Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian mini-bots & Target2

Italian mini-bots & Target2

Old Jun 11th 2019, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian mini-bots & Target2

Italy, as a founder member of the EU, will not be thrown out of the euro. It would be counter productive for the other euro states. It would have to leave. Whilst that may be what Salvini wants, it is virtually impossibile - it would require a change to the constitution to even permit a referendum and the italians are still in favour of Europe. Instead Italy will be treated as was Greece and raped and burnt by the other major European euro players. As to whether its the right time to buy a property, Id say that if you just want a good deal, then Italy isnt a place you should invest.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by modicasa
it would require a change to the constitution to even permit a referendum
A referendum is not constitutional in the UK either, but as we've seen it's enough for the government to hold a "consultation" and commit itself to respecting the result.

No comment on the rest of the discussion!
Old Jun 11th 2019, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Bravo modicasa. In this I am in agreement with you.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Jun 11th 2019 at 7:35 am.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

ah yes Jonwel, but Italy has a written constitution, and any change to that must go through a torutuous referendum process - see Renzi'sf failure.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I too agee with Modicasa, but would say anyone "investing" in property in Italy has not done their homework, which the OP is doing here, I think?
Old Jun 11th 2019, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

SimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Capo Boi, nice to meet you, and thank you for the advice.

You'd have to admit though, that the German tax payer being well and truly on the hook for A Trillion Euro (I might be exaggerating here, but not much) of unrepayable Italian debt is just an itsy bitsy little ironic???

Do you reckon they've figured it out yet? I don't get to speak to many Germans. They don't let me out much ;0)

Also I couldn't possible argue with the fact that the sun will indeed rise tomorrow, however you can't blame me for considering the purchase of a pair of welders goggles rather than sitting in a darkened room picking fluff from my belly button whilst the solar eclipse is happening outside!
Old Jun 11th 2019, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

SimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond reputeSimonTam has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Modicasa, a pleasure to meet you too!

Very interesting reply.

I should at this point apologise to everyone as I think I've thrown you a bit of a curved ball I'm afraid.

When using the word Invest, I guess I was lazily using it in the Gordon Brown/New Labour sense of the word rather than the more traditional Share Holder sense. Of course I have absolutely no anticipation of making a single solitary brass Razoo on any property I may purchase, indeed I have no doubt we'd be in really ugly levels of negative equity the morning after receiving the keys, in fact you may notice in another thread I made the point that we are vary wary about the location of our purchase for the fear of effectively being trapped in an area we're unhappy with.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Simon,

Your number of a triillion I would say is pretty much spot on.

But the key is that it is effectively a German surplus without Germany being able to withdraw or use the funds. So on an Italian default, Germany’s balance goes to zero and I would guess that they would not be happy bunnies about this but it is a purely bookkeeping balance and maybe they would get over it.
What would happen though is that Italy would almost certainly not be able to finance its budget deficit externally so inflation and interest rates would only go the one way...ie up, up up and the currency, down, down, down. So economically ((disregarding the potentially huge social consequences) you would be brave to buy in this scenario. But, and I repeat, the sun is still going to rise tomorrow.

Best wishes

CB.

Old Jun 11th 2019, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just seen your new post. I’m in agreement with you. Good post.