Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian license in the UK

Italian license in the UK

Old May 31st 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Italian license in the UK

I'm back in the UK and have an Italian license. I haven't converted my license as I read that I don't need to. I've been wondering what happens if I get any points on my license? Can they be put on my Itaiian license?

Grazie
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Italian license in the UK

My Dh has still got his Italian licence, the DVLA said he could use it for 5 years, I have my UK one, never changed it all the time in Italy
He got caught doing 35 in a 30 mile zone a few months ago and although the letter came to me (the car is in my name) Ijust filled the form in with his details then he got a letter informing him he was being charged £60 and 3 points on his licence. I presume they put the points on his Italian licence as they never queried anything and we haven't heard anything back to say there have been problems.
Its taken DH a while to get used to driving back in UK, he still has a habit of cruising in the middle lane of the motorway which really annoys me !!!! Actually maybe thats why he does it !!
xx
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thanks. So the letter must go to where the car is registered then, rather than where the license is registered.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I don't think the DVLA can put points on an Italian license. When my wife was caught by a speeding camera when we lived over there. I received the notice as it was my car. I filled the form out stating my wife was the driver.
They then wrote to my wife to offer her 3 points and a £60 fine (providing her licence was issued by DVLA) If not she would have to appear before the court. The letter also stated that failing to comply could mean a prison sentence. Usual small print.

I wrote on my wife's behalf a great grovelling letter in very poor English and loads of spelling mistakes. Including stuff like. Pleese my licence is Catania non DVLA. Do I steel send licence you. I never went to prison what must I do. I am sorry for trouble next time in your country I drive slower ect.

She received a letter back, letting her off the speeding fine but also claiming that if she is caught again this speeding incident "might be taken into account".

AN Italian friend of mine was also caught by a camera, he just filled in the form without sending a grovelling broken english letter. (I did suggest it) He went to court and was fined £80.00 and told by the magistrate that if she is staying in the UK she should exchange her licence. But didn't demand that she should.

PS. My wife's English is first class, (perfectionist) she wasn't too impressed over my letter when she found out.

Just found this
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022556

Last edited by Pecora Nera; Jun 1st 2010 at 9:33 pm. Reason: Found a link
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm scared now. If they say I have to have points on my license (non DVLA), or go to court, what choice do I have? Is writing a grovelling letter an option really? I'm British with an Italian license. I reckon I should convert it soon for an easier life.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
I'm scared now. If they say I have to have points on my license (non DVLA), or go to court, what choice do I have? Is writing a grovelling letter an option really? I'm British with an Italian license. I reckon I should convert it soon for an easier life.
Oops didn't mean to scare you. You can change your licence, all the info is on the DVLA link I posted.

Personally I would rather have a larger fine than points. 12 points and you are banned, and there are so many cameras in the UK. How long have you been back?

I wonder what the Italians do to a UK licence?

I guess the best bet is to drive just under the speed limit ... difficult

Last edited by Pecora Nera; Jun 1st 2010 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete Grey
Oops didn't mean to scare you. You can change your licence, all the info is on the DVLA link I posted.

Personally I would rather have a larger fine than points. 12 points and you are banned, and there are so many cameras in the UK. How long have you been back?

I wonder what the Italians do to a UK licence?

I guess the best bet is to drive just under the speed limit ... difficult
I seem to remember that there is a system for UK licence holders who get caught in Italy. I can't remember the source of this info (though I remember it was a reputable online source, not just word of mouth). IIRC what they do is to create a 'virtual licence' for you here in Italy, to which the points are added. When this reaches the limit (20?) you lose the right to drive here.

Foreign countries adding points to other countries' licences wouldn't work, not least for the simple reason that the number of points required to lose your licence varies by country.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Serrano
I seem to remember that there is a system for UK licence holders who get caught in Italy. I can't remember the source of this info (though I remember it was a reputable online source, not just word of mouth). IIRC what they do is to create a 'virtual licence' for you here in Italy, to which the points are added. When this reaches the limit (20?) you lose the right to drive here.

Foreign countries adding points to other countries' licences wouldn't work, not least for the simple reason that the number of points required to lose your licence varies by country.
I think you're likely to go bankrupt here before you lost your licence if I remember rightly!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
Another bit here
Strange though cos if you change to a Spanish licence you can change back too UK one with no test if you return.
If you get pulled for speeding and you have a UK licence they make you change to a Spanish one so they can adjust the points.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Another bit here
Strange though cos if you change to a Spanish licence you can change back too UK one with no test if you return.
If you get pulled for speeding and you have a UK licence they make you change to a Spanish one so they can adjust the points.
I have read through all the relevant bits here. If my interpretation is correct (and I can see no ambiguity) you can drive on your EU licence for 3 years after becoming resident / while it is valid / up to age 70 . You can exchange your valid EU licence for a UK one, provided it had not been obtained by exchanging a non-EU one.

There is, of course, a cost for getting the UK licence (surprise, surprise), but no test.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by indiebird
I think you're likely to go bankrupt here before you lost your licence if I remember rightly!
Agreed. The old Italian story, theory vs. practice.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have read through all the relevant bits here. If my interpretation is correct (and I can see no ambiguity) you can drive on your EU licence for 3 years after becoming resident / while it is valid / up to age 70 . You can exchange your valid EU licence for a UK one, provided it had not been obtained by exchanging a non-EU one.

There is, of course, a cost for getting the UK licence (surprise, surprise), but no test.
Only one year, I followed the online application and put that I had a licence from Italy.
On the link are the answers I gave to the questions.
They must of changed the rules cos I was told it was an automatic change back to British licence if you had changed to your country of previous residence.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
Only one year, I followed the online application and put that I had a licence from Italy.
On the link are the answers I gave to the questions.
They must of changed the rules cos I was told it was an automatic change back to British licence if you had changed to your country of previous residence.
To get to the page you lnked, you have to say that your licence was issued in 'any other country' - see the Previous Answers bit at the bottom of the page. If you change it to 'EC country' you get a different answer. However, this part is focused on exchanging licences. More appropriate information is in fact given here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022556 - that is if I have done the link correctly.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

gpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nice

Hi,

The points system is different in the UK to that of Italy. I'm in Italy with a British licence, they can't put points on my UK licence but they do send another 250 Euro fine (Italian drivers who don't want the points can opt for this system too - it kind of defeats the object really).

The UK is the same (as in they can't put points on your licence) they will however, take you to court (where you'll have to pay costs and a fine).

Up to you really, it would probably be easier to change your licence, but there really is no obligation to do so at the moment.

Regards,

G.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

To get to the page you lnked, you have to say that your licence was issued in 'any other country' - see the Previous Answers bit at the bottom of the page. If you change it to 'EC country' you get a different answer. However, this part is focused on exchanging licences. More appropriate information is in fact given here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022556 - that is if I have done the link correctly.
Yeah sorry, I missed the Euro option and put in Italy.
Maybe that part doesn`t know which countries are in the EU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.