Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian license in the UK

Italian license in the UK

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Italian license in the UK

When we got the notification about DH's points I filled in the form and sent of the cheque for £60 which has been cashed. This was in December and we've not heard anything since.
I'm going to ring the DVLA now just to see if DH needs to goto court !!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Ok just spoke to merseyside police and they said that they have created a "Ghost" license for DH and put the ponts on that. They then sent a record to DVLA and if he gets any further points they will just be added to this ghost license. DVLA said he doens't need to change his license. Both DVLA and police now consider this matter closed. PHEW !!!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 2:49 pm
Giorgio Miles

Cliftonensis is on a distinguished road

My understanding is that in Italy you start with 20 points and loose them for various offences.

There was quite a bit of publicity a few years ago that a EU wide agreement had been reached which allowed points to be applied to any countries licence.

This was to stop people on holiday running back home without paying the fine.

Having said that I got a parking ticket here on my car with UK plates still and I took no action. DVLA still insist on claiming I did not tell them I had exported the car and wont discuss it. Currently they are trying to clamp it because I will not pay a fine! - good luck to them. They do not even know which country it is in!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 8:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cliftonensis
My understanding is that in Italy you start with 20 points and loose them for various offences.

There was quite a bit of publicity a few years ago that a EU wide agreement had been reached which allowed points to be applied to any countries licence.

This was to stop people on holiday running back home without paying the fine.

Having said that I got a parking ticket here on my car with UK plates still and I took no action. DVLA still insist on claiming I did not tell them I had exported the car and wont discuss it. Currently they are trying to clamp it because I will not pay a fine! - good luck to them. They do not even know which country it is in!
I hope they clamp you when it`s pissing down with rain, give you an on the spot fine and you have to walk home cos you ain`t got any money left.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

A ghost license?! So you could got full points in Italy and full points n the ghost license ..... ? hmmm
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:49 am
Giorgio Miles

Originally Posted by jdr
I hope they clamp you when it`s pissing down with rain, give you an on the spot fine and you have to walk home cos you ain`t got any money left.
I would like to see them try. The point is the car is in Italy with me so the fine is not due. They are at fault because they just ignore my correspondence.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see them try. The point is the car is in Italy with me so the fine is not due. They are at fault because they just ignore my correspondence.
It may be you at fault for not following the rules of DVLA while the vehicle has been out the UK.
Full info is on their website about it still being under UK regulations until it is legally exported.
If it is not taxed they can squash it regardless of which country it is in if it is still on UK plates.
You can see one on youtube getting the treatment.

Old Jun 6th 2010, 2:33 pm
Giorgio Miles

The point I made was that I did notify them as required - in fact I sent them both versions as advised by them by phone.
Since they have said they did not receive them (or lost them more like) I have emailed them three times but they will not respond because a regional office issued the fine and the regional office is not contactable by phone or email.
I have copies of the screens where I have notified them as proof.
Anyway I only responded to this topic to point out the different point schemes. So now I am un-subscribing from it.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

The point I made was that I did notify them as required - in fact I sent them both versions as advised by them by phone.
Since they have said they did not receive them (or lost them more like) I have emailed them three times but they will not respond because a regional office issued the fine and the regional office is not contactable by phone or email.
I have copies of the screens where I have notified them as proof.
Anyway I only responded to this topic to point out the different point schemes. So now I am un-subscribing from it.
Pay yer dues, they need it to pay my pension.