car insurance is a lot dearer here than in the UK so sit down when you get quotes!!

If there is anything else we can help with just drop me an e-mail - no point worrying about things if someone else can help

Kind regards
Carrie
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

[Hi Carrie,
Many thanks for the information.
Did your husband buy a brand new car, or second hand?
We've been told that 3rd party insurance is what most people get, but have been told that, even that, is expensive. Did your husband get lots of quotes, as it must be difficult if you don't speak the language (we don't)
My husband's Mother was a war bride from Naples and married Rob's Father, a Welshman. She never taught her sons Italian, unfortunately.
Do you like your life in Italy? Whereabouts are you living.? We went over 3 times during the summer, to look at property and found everyone so helpful and friendly.
I'm sure I'll think of tons more to ask you. Thank you so much.
Barbara

. QUOTE=CarrieW]My husband worked here for a while before we moved over, rented a flat and bought a car without having residency, just his codice fiscale - might be worth looking into to save those hire car charges.

BTW - Car insurance is a lot dearer here than in the UK so sit down when you get quotes!!

If there is anything else we can help with just drop me an e-mail - no point worrying about things if someone else can help

Kind regards
Carrie[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi Barbara,
My husband bought a new car (VW) - I will send you a private e-mail on with some details of the insurance etc as it is a nightmare! Thankfully my husband speaks quite good Italian now - I don't know what I would have done otherwise

Kind regards
Carrie
Old Oct 19th 2006, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

[Thank you so much Carrie.
Will send a longer reply later, as I've got to go out now.
kind regards
Barbara QUOTE=CarrieW]Hi Barbara,
My husband bought a new car (VW) - I will send you a private e-mail on with some details of the insurance etc as it is a nightmare! Thankfully my husband speaks quite good Italian now - I don't know what I would have done otherwise

Kind regards
Carrie[/QUOTE]